Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-05-2020, 13:37   #31
SozBbz

Is the duplex second hand or a new build?

If second hand, you may be able to get a lot of items left behind, ie kitchen appliances, blinds etc - be clear in what you're asking for while negotiating the sale.

If its new, you will probably have to set aside some funds for all of the above.

I know a lot of friends who went all out when they bought their houses, interior designers, custom items, the works! But this is not necessary.

When I bought my first property I did spend a bomb (new kitchen, flooring, painting and soundproofing plus all the furnature - cost a LOT) but I focused on the areas that I'd be using from day one, my bedroom and the living room for example and didnt worry about furnishing the spare rooms for some time. Also the previous owner left behind an old oak table and chairs and I ended up using them for about a year. They didnt go with my decor but they did a job, and I eventually donanted them to charity once I found a new set I was happy to buy which took ages. My mam was looking to get rid of a double bed from her house so I got that from her for the cost of hiring a white van man to deliver it, and ultimately we turned the 3rd bedroom into a home office so I was glad I didnt rush out to buy a bed for that room.

In hindsight, I definitly ended up with some items that I didnt love, probably because I was making decisions so quickly and without being able to see items together, so don't be afraid to take your time and don't let anyone rush you.

I definitely learned when I moved into my 2nd home. I took my bed and dining set, but bought new sofa as the living room is very different. We've done this one more slowly and took some furniture from the old place where it was still suitable. I still need lots of things for this place in we're in roughly 6 months. I've nothing in the hallway for example because I've not seen anything suitable and its not causing any problems so I'm happy to wait.

You have to prioritise - don't worry about spare rooms or side tables etc. Get yourself a good bed and a good sofa. Scrounge from family and friends in the short term or buy second hand if you can't afford to buy the pieces you really want just yet. Cheap sofas or beds are a false economy so do buy good quality items, and make do with hand me downs or 2nd hand until you can afford to do so.

Don't feel the pressure to do more than you can afford. Make sure you have enough to buy good quality essential items but don't worry about the finishing touches.

Last edited by SozBbz; 25-05-2020 at 13:42.
Advertisement
25-05-2020, 15:32   #32
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm29 View Post
Don’t underestimate the costs of all the things you won’t be buying second hand but can’t do without.
Crockery
Cutlery
Kitchen utensils
Small appliances (kettle, toaster, hoover etc etc)
Mop and bucket,
Duvets
Pillows
Sheets
Curtains & blinds
+1 to this, these thing add up a lot.

OP its all about what you value. I'd put a couch on the late-on list, but need a good office chair now. Others would swap these.
Thanks from:
25-05-2020, 15:40   #33
Sour Lemonz

Check out ikea for things like cutlery, plates, cups, tea towels, pots, pans, utensils and so on. Also linen, duvet, pillows, towels and other assorted nick knacks you will need. They do home delivery if you dont or cant get to there.
Thanks from:
25-05-2020, 16:09   #34
SozBbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Lemonz View Post
Check out ikea for things like cutlery, plates, cups, tea towels, pots, pans, utensils and so on. Also linen, duvet, pillows, towels and other assorted nick knacks you will need. They do home delivery if you dont or cant get to there.
Just to add to this, while I think its a good idea to buy some things ahead of time so it doesnt all come as a shock, I'd limit it to items that are purely functional and won't matter what property you end up with.

I did this before I was even sale agreed on my first home and certain things were great to have all boxed up and ready to go, but others just ended up being a waste.

I bought the following and these were really useful to have on day 1;

- pots and pans (arnotts on sale)
- basic glassware (ikea)
- cutlery (arnotts on sale)
- set of good chopping knives (bought good german brand online during a sale)

I also bought some cushions and other soft furnishings that turned out to be a complete waste as I ended up going with a totally different decor scheme due to the sofas I ultimately bought.

I thought I was great because I felt so far ahead but by the time I moved in, quite a lot of stuff had been in storage for maybe more than a year and the more decorative elements just weren't a good buy in advance - I'd advise against buying bits like that until you're only weeks away from moving in. Maybe set hte money aside, but still to really practical basics if you want ot actually build up a stash of stuff.
(2) thanks from:
25-05-2020, 16:13   #35
coughdrops

Charity shops are brilliant for curtains - I've struck gold before where someone had obviously redone their sitting room and donated all their old stuff. I got great curtains for 2 windows and several cushions for about €30. They lasted us years until we'd moved out of that house, and donated them again.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-05-2020, 16:45   #36
krissovo

It might sound crazy but I found by hiring a interior designer I saved a small fortune in the overall costs of kitting out the home and it looked awesome after it was finished. Our's got deals on almost everything and easily paid her fee twice over with the savings.

My daughter when moving into her first flat a couple of years ago used a junior designer and did it on a very tight budget.
(2) thanks from:
25-05-2020, 17:44   #37
Bandana boy

I would guess it was a good 4 years after we bought our first house before I replaced all the (very welcome at the time ) furniture that friends and family were trying to get rid off.

Things like beds and sofas you want to spend good money on when you do buy , there is a false economy buying cheap ,but you will survive fine on hand me downs at the start.

also living in the space will give you a better idea of what you actually want than trying to guess in advance so tap up all your relatives for second hand stuff , places like jumble town and adverts for free to take away .
Thanks from:
25-05-2020, 20:42   #38
Charles Babbage

Things like TVs only ever get cheaper. Someone might want rid of one who is getting a bigger one. Don't finance something that gets cheaper ever year.
Aldi etc can have toasters, kettles etc, get one before you move if there is a deal.

Not only relatives, but work colleagues and friends will throw in something they don't need or maybe their Granny died. Someone who bought a house two or three years ago will now be moving on from their starter stuff.
Thanks from:
26-05-2020, 07:50   #39
Vetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm29 View Post
Don’t underestimate the costs of all the things you won’t be buying second hand but can’t do without.
Crockery
Cutlery
Kitchen utensils
Small appliances (kettle, toaster, hoover etc etc)
Mop and bucket,
Duvets
Pillows
Sheets
Curtains & blinds
I started buying practical things like some of these in sales while still house-hunting. It meant ending up with better-quality items and saving money.

My second-hand house had lots of blinds fitted. I'm not sure of the price difference but I re-used the rollers that were there and got them covered with new fabric rather than buying entirely new.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2020, 11:26   #40
HiGlo

I agree re buying kitchenware and some bits and pieces bit by bit in advance.... When there's no pressure on you to have the stuff immediately you have the time to find the best value for what you want. If you leave a lot of the kitchenware to the last min then the pressure is on and you'll end up just buying whatevers convenient.

I had kinda been collecting bottom drawer bits for years so had some dishes etc already bought before I'd even bought a place! haha... But over time as I was going through the buying process I picked up stuff on offer here and there. A lot of my pots & pans (House of Fraser)/knives (Brown Thomas) etc was stuff I loved and waited for a sale to come around.

I was lucky that I already owned a TV & Microwave before I moved in. The apartment was second hand and the previous owners left a few bits in the place - luckily the curtains was one of them so I was able to just use them and wait till I found what I liked with no pressure. They also left the dining set which while I don't LOVE it actually does fine and it's saved me a lot of money having to buy a new one. They also left the appliances which was a godsend! Washing machine and dishwasher were there from day 1. Ultimately had to replace the washing machine but it bought me a little time. You might be lucky to acquire a few pieces if you're buying second hand, but I guess you can't count on it. Perhaps ask during the process if there will be any items included in the sale.

I also agree that the biggest percentage of your money should be spent on your sofa and your bed - but that's just me. Only you know what your priorities are. Def check out places like TK Maxx and House of Fraser is still available in the UK/Online so you could check out their sales and order to parcel motel or something. I've gotten a lot of towels and bed linen in HoF sales. Even having a quick look there now I see towels reduced from £24 to £4! I'd also recommend checking out Asda for homewares. I work up in Belfast from time to time so have been able to pop into their store but they have great prices on things. Unfortunately they don't deliver homewares to ROI but Parcel Motel or similar would sort that. You'll have to adjust to UK site to view their products.

Others have given a guide on prices which is helpful but at the end of the day it comes down to your spending beliefs. You could spend €200 on a dining set or €2,000 and that's down to your tastes and needs.

Enjoy it though.... While it can bring it's own stresses it's also a fun thing to do....
Thanks from:
26-05-2020, 12:09   #41
SozBbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGlo View Post

I was lucky that I already owned a TV & Microwave before I moved in. The apartment was second hand and the previous owners left a few bits in the place - luckily the curtains was one of them so I was able to just use them and wait till I found what I liked with no pressure. They also left the dining set which while I don't LOVE it actually does fine and it's saved me a lot of money having to buy a new one. They also left the appliances which was a godsend! Washing machine and dishwasher were there from day 1. Ultimately had to replace the washing machine but it bought me a little time. You might be lucky to acquire a few pieces if you're buying second hand, but I guess you can't count on it. Perhaps ask during the process if there will be any items included in the sale.
Just to add, stuff like this can be negotiated so its not just a surprise when you get the keys and see what (if anything) the old owners have left.

I know as a FTB you can get a bit of a fog coming over you whereby you just want to get the sale complete and not worry about the smaller details but for what its worth, I don't think most vendors mind leaving stuff, to some it would actually be preferable for them not to have to remove things, so if you want furniture to tide you over or all the appliances left in situ, just ask. This is especially true if the house is an ex rental, chances are the vendor would be only delighted to leave stuff behind.

Regardless, its good to be clear on whats going to be in place before you proceed with the sale, could you imagine turning up to move in and not even knowing there was no washing machine?! Disaster! Just ask, try to get stuff included if you want it, but its imperative to know what you're getting.

Always query;

1- kitchen appliances (especially if the kitchen is not a fitted kitchen)
2- any furnature that you might want (theres no expectation they'll leave these, totally depends on the type of seller)
3. curtains/blinds
Thanks from:
26-05-2020, 14:02   #42
HiGlo

Yeah, this is very true.... I had asked and if I remember correctly I knew they were leaving the appliances but didn't know about the curtains and dining set.... They also left a small glass shelf unit (which is now my bar/drinks station ) and a bedside locker (which is now part of my office set up and has my printer sitting on it! )

Was raging though cause it actually turned out that the washing machine was working fine, the guys who had done work on the kitchen plumbed it back in wrong so when I turned it on the water just gathered in the drum and it didn't drain. It appeared to be maybe 5 or 6 yrs old and I had some money at the time so I just replaced it. When the guys were installing the new one it was only discovered then what the issue was but sure it was too late, they were there with my brand new washing machine already paid for.
26-05-2020, 17:54   #43
Tazium

Moving into a new build with white-goods already supplied. My wife and I are working through our list of requirements. What we've already got, we've not included again like crockery, cookware, and beds. Budgeting is a personal decision, as is the priority order. Best of luck.

Washing Machine
Carpet
Wooden Floors
Shed
Garden Furniture
Dining Table
Lighting
Blinds
Linens
Towels
Office Desk & Chair
Sofas
TV
Washing Line
Snagging
Alarm
Services - Electricity, Broadband, TV.
Thanks from:
26-05-2020, 18:07   #44
Sour Lemonz

also to add to the list, a fire blanket, powder fire extinguisher, first aid kit, combi smoke/carbon monoxide alarms, really important to have these as they may save ur or someone else life or serious injury.
27-05-2020, 13:35   #45
Maz2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Lemonz View Post
also to add to the list, a fire blanket, powder fire extinguisher, first aid kit, combi smoke/carbon monoxide alarms, really important to have these as they may save ur or someone else life or serious injury.
Thanks all for the excellent ideas. Really helped a lot. Good advice here too, wouldn’t have thought of it but now it’s on the list

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion