Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-06-2020, 23:31   #61
Maz2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Reeves View Post
Avoid debt and credit cards while furnishing house. If you need flooring it's the actual extras that catch you. The adhesive, grout and Reims for tiling, the damp seal, underlay, trims and beading. These cost the same whether you but good quality or poorer quality products. If buying wooden floor look for AC 4 or 5 as these are harder wearing and will not mark easily.

A lot of charity shops now have a furniture section some of the furniture can be of an excellent quality. You could pick up sitting room suits, tables, chairs, etc for a few hundred euro. Check second had furniture shops for ex hotel beds the quality will be excellent you will often find odds and ends in both these places as well.

IKEA for all the smaller bits and pieces, from utensils, glasses, tableware, pots and pans to bath mats, curtains, toilet roll holders. But check around other stores as well.

If you are capable a but of DIY such as hanging curtain rails and toilet roll holders you may need some tools. Lidl do a excellent brand in Parkside a batter drill is a must for anything from hanging curtains rails to putting flat packs togeather.

Electric goods some things are a priority, you will need a washing machine, and hob, you will get away without an oven for a while if need be, a microwave, you could do without a dishwasher for a few years if need be. You may come across some bits and pieces on DD. If you decide to buy all your electric goods together got to a few electric shops and most will give you a discount for buying 4-5 items together it might only be 30-50 euro but money is money
Thank you. That’s great advice. And very true on the electrical appliances. A work colleague built a house earlier on this year. Some electrical shops were not giving much off for a big order. She emailed around and a place in Tipperary gave her €100 off and a €100 one4allvoucher. So I’d definitely do this too
Advertisement
12-06-2020, 09:30   #62
Interested Observer

Depends a lot if you're buying new or an older house. We had a nice surprise after moving in finding our entire heating system needed to be replaced. If it's an older house then there's a good chance there'll be unforeseen costs.
12-06-2020, 09:39   #63
Nijmegen

I’ll echo strongly the “avoid debt” advice. Lots of even interest free loans to get you in and shifting new product. Easy to lump yourself with a load of new monthly outgoings that swamp you quicker than you expect. Pay for things with cash you have in your bank and make that the limiting factor on your expansion.

When I bought my first house I actually moved into a guest bedroom first as I didn’t have the money I needed for the bed I wanted. Got a decent but cheap bed and mattress and lived in that for a few weeks - and that’s all it was really, a few weeks. Got a hand me down sofa off a friends parents as they happened to be replacing it with a new suite. Got 4 years out of it before I went and replaced it, it was actually lovely to sit on but probably didn’t fit the decor of the house as it was outdated but let me tell you, free beats integrated style when you’re on a budget.

My suggestion is to go without for longer so you can afford things you really want or the quality you feel happiest with rather than buying cheaply and quick, unless it’s something essential like a fridge. So, do you need blinds and curtains on every room on day 1 or can you wait for the quality you want and do it slowly?

Good luck to you and anyone else reading this thread for advice!
Thanks from:
12-06-2020, 09:56   #64
Bass Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijmegen View Post
I’ll echo strongly the “avoid debt” advice. Lots of even interest free loans to get you in and shifting new product. Easy to lump yourself with a load of new monthly outgoings that swamp you quicker than you expect. Pay for things with cash you have in your bank and make that the limiting factor on your expansion.

When I bought my first house I actually moved into a guest bedroom first as I didn’t have the money I needed for the bed I wanted. Got a decent but cheap bed and mattress and lived in that for a few weeks - and that’s all it was really, a few weeks. Got a hand me down sofa off a friends parents as they happened to be replacing it with a new suite. Got 4 years out of it before I went and replaced it, it was actually lovely to sit on but probably didn’t fit the decor of the house as it was outdated but let me tell you, free beats integrated style when you’re on a budget.

My suggestion is to go without for longer so you can afford things you really want or the quality you feel happiest with rather than buying cheaply and quick, unless it’s something essential like a fridge. So, do you need blinds and curtains on every room on day 1 or can you wait for the quality you want and do it slowly?

Good luck to you and anyone else reading this thread for advice!
As well if you are willing to buy/use some cheap/free furniture and items you may come across, this allows you to spend more on items that you really do not want to be replacing in the next 4-5 years such as curtains and flooring. You to spend more on a fridge freezer if you get a tide me over telly. You could go for good quality tiles and timber flooring if you are willing to pick up cheap furniture.
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2020, 11:16   #65
SozBbz

Seriously people are far too hung up on stuff being new. Put the word out that you're looking to furnish your place in the interim and you'll be surprised how many people in your circle are going to be looking to get rid of something free/cheaply.

I've actually gotten some great things over the years because of the nature of the industry I work in, people are always moving and selling stuff. I bought a 55 inch TV for €150 (less than 2 years old and in perfect condition when two English lads that had come over to Dublin for work were moving back to the UK and looking to offload stuff. They'd obviously paid a lot more for it new but they weren't going to be flatmates when they moved home so sold anything they'd bought jointly and I happened to be nagging at my OH to buy a bigger TV. We'd probably have spend €1000 if we'd bought new, so this just made it a now brainer.

I also got some lovely vintage/period pieces from my own parents when I moved into my current house - in this case its ideal because I got items with real sentimental value and they're beautiful antiques and really fit the house as its 115 years old so I really wanted a blend of old and new. One piece that is now in my living room originally belonged to my Dads great aunt so its been in the family for a hugely long time and is absolutely beautiful - I've no idea what its worth but I'd guess a lot. My mam never likes it but just took it into their house because its an heirloom and it ended up sitting in a room with too much furniture so she was happy for me to have it. All it cost me was about €40 to rent a small van to drive it from their house to mine.

I've also taken some prints and art work that my parents had from when they lived in London in the 70's and 80's. I love it because these pieces are real and authentic and give the place a real individual flair. I've friends who bought new builds and hired interior designers and while their homes are obviously stunning, they spend a bomb and they look a bit like hotels. Wouldnt be for me.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-06-2020, 14:08   #66
brisan

They have a warehouse sale in Cloghran 3 or 4 times a year.
Household stuff can go up to 70% off
You may have a limited selection but some real bargains to be had
(2) thanks from:
19-06-2020, 20:34   #67
Maz2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisan View Post
They have a warehouse sale in Cloghran 3 or 4 times a year.
Household stuff can go up to 70% off
You may have a limited selection but some real bargains to be had
That’s great to know, thanks!!
19-06-2020, 20:37   #68
jrosen

As ive just moved out whatever you think you will need, double it lol
19-06-2020, 21:26   #69
Maz2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosen View Post
As ive just moved out whatever you think you will need, double it lol
Oh really? Oh
Advertisement
03-07-2020, 23:53   #70
Maz2016

Even though I haven’t got my new place yet, I couldn’t resist. Bought some kitchen stuff etc. Some good offers with stores reopening
04-07-2020, 00:28   #71
Maz2016

Even though I haven’t got my new place yet, I couldn’t resist. Bought some kitchen stuff etc. Some good offers with stores reopening
13-07-2020, 13:10   #72
brisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerT6 View Post
Extension cords and double adaptors! You may need these if there aren't enough power points (for your needs) in a room.

Toilet paper - on the day you move in!!

Iron and ironing board

Lightbulbs!

Hoover/sweeping brush/some type of mop/dustpan and brush.

Take people up on their offers to buy you a housewarming gift of some sort - you can get your crockery and cutlery sets that way, pots etc, small kitchen appliances, towels/bedding, that sort of thing. I would give them a general (not too expensive) price range though so as not to take advantage of their goodwill. No €600 coffee machines!! Keep an eye on sales to direct people towards those for gift purchases.

Quite honestly, you'll find out pretty quickly what you need or cannot do without.
As an Electrician I can tell you that is probably the most dangerous advice on this thread
13-07-2020, 13:21   #73
accensi0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisan View Post
As an Electrician I can tell you that is probably the most dangerous advice on this thread
How bad is it?

Growing up, we had them in pretty much every room in the house.
I'm currently using multiple in a 1 bed apartment...
13-07-2020, 13:46   #74
brisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by accensi0n View Post
How bad is it?

Growing up, we had them in pretty much every room in the house.
I'm currently using multiple in a 1 bed apartment...
OK only ok if you know what you are doing
Only takes 1 person to plug a 13 a heater into an already near full adapter or lead and a fire is waiting to happen
One tip ,if you are using an extension lead in a wind out cord always fully unwind it even if you only need 2 metres of the 10 metres
If you have to use an extension lead always buy one with its own 13a fuse
Better off getting a registered electrician to add extra sockets
22-08-2020, 08:19   #75
ebayissues

What to do as you approach move in date...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion