Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How should Muslims be greeted

• 22-09-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I am not a Muslim but I would like to learn a few basic Islamic greetings that will be understood by all Muslims. I know many of these greetings are in Arabic but would a Muslim from Pakistan or Indonesia understand if I used it?

Also, apart from the common everyday greetings, are there simple greetings that should be used during certain times of the year, i.e. special days or seasons. For simplicity/memory reasons please let me know only the very shortest greetings. * Also, please put the phonetic pronunciation under each word/phrase for an English language speaker.

Is Ramadan at the same time every year or does it change? Do Muslims use the Roman calendar for everyday use or do they refer to an Islamic calendar. If so, what year is this?

Anything else Irish people should know to make a Muslim feel welcome/happy/comforted would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That's a particularly odd question.

How would you greet a Christian? You know, one from Europe, Africa, or South America, or the Philippines.
    Is Ramadan at the same time every year or does it change? Do Muslims use the Roman calendar for everyday use or do they refer to an Islamic calendar. If so, what year is this?

I can't help but feel you know the answer to that already.

No, Ramadan is not at the same time every year, it is based on the lunar calendar, so gets earlier by approximately 11 days each year.

And yes, while there is an Islamic calendar, for general day-to-day use the Gregorian calendar is used. In the Islamic calendar, it is year 1436 according to Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

I am not a Muslim but I would like to learn a few basic Islamic greetings that will be understood by all Muslims. I know many of these greetings are in Arabic but would a Muslim from Pakistan or Indonesia understand if I used it?

Also, apart from the common everyday greetings, are there simple greetings that should be used during certain times of the year, i.e. special days or seasons. For simplicity/memory reasons please let me know only the very shortest greetings..

I usually say hello. Works everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A simple "Salam Alaikum" always works I have found. Or just "Hello" as said above.
    They will respond as they find suitable (or maybe ask you how you would like to be greeted).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's a particularly odd question.

How would you greet a Christian? You know, one from Europe, Africa, or South America, or the Philippines.

How would you even tell if someone was a Christian? Most people I know I don't have much of a clue as to their religious beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is Ramadan at the same time every year or does it change?
    It varies a bit, more info on www.ramadanmonth.com

• Advertisement

psinno wrote: »
    How would you even tell if someone was a Christian? Most people I know I don't have much of a clue as to their religious beliefs.

Exactly. So how would you know a person is a Muslim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Seriously people, as a somebody who has lived and worked among Muslims the past seven years, it's really not a big deal.

Say hello. Say Salaam Alikum. Say hi. Say whatever you like. Just afford them the same courtesy you would any other human being.

I really don't see the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Maybe it's not so simple after all.
    It is, they aren't aliens. Hi/hello/salaam/as salaam aylukum/hello in whatever language they speak if it isn't salaam all work with any Muslims I've ever met, here and in various Muslim countries.
    Might be best just to nod and grunt?
    That wouldn't be very polite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I am not a Muslim but I would like to learn a few basic Islamic greetings that will be understood by all Muslims.

Could you not just say "hello", like you'd say to anyone else? Why would you single out a Muslim and greet them differently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Seriously people, as a somebody who has lived and worked among Muslims the past seven years, it's really not a big deal.

As someone who has lived and worked among Muslims for considerably longer than seven years, I'm inclined to say that your experience is probably fairly typical of someone who has lived and worked among Muslims for the past seven years.

Time for me to go, and I wish you all well with this discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Also, apart from the common everyday greetings, are there simple greetings that should be used during certain times of the year, i.e. special days or seasons. For simplicity/memory reasons please let me know only the very shortest greetings. * Also, please put the phonetic pronunciation under each word/phrase for an English language speaker.

Anything else Irish people should know to make a Muslim feel welcome/happy/comforted would be very much appreciated.

How do Muslims greet Christians in their (Muslim) countries?

Advertisement