Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-03-2020, 22:53   #1
Graham
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 14,218
Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020 Edition

Continued from here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057501206
Graham is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-03-2020, 13:37   #2
Thargor
Registered User
 
Thargor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,803
Has anyone got a good checklist of things I could do now before I start applying for a mortgage when the current crisis is over? I have my payslips and proof of my savings and that's about it...
Thargor is offline  
31-03-2020, 13:39   #3
wirelessdude01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Has anyone got a good checklist of things I could do now before I start applying for a mortgage when the current crisis is over? I have my payslips and proof of my savings and that's about it...
Make sure that your bank statements are relatively clean. No payments to online betting etc
wirelessdude01 is online now  
31-03-2020, 13:40   #4
ELM327
Registered User
 
ELM327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 14,267
Surely this should be called the Covid edition
ELM327 is offline  
Thanks from:
31-03-2020, 14:01   #5
Creamy Goodness
Registered User
 
Creamy Goodness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 25,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Has anyone got a good checklist of things I could do now before I start applying for a mortgage when the current crisis is over? I have my payslips and proof of my savings and that's about it...
You’ll want a banks salary cert stamped/signed from your employer. Best grab these off the internet and print them so they’re ready to go when you’re back in the office.
Creamy Goodness is offline  
Advertisement
31-03-2020, 14:17   #6
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Has anyone got a good checklist of things I could do now before I start applying for a mortgage when the current crisis is over? I have my payslips and proof of my savings and that's about it...
  • Application
  • Statement for Current Accounts
  • Statement for Credit Cards & Loans
  • Statement from anywhere else you have income e.g. Revolut
  • Proof of savings and continual adding to savings (more bank statements)
  • Last 3 year's P21 Statements from Revenue
  • Last 3 months payslips
  • Latest 'bonus' payslip if you get annual bonus and it wasn't in last 3 months
  • Salary Certificate from employer
  • Latest tenancy agreement if renting
  • Gift letter if getting help with deposit from family

Applies for both people if applying jointly. Might not need all of this from day 1, and this is not comprehensive just based off what I needed, most institutions will have a quick sit down with you and what's required can differ place to place but if you have everything in order and have good recent history I'd grab everything you can to back up your situation.
8-10 is offline  
31-03-2020, 16:46   #7
Simonkelly98
Banned
 
Simonkelly98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
  • Application
  • Statement for Current Accounts
  • Statement for Credit Cards & Loans
  • Statement from anywhere else you have income e.g. Revolut
  • Proof of savings and continual adding to savings (more bank statements)
  • Last 3 year's P21 Statements from Revenue
  • Last 3 months payslips
  • Latest 'bonus' payslip if you get annual bonus and it wasn't in last 3 months
  • Salary Certificate from employer
  • Latest tenancy agreement if renting
  • Gift letter if getting help with deposit from family

Applies for both people if applying jointly. Might not need all of this from day 1, and this is not comprehensive just based off what I needed, most institutions will have a quick sit down with you and what's required can differ place to place but if you have everything in order and have good recent history I'd grab everything you can to back up your situation.
Why were they looking for your p21 statements? Is this a normal request? Would it hurt someone's application if they didn't have much earnings prior to the year they applied for a mortgage?
Simonkelly98 is offline  
31-03-2020, 16:48   #8
Creamy Goodness
Registered User
 
Creamy Goodness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 25,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonkelly98 View Post
Why were they looking for your p21 statements? Is this a normal request? Would it hurt someone's application if they didn't have much earnings prior to the year they applied for a mortgage?
p21's are required to be submitted if you're availing of the Help-to-Buy Scheme.
Creamy Goodness is offline  
31-03-2020, 16:48   #9
Simonkelly98
Banned
 
Simonkelly98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Sorry about all the questions above but I have more. When searching for answers this website came up and it seems very helpful.

My query is about someone employed by a family member. The company is new and the only employee is the family member. They get paid a salary every 2 weeks. When applying for a mortgage, will this cause any problems?
Simonkelly98 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-03-2020, 16:48   #10
zuhuraswa
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 87
They didn't look for my P21 statement, but they did look for my P60 statement
zuhuraswa is offline  
31-03-2020, 16:50   #11
Simonkelly98
Banned
 
Simonkelly98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
p21's are required to be submitted if you're availing of the Help-to-Buy Scheme.
Oh ok but not otherwise?
Simonkelly98 is offline  
31-03-2020, 16:51   #12
Simonkelly98
Banned
 
Simonkelly98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhuraswa View Post
They didn't look for my P21 statement, but they did look for my P60 statement
Just for the previous year?
Simonkelly98 is offline  
31-03-2020, 16:53   #13
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhuraswa View Post
They didn't look for my P21 statement, but they did look for my P60 statement
Yep but P60's haven't been issued since 2018

It's just another form of proof of household income. I'd personally just submit everything you can to show you've nothing to hide, OP was also just looking for things to get ready during the lockdown in advance so no harm in at least having the P21's requested and saved with the other docs in a folder so they're ready in case they are asked for. If not needed then you don't have to give them
8-10 is offline  
31-03-2020, 17:27   #14
Kevhog1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,686
What will mortgage providers view be on people out of work during the crisis and then back to work after. Do we need to wait another 6 months before applying once my partner is back to work?. I am safe in my job but she was let go from hers due to the crisis.
Kevhog1988 is offline  
31-03-2020, 17:42   #15
cython
Registered User
 
cython's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Yep but P60's haven't been issued since 2018
P21's are gone as of Jan 1st of this year also, so they don't exist for 2019, and if you don't have one already for preceding years you won't get one now.
cython is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet