Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone tried "hemi sync" meditation?

Options
  • 24-03-2013 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I read 'Proof of Heaven' by Dr Eben Alexander (well worth a read!) and he talks a lot about "hemi sync" meditation.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, what cd would you recommend?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Hi,

I read 'Proof of Heaven' by Dr Eben Alexander (well worth a read!) and he talks a lot about "hemi sync" meditation.

Cheers!

Never heard of it but I am only a novice. Practice mind fullness meditation on a regular basis. What is 'hemi sync' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

I have tried xphirience. Which isn't hemi sync, but it does use sound to invoke a meditative state. Feels like it sends a pulse through you're head from ear to ear by using surround sound

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mrs SuperPotato

Hmmm...thanks for that guys and gals. I haven't tried it either, but it's supposed to alter your brain waves to be more receptive to meditation. I'd love to know if anyone has tried it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Hmmm...thanks for that guys and gals. I haven't tried it either, but it's supposed to alter your brain waves to be more receptive to meditation. I'd love to know if anyone has tried it

Yeah its good , but no better than a lot of the other brain entrainment cd's floating about. Holosync is another good one to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MrGreenfun

I heard of this thing if you cut a ping pong ball in half and tape it over your eyes and listen to static from the radio on headphones. then lie down and clear your thoughts your supposed to hear and see things. Now i dont no if it works but it is a real thing i just cant remember what it is called????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MrGreenfun wrote: »
    I heard of this thing if you cut a ping pong ball in half and tape it over your eyes and listen to static from the radio on headphones. then lie down and clear your thoughts your supposed to hear and see things. Now i dont no if it works but it is a real thing i just cant remember what it is called????
    I'm sure you're messin', but :D all the same!

no i swear ill try find it again and ill post it

The experiment (called "Ganzfeld", German for "entire field", if wikipedia is to be believed) is tantalizingly simple and requires hilariously low-tech equipment:

1. One ping-pong ball

2. A pair of headphones

3. Some device that produces static noise

4. A lamp

First, cut the ball in two and place the two halves on both eyes. Next, start the static noise (some helpful soul posted 11 hours worth of white noise on youtube here) and plug in your headphones. Turn your face towards the lamp, lie down and relax. Here's a cartoon dude (presumably dreaming about rainbows and a bearded man) demonstrating the procedure:

Now before I delve into my own experience, a word about the mechanism. Unlike (highly) illegal drugs like LSD, which work through receptors and whatnot, the ganzfeld experiment works by "fooling" the brain or compelling it to "fill in the gaps" by depriving it of proper stimuli. The ping-pong balls force your eyes to look at a uniform white field and the static saturates your ear with sound of one frequency. The brain freaks out and frantically starts churning out random halo-like images to compensate. In this sense, what the user witnesses are not real hallucinations (now that's an oxymoron, if there was one), but extreme visual distortions that we can call pseudo-hallucinations.

So I trotted out to Walgreen's, purchased some ping-pong balls (the employee there mistakenly thought I was interested in buying a beer-pong kit, which I assured her I wasn't) and came back home. I turned off my phone, cranked up the static and plugged in my super sweet Audiotechnica headphones. One ping-pong ball sacrificed for the noble cause, I was ready to go.

As my body started to adjust to the conditions, I began relaxing. Within 10 or so minutes, I began seeing weird shapes and started feeling a sensation of being rocked gently, as if on a boat. Pretty soon, I started seeing weird stuff: tissue samples from histology, rotating hands, people shaking hands, a woman descending a staircase, a dog running up to a man to lick his hands, a bunch of people surfing on waves....

I slipped into a dream-like state and saw Shawn and Gus from the TV show Psych. I also saw a bunch of people playing chess and, perhaps the strangest apparition of them all, the umbrella lady from the following painting:

I also saw myself on the roof of some tall building which was engulfed by massive sea waves in seconds. Each image sort of appeared in the middle of my visual field and dissolved. After about 20 minutes, I took off the balls and unplugged the headphone. I staggered to the sink to wash my face, still in a bit of daze.

Definitely a very illuminating experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

:eek:

now as i said not my experience but yea..... wonder if it works or just some crazy fool ?? would love to try DMT tho ment to be a very spiritual experience

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

well, did anyone give this a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I use hemi sync sometimes. For those who choose to do so,you can find a free sample of it on the monroe institute website,their the people who developed it.I'd give it a thumbs up and would often fall asleep listening to it, and awake up refreshed. Well there's the bread crumbs, after that it's up to yourselves to follow the path and make up yer own minds !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

Hi,

Cheers!

Well, to answer your question, I tried it long, long ago - but I wouldn't recommend any CD to anyone these days.

Personally, I find Eucharistic Adoration, eyes open, gazing at the host, far more powerful than this and many, many other meditation techniques I once explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGlitchKing

Not familiar with the term? Is it similar to a mind meld? That can be quite distressing if you're not prepared for it.

Advertisement