Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-06-2020, 14:11   #1
Boss Of Bosses

Rank in life / Occupation

Hi guys,
Just reading of a great great Aunts death record in 1927, on the record it says her occupation was a Lady. Now we know she was a spinster. I Don't have any grand illusions she was a person of prominence but just trying to piece together the type of lives they had and occupations, and haven't seen this before.

Regards.
Advertisement
06-06-2020, 18:48   #2
Hermy

I think the term Lady or Gentleman generally meant someone who didn't work for a living.
(3) thanks from:
06-06-2020, 23:21   #3
Boss Of Bosses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
I think the term Lady or Gentleman generally meant someone who didn't work for a living.
Cheers Hermy.
End up stumbling on her occupation earlier in her younger days. Housekeeper/Laundress type of work..
Thanks from:
06-06-2020, 23:58   #4
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
I could have worded that better.

Someone who could afford not to work for a living - a gentleman with property or a lady with an annuity for instance.
07-06-2020, 00:22   #5
spurious
Category Moderator

If she was previously a housekeeper/laundress, could she have come into money? Agree with Hermy, 'Lady' was usually a woman of independent means.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2020, 16:23   #6
KildareFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
If she was previously a housekeeper/laundress, could she have come into money? Agree with Hermy, 'Lady' was usually a woman of independent means.

My great aunt was a maid/companion for many years; her employers left her an annuity and a nice bequest on which she lived for the rest of her life until she died at a ripe old age in the 1960s. Not sure I'd call her a lady though, she loved toddling down to the pub for a whiskey and stole my ice cream (at least once).

Having said that, "lady" usually referred to a woman of independent means, often living off dividends or an annuity, as in Great Aunty Mary.
(3) thanks from:
08-06-2020, 15:46   #7
Boss Of Bosses

Thanks All.
She lived in a decent sized house in Sorrento Road, Dalkey.
And was always listed as head of household.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion