Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-10-2020, 14:32   #106
aquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Student View Post
At what point do tenants actually act like adults. I have lived in houses built in 1940's (original corpo houses) and now live in a house built in the mid 1970's. None of them had vents in the bedrooms. I have insulated my current house and don't suffer with damp or mould.

How is it that tenants can live in exactly the same types of houses and they have damp and mould while others don't. Could it be the way they are acting rather than the construction of the property?

It never ceases to amaze me how it never seems to be the tenants fault but it is always the landlords fault.
It is not the tenants deciding that they need vents in the room, it is the local housing authority when they come out to inspect. Our home doesn't have vents in every room but our rental property does which is a newer house, like 70+ years rather than 100. All rooms had ventilation like a fireplace but this wasn't acceptable to the local authority so vents had to be made in the walls.
Advertisement
28-10-2020, 16:35   #107
Graces7

Quote:
At what point do tenants actually act like adults. I have lived in houses built in 1940's (original corpo houses) and now live in a house built in the mid 1970's. None of them had vents in the bedrooms. I have insulated my current house and don't suffer with damp or mould.

How is it that tenants can live in exactly the same types of houses and they have damp and mould while others don't. Could it be the way they are acting rather than the construction of the property?

It never ceases to amaze me how it never seems to be the tenants fault but it is always the landlords fault.
Assuring you we ( tenants) are not always like that! I had my own dehumidifier in two houses that had black mould no matter how much air there was. And I love open doors and windows.

The worst rental was an old cottage where everything acquired damp and mould, and the wind came in through the slatted bedroom ceiling.

One night there was an almighty deluge and water came up through the stone flags in the kitchen.. They had been laid on the bare earth we learned, The landlord tried to blame us, saying it was a blocked gutter, but I had cleared those and kept them clear,
The agent agreed I could evacuate as an emergency. She was a JP.

By then there were three inches of water in the kitchen and the dogs were.... doing doggy paddle.

When the landlord realised I had left, he called my family begging me to return. Then got nasty when we said NO WAY. Started the blame game..

There are good guys and bad guys on both sides. Always have been and always will be.
Thanks from:
28-10-2020, 18:44   #108
The Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinn View Post
It is not the tenants deciding that they need vents in the room, it is the local housing authority when they come out to inspect. Our home doesn't have vents in every room but our rental property does which is a newer house, like 70+ years rather than 100. All rooms had ventilation like a fireplace but this wasn't acceptable to the local authority so vents had to be made in the walls.
I think you are missing my point. The area I live in has over a thousand privately owned houses (a small few are rented out). These are all 3 bed semi detached built in the mid 70's.

I can identify which houses are rented and which are not simply by looking at the bedroom walls and seeing vents in them. I can guarantee that the owners of the properties that do not have vents do not have mould etc.

The point I am trying to make is that if damp and mould was as a result of how the properties were built then all houses should be suffering from damp and mould. This is not the case, so the only conclusion that can therefore be drawn from this is that the causes of damp and mould has to be as a result of the inhabitants rather than the structure itself.

While I appreciate that there can be issues in some houses with damp and mould as a result of leaking pipework, gutters etc the numbers of issues with damp and mould can't all be down to these factors.
28-10-2020, 19:14   #109
The Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Assuring you we ( tenants) are not always like that! I had my own dehumidifier in two houses that had black mould no matter how much air there was. And I love open doors and windows.

The worst rental was an old cottage where everything acquired damp and mould, and the wind came in through the slatted bedroom ceiling.

One night there was an almighty deluge and water came up through the stone flags in the kitchen.. They had been laid on the bare earth we learned, The landlord tried to blame us, saying it was a blocked gutter, but I had cleared those and kept them clear,
The agent agreed I could evacuate as an emergency. She was a JP.

By then there were three inches of water in the kitchen and the dogs were.... doing doggy paddle.

When the landlord realised I had left, he called my family begging me to return. Then got nasty when we said NO WAY. Started the blame game..

There are good guys and bad guys on both sides. Always have been and always will be.
These type of properties are the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of houses built in Ireland are either semi D's, or terraced etc. While there are cottages in Ireland most of the rented houses in Ireland fall into the semi D or terrace category.

Granted there are more and more apartments being rented now but the majority of these apartment blocks have only been constructed in the last 15 - 20 yrs or so.

Based on the language used in your post the property you referenced was an old property and as such you should have expected that it was not a modern build and as such would suffer from some age related issues.

I would assume the property probably did not have any damp course which probably added to the damp and mould issues.
(2) thanks from:
29-10-2020, 12:49   #110
Graces7

Quote:
These type of properties are the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of houses built in Ireland are either semi D's, or terraced etc. While there are cottages in Ireland most of the rented houses in Ireland fall into the semi D or terrace category.

Granted there are more and more apartments being rented now but the majority of these apartment blocks have only been constructed in the last 15 - 20 yrs or so.

Based on the language used in your post the property you referenced was an old property and as such you should have expected that it was not a modern build and as such would suffer from some age related issues.

I would assume the property probably did not have any damp course which probably added to the damp and mould issues.
That was not my point and again t is " blame the tenant" time? As the landlord tried to do! Actually it does reinforce my point! Thank you. And regardless of age basic standards laid down still apply?
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 13:30   #111
The Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
That was not my point and again t is " blame the tenant" time? As the landlord tried to do! Actually it does reinforce my point! Thank you. And regardless of age basic standards laid down still apply?
So are you saying that the tenant is never at fault for dampness and mould? And that mould and damp is always due to the construction of the property?
29-10-2020, 13:47   #112
crossmolinalad

Quote:
I think you are missing my point. The area I live in has over a thousand privately owned houses (a small few are rented out). These are all 3 bed semi detached built in the mid 70's.

I can identify which houses are rented and which are not simply by looking at the bedroom walls and seeing vents in them. I can guarantee that the owners of the properties that do not have vents do not have mould etc.

The point I am trying to make is that if damp and mould was as a result of how the properties were built then all houses should be suffering from damp and mould. This is not the case, so the only conclusion that can therefore be drawn from this is that the causes of damp and mould has to be as a result of the inhabitants rather than the structure itself.

While I appreciate that there can be issues in some houses with damp and mould as a result of leaking pipework, gutters etc the numbers of issues with damp and mould can't all be down to these factors.
Think home owners are more secure on their home and opening windows on a daily base and a tenant not
Those vents in rentals sucks , know tenants who close those vents with old clothes or glassfibre wool
Seen one case they filled it with expanding foam
Some cases of damp is the structure specially in old houses but most of then is lack of ventilation by the tenant and drying clothes inside without opening of a window in the room
Think that will be the main reason HAP inspectors want those stupid vents in every room in the house
29-10-2020, 13:55   #113
The Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmolinalad View Post
Think home owners are more secure on their home and opening windows on a daily base and a tenant not
Those vents in rentals sucks , know tenants who close those vents with old clothes or glassfibre wool
Some cases of damp is the structure specially in old houses but most of then is lack of ventilation by the tenant and drying clothes inside without opening of a window in the room
Think that will be the main reason HAP inspectors want those stupid vents in every room in the house
This is exactly my point. Tenants actions that the landlord is held accountable for.

Some of the older houses need updating but not houses built certainly from the 1970's onwards.
29-10-2020, 15:51   #114
Graces7

Quote:
So are you saying that the tenant is never at fault for dampness and mould? And that mould and damp is always due to the construction of the property?
lol... I have never ever been at fault re damp and mould in any of the properties I have rented. And in over half the properties I have rented there has been existing damp/mould. And with the exception of the one that flooded I have always left properties drier and in better condition that when I moved in. And the way that landlord acted? Blaming …. wriggling out of it.

Over and out!

Last edited by Graces7; 30-10-2020 at 05:20.
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 17:37   #115
Rows Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmolinalad View Post
Nail on the head there in my experience, too mean to use the tumble dryer provided and too lazy to use the clothes line even in the sunniest of weather.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion