Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This reddit thread will keep me going over the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

This is my favourite thread ever! Seriously don't know how I'm going to get any work done with so much reading to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

tinkerbell wrote: »

I'm working my way through these, enough to fill an evening!!
    Never realised WOL used to be so bitchy, wish I was on it then!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Neyite wrote: »
    This reddit thread will keep me going over the weekend...

Dear god! Some of those make cheapskategate look like an elegant soiree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Woohoo!!

The bridesmaid who had already had to spend £1500 and was then asked to pay another £40 for a goody bag for the bride, crazy thread:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a2291570-To-have-another-rant-about-friends-wedding

Groomzilla who wanted to charge the bridesmaids for the free rooms they were getting to make money back (hotel made a mistake and gave more free rooms than they were supposed to) and wasn't charging the best men anything for the rooms:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2098691-Bridesmaid-asked-to-pay-for-free-room

Am I being unreasonable (see what I did, there? ;) ) to think that most of the threads on the AIBU board sound kind of whiney? I blame the board title itself as most posts are written in a very defensive manner, even ones where I agree with the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Am I being unreasonable (see what I did, there? ;) ) to think that most of the threads on the AIBU board sound kind of whiney? I blame the board title itself as most posts are written in a very defensive manner, even ones where I agree with the OP.

They can be very entertaining, but sometimes a bit annoying because no matter what anyone says, e.g in ones where the bridesmaids are spending loads of money, you just know they are going to do nothing except gripe, on the internet, but never actually say anything, to the bride.

There was a great (non wedding) one a while back, but the poster eventually tied herself in knots. She couldn't resist coming back to gild the story a bit further. It got deleted, in the end, but it was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

This is a good one from a few months back about someone agonising for one year about changing their massive Cartier ring to an almost identical massive tiffany ring...

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/should-i-change-my-engagement-ring/

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

fits wrote: »
    This is a good one from a few months back about someone agonising for one year about changing their massive Cartier ring to an almost identical massive tiffany ring...

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/should-i-change-my-engagement-ring/

Oh my god, I didn't even realize this world exists! Completely nuts.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Knife edge, cathederal, wtf?? Seriously, though, a year later and wanting to change it is a bit mad. Although in fairness, any guy who's buying the ring before proposing should definitely check the store's return policy before forking out a wad of cash. Maybe the ring won't suit his intended, or worse yet, what if she says no!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Did you see the price of the bloody ring?!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That link is bringing me to the main page, not the thread. Can anyone repost another one.

Neyite wrote: »
    That link is bringing me to the main page, not the thread. Can anyone repost another one.

That is so strange .... I could see it earlier but not now? It's bringing me to the main page now too.

January wrote: »
    Did you see the price of the bloody ring?!

How much are we talking?? I googled the name of the ring and it brought me to the Cartier website, which had a link where you contacted them to 'enquire about the price' so I reckon it's a buttload!

There's a range of them on ebay starting between 4,500 dollars and going up to 11,000 dollars.

This website has it priced at anything between €8,000 and €90,000 depending on the diamond :eek:

http://luxehighlife.com/jewellery/top-10-engagement-rings

I think a post was deleted on there since but as far as I remember they stood to lose a lotta money.

Weird about the link not working... if you search for Cartier and tiffany and "should I change my engagement ring" you'll find.

There's a range of them on ebay starting between 4,500 dollars and going up to 11,000 dollars.

This website has it priced at anything between €8,000 and €90,000 depending on the diamond :eek:

Holy crap!!! OK, I think the guy's not entirely blameless here, unless he's completely loaded, you don't go and drop that kind of moo on something you can't return.

On another note, OMgod the no.3 ring on that list is stunning! :D

Toots wrote: »
    Holy crap!!! OK, I think the guy's not entirely blameless here, unless he's completely loaded, you don't go and drop that kind of moo on something you can't return.

They are completely loaded. But I agree. But if she didn't like it at the start... they should have changed it then. And I am sure it was returnable.

It just confuses me cos the two rings look exactly the same to my eye and only a jeweller would notice the difference.

They are completely loaded. But I agree. But if she didn't like it at the start... they should have changed it then. And I am sure it was returnable.

It just confuses me cos the two rings look exactly the same to my eye and only a jeweller would notice the difference.

No they are actually quite a bit different - there was also a comparison pic on that thread when I saw it yesterday. The T&C ring has a 6 prong setting, the 1895 ring has a 4 prong setting :)

My eyes were out on stalks, looking at those...not even so much at the rings, as the prices! 46k! 90k! I was trying (and failing) to imagine going around every day with something that cost so much, on my hand :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I think a post was deleted on there since but as far as I remember they stood to lose a lotta money.

Weird about the link not working... if you search for Cartier and tiffany and "should I change my engagement ring" you'll find.

I tried that on my phone and it still wouldn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Had our pre-marriage course yesterday. Complete waste of time, absolutely pointless.
    The plus was its beside The Long Hall so had a lovely few pints after :)

But its done now.

The thing is I reckon it probably would have been 'returnable' but that she'd have had to choose something else from the same company. I'd be surprised if Cartier (or any of the stores) would let you return a (let's say) $40,000 ring, and walk away with a full refund.

However, unless it's a one-off custom piece, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have let her pick another ring from their collections. I wonder was the fiance a bit embarrassed at the thought of going back to the store, so told her it couldn't be returned.

My cousin lives in the US and he bought his now-wife's engagement ring from Cartier (it wasn't $40k) and he wanted to get it engraved on the inside of the band. The store specifically said to him to leave the engraving until after the engagement because if the ring didn't suit, he could exchange it for something else, but if it'd been engraved then they couldn't.

I'm not sure if the policy is different if you're spending >$10k (for example) so maybe the fiance was telling the truth, but I suspect he wasn't being entirely upfront. Or if he did something like brought a bit of string with her finger size, and had the ring specifically sized before giving it to her, then that would probably mean he was stuck with it.
    LynnGrace wrote: »
    My eyes were out on stalks, looking at those...not even so much at the rings, as the prices! 46k! 90k! I was trying (and failing) to imagine going around every day with something that cost so much, on my hand :D.

Imagine you dropped it down the sink when you were washing your hands!

Imagine you dropped it down the sink when you were washing your hands!

Exactly. I'd be petrified :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

LynnGrace wrote: »

I couldn't find the thread, but whenever I see very expensive rings, with huge diamonds, I just know I could never wear one as I will never have the manicure to live up to it. In fact, I think I'd need a hand transplant.

I couldn't find the thread, but whenever I see very expensive rings, with huge diamonds, I just know I could never wear one as I will never have the manicure to live up to it. In fact, I think I'd need a hand transplant.

These were the ones, on the link January posted, that I was talking about, putting my eyes on stalks.

Agree, then again, if I had that much money to spare, I'd probably be having daily manicures :D.

This exactly...

I got married a month ago and I didn't have an engagement ring beforehand because I had lost it... when I got the wedding ring on my finger I had lovely acrylic nails and when they came off I was so disappointed with how my hand looked so stumpy and my lovely ring didn't look as glamorous without perfectly manicured fingers... we went on honeymoon and we replaced my engagement ring and now I can't wait to get my nails done again! I usually hate acrylic nails but I love how they make my fingers look longer and more slender so the rings look better ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

Haha,what I said to the girl in the jewellers when we got my engagement ring was "I want something that will still look good when I'm slobbing in a tracksuit with broken nails". And it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Slattsy wrote: »
    Had our pre-marriage course yesterday. Complete waste of time, absolutely pointless.
    The plus was its beside The Long Hall so had a lovely few pints after :)

But its done now.

That's actaully comforting to hear. We are having a humanist ceremony and something about not doing the pre Marraige course has been bugging me. Like we'll miss something important. I actually googled it and made him talk to me about kids, religion, money, house plans, etc. we had already discussed it but I was being a bit paranoid

• Advertisement

TBH they can be very hit-and-miss depending on who you get. I was dreading the bit where the priest came in to talk to us, but it turned out that the priest was great and really helpful - answered loads of questions we had about stuff. The two women who were giving the course were odd to say the least, though. One was grand, but she seemed to be 'newer' to the role than the other one, so mostly took a back seat.

The other woman would have been in her 60s or thereabouts, and honestly from hearing her talk I felt very sorry for her hubby! He was the butt of all her 'jokes' that day. Every time we got to a new topic of the course, she had a little story about her marriage which inevitably ended up with her husband burning the dinner/tracking spilled paint all over the house/running the lawnmower over her flowerbeds/expecting his breakfast brought up to him every day/leaving the toilet seat up/not knowing how to cook/trying to do the laundry and failing/etc. Oh, and the weekend was also peppered with announcements about how she'd hurt her toe the previous week and it was all bandaged up. By the end of it, every time she mentioned it, everyone was staring at the floor, because if you' caught anyone's eye it would have been game over, and you wouldn't have been able to hold in the laughter.

Advertisement