Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-02-2019, 18:29   #61
Old diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneonK View Post
Once again the regs in this case are for all rented accommodation, not just HAP.

A prohibition notice means the property by law can not be rented to anybody. Also a prohibition notice comes with a much higher risk of prosecution by the council.
Why are people who've had the inspections done all arriving at the conclusion that their property got a more stringent inspection because their property has HAP tenants.

It's a problem that needs addressing because.....

1) the perception of HAP requiring "impossible" standards is a turn off for landlords.

2) where standards are required - then clarity as to why is needed for landlords. Landlords sometimes feel that the house "been failed for HAP" is better then the one they live in themselves. It's easier to accept a genuine need to upgrade a property where clear reasons are offered.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-10-2019, 14:51   #62
guest2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeldc View Post
That a bit unfair. I didn't build the place or any any of the other 50 that are here and they all complied with building regulations at the time. It's an open plan kitchen come dining room with plenty of ventilation. It's not like anyone is going to smother!
Hi,
I am in very similar situation of renting out an apartment - kitchen/living open high-ceiling (6m) space, no extractor fan to outside. Impossible to build it or it'll look ugly if I put it around the room in the middle of the wall.
There was a HAP inspection that said I have to get the pipes installed and got to the outside, through the wall or through the roof...
I wonder how is your case ended? Did you install a new ventilation or could you manage to get HAP permission with the extractor hood (without installation a new ventilation)?
Thanks
01-10-2019, 15:02   #63
emeldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2018 View Post
Hi,
I am in very similar situation of renting out an apartment - kitchen/living open high-ceiling (6m) space, no extractor fan to outside. Impossible to build it or it'll look ugly if I put it around the room in the middle of the wall.
There was a HAP inspection that said I have to get the pipes installed and got to the outside, through the wall or through the roof...
I wonder how is your case ended? Did you install a new ventilation or could you manage to get HAP permission with the extractor hood (without installation a new ventilation)?
Thanks
I didn't do anything and they never came back to me on it. Unless you've had any direct dealings with the council, I'd wait until they contact you.
My report didn't arrive by registered post by the way, so.............
(2) thanks from:
01-10-2019, 15:41   #64
Gumbo

Quote:
I didn't do anything and they never came back to me on it. Unless you've had any direct dealings with the council, I'd wait until they contact you.
My report didn't arrive by registered post by the way, so.............
The only risk in not complying is that the Inspection Firm send their reports back to the Council after 6 weeks if they don't get a call back to say the issues are fixed.

It may take some time, but then the Council send work to Limerick (HAP HQ) that the building doesn't comply and the HAP payment may stop out of the blue.
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2019, 13:43   #65
emeldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
The only risk in not complying is that the Inspection Firm send their reports back to the Council after 6 weeks if they don't get a call back to say the issues are fixed.

It may take some time, but then the Council send work to Limerick (HAP HQ) that the building doesn't comply and the HAP payment may stop out of the blue.
I've no doubt that they'll probably come back to me on it at some stage. The inspection took place in June '17 and the report was issued in Nov '17. 'Important' reports like these really should be registered otherwise they leave themselves wide open to the LL saying that they never received it as I intend to do. Since the inspection the apartment has had a €10k refurb. To fit a vent to open air would have been both ugly and expensive. It's not going to happen. If and when they they insist that the work has to be carried out, I'll just sell up. They can find their HAP tenant somewhere else to live.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 23:55   #66
the_syco
IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

Quote:
To fit a vent to open air would have been both ugly and expensive.
Since it's an apartment, I'd wonder if you'd even be allowed to install said vent, as most apartments state you can't build anything on the external wall?
Thanks from:
10-10-2019, 08:28   #67
emeldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
Since it's an apartment, I'd wonder if you'd even be allowed to install said vent, as most apartments state you can't build anything on the external wall?
Actually that’s a very good point and one I hadn’t thought of.
10-10-2019, 15:09   #68
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
You would have to seek MC approval alright.
Ive seen it done may times though, especially on older blocks. The MC generally done all the apartments at the same time.
14-10-2019, 19:49   #69
the_syco
IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

Quote:
Actually that’s a very good point and one I hadn’t thought of.
As above, check if the MC will do all of the apartments. If they do, great. If not, get it in writing, and have it for the Council to show that you looked into it, but were denied.
Advertisement
31-10-2019, 08:58   #70
jo2509

Well here's a laugh for you guys.

Had our council inspection a few weeks ago, all grand except for one minor issue with the fire blanket in the kitchen which didnt have the necessary 'CE' mark and needed to be replaced.

Fair enough, no big deal. Original fire blanket was bought from a large DIY chain so we had assumed it was of sufficient standard but off we go to look for a fire blanket with a CE mark. None to be found anywhere. Partner is in the electrical trade himself so went to various wholesalers, electrical suppliers etc. nobody had one. Eventually manage to get hold of the guy who did the inspection....

'Oh yeah, that's a typo on the report, it should say BE'.

Right, incompetent but again, we figure look it doesn't have the BE mark regardless so we need to replace it. So buy another one, go down to the property to fit it to the wall. Old fire blanket is on a wall mounted bracket, partner removes it to fit the new one, turns it around and looks at the back and what does he see... oh yes, a BE mark.

I mean you couldnt make this sh*t up. Granted it was only a very minor issue and didn't cost us much money but what's the point of the council doing an inspection if it is going to be a half arsed job?
(3) thanks from:
31-10-2019, 10:32   #71
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2509 View Post

Had our council inspection a few weeks ago, all grand except for one minor issue with the fire blanket in the kitchen which didnt have the necessary 'CE' mark and needed to be replaced.

Fair enough, no big deal. Original fire blanket was bought from a large DIY chain so we had assumed it was of sufficient standard but off we go to look for a fire blanket with a CE mark. None to be found anywhere. Partner is in the electrical trade himself so went to various wholesalers, electrical suppliers etc. nobody had one. Eventually manage to get hold of the guy who did the inspection....

'Oh yeah, that's a typo on the report, it should say BE'.

Right, incompetent but again, we figure look it doesn't have the BE mark regardless so we need to replace it. So buy another one, go down to the property to fit it to the wall. Old fire blanket is on a wall mounted bracket, partner removes it to fit the new one, turns it around and looks at the back and what does he see... oh yes, a BE mark.

I mean you couldnt make this sh*t up. Granted it was only a very minor issue and didn't cost us much money but what's the point of the council doing an inspection if it is going to be a half arsed job?
Really bad alright.
It’s worth noting that the council sub contract out these inspections.

A firm from D15 done mine on behalf of Fingal.
I also had to argue with them over restrictors on high level Velux windows but I held my ground and they came around and accepted it.
31-10-2019, 11:00   #72
emeldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2509 View Post

You see, there's the problem right there. No one is ever held accountable for fcuk ups. I'd be like a dog with a bone until they reimbursed you for your time and effort and the cost of a bloody fire blanket that you didn't need in the first place.
31-10-2019, 11:16   #73
Rows Grower

Quote:
You see, there's the problem right there. No one is ever held accountable for fcuk ups. I'd be like a dog with a bone until they reimbursed you for your time and effort and the cost of a bloody fire blanket that you didn't need in the first place.
Everyone makes mistakes dude, that's life.

A fire blanket costs about a tenner and if you or your tenant ever need one it's hard to put a value on it.
31-10-2019, 11:43   #74
ToBeFrank123

I have a HAP tenant and have no problem with rules designed to protect tenants.

But some are the rules are a bit much and in the long term counter productive.

I installed two brand new Carbon Monoxide alarms with a lifespan of 7 years. They failed me on this and said they should be 10 years lifespan.

We should be encouraging HAP landlords not p*ssing them off and making them question if its worth it.
31-10-2019, 11:46   #75
ToBeFrank123

Quote:
I've no doubt that they'll probably come back to me on it at some stage. The inspection took place in June '17 and the report was issued in Nov '17. 'Important' reports like these really should be registered otherwise they leave themselves wide open to the LL saying that they never received it as I intend to do. Since the inspection the apartment has had a €10k refurb. To fit a vent to open air would have been both ugly and expensive. It's not going to happen. If and when they they insist that the work has to be carried out, I'll just sell up. They can find their HAP tenant somewhere else to live.
Likely in a hotel room at huge expense.

If a landlord makes an effort as you did, they should be given the benefit of the doubt. HAP authorities shouldn't dictate significant structural changes to a property. They should be damn glad to have a HAP landlord.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion