Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

18c support well and truly broke, next support range 0.1630 however i expect sp to retrace to 0.15 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Half of the balance sheet is in £ hence slide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

P_Cash wrote: »

Even if that were true the £ has only slid by 7.5%. BOI is down about 35%.
    Im keeping an eye to see what it does.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

All European banks are taking a hammering.
    There may be a visit to the 2009 lows here for B Of I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is there a minimum amount you have to spend when buying shares,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Is there a minimum amount you have to spend when buying shares,

In theory no. But in practice you need to buy enough so that the fees involves in buying/selling makes profit obtainable and reasonable.

For example it might cost you €50 in fees to buy and sell.
    So if you buy €100 worth of shares you need to make 50% just to break even. But if you buy €5000 worth of shares you just need to make 1% to break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

If they hit under .10 I'll be buying again. Sold at .34 the last time but it was by chance as i wanted to invest in something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Stay well away from
    one penny stock
    . two banks.
    And three Irish stock right now.

We are at the beginning of a bear market now. It could swing back to bull but stay out or be very short in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Even if that were true the £ has only slid by 7.5%. BOI is down about 35%.
    Im keeping an eye to see what it does.

Its about 40% turnover and 16% profit. bank holds about 9 billion UK government bonds as well . In H1 a 7% drop in stg rate took 3billion euro from the banks deposit base.
    Markets seem to be pricing in a UK and possible EU implosion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

P_Cash wrote: »

40% of balance sheet but 50% of resi mortgages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What is your source for that?

Annual report always useful. Any of the rating agencies/investor research would call it out too if you have access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It is weird how stocks have been rallying for 3 days on the probably of the UK not actually leaving the EU, while the share price of BOI has flat lined. Two directors brought shares at 19 cent each on Wednesday, so maybe there is some chance of a rally

BOE is expecting to cut their interest rates in Q3, so having £9bn in bonds isnt entirely a bad thing as the bonds will rise in value.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    It is weird how stocks have been rallying for 3 days on the probably of the UK not actually leaving the EU, while the share price of BOI has flat lined. Two directors brought shares at 19 cent each on Wednesday, so maybe there is some chance of a rally

BOE is expecting to cut their interest rates in Q3, so having £9bn in bonds isnt entirely a bad thing as the bonds will rise in value.
    Stock are up the last 3 day due artificial government intervention QE . promising federal rates unchanged. And bond buying.

But banks are a different story.

So over the next 2-3 years should these shares go up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Two directors brought shares at 19 cent each on Wednesday, so maybe there is some chance of a rally
    More shares bought on Thursday.

Personally while I don't own Bank of Ireland, I did buy other bank shares this week (I have them coming out of my ears now). Bank of Ireland looks cheap, but I think there are others out there that can give a 100% return. Having said that, as a tactical trade, Bank of Ireland could be worth looking at.

Bank of Ireland should earn about €800-€900M for 2016 with market cap of €6bn. Current environment is awful, but surely if you bought now and hung on for 10x earnings, you could potentially get out of this in maybe 6 months time with a 50% profit when all the Brexit thing dies down.

If you had a long term view (2 years+), you could buy now with the expectation that dividends will be back by the end of that period. You could be looking at a 10% dividend yield on a purchase price of today at that point.

Don't buy because it's cheap now. It's cheap for a reason. There are better returns else where for your hard earned cash.

YES it will go up but way to slow for my money.

The question is not will the go up or down but how fast will i get an return and the answer is way to slow.
    2 year return I would want and get 15% and 25% return before tax. I will not get that from the bank.

Avoid irish banks and invest in good companies or funds. For faster return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

iainBB wrote: »
    Don't buy because it's cheap now. It's cheap for a reason. There are better returns else where for your hard earned cash.

YES it will go up but way to slow for my money.

The question is not will the go up or down but how fast will i get an return and the answer is way to slow.
    2 year return I would want and get 15% and 25% return before tax. I will not get that from the bank.

Avoid irish banks and invest in good companies or funds. For faster return.

What absolute drivel

• Advertisement

Islander13 wrote: »
    What absolute drivel

Ha which bit?

Buying high risk penny stock is a good idea?
    Buying banks linked to EU / UK dept risk
    Buying because the look cheap.
    Buy and hold and hope for 2 plus year you get a return?
    Buy stock you have no idea about?

Investment is about planing knowing you area. Buy good companies on the up, new products Growth. Change of management etc.
    Technical analysis is good and sales and QR/QR EPS up.

Putting 10k for example into bank of Ireland for 2 year on a wing and pray is madness.
    Put it into a wide spread high divided yield etf/etn if you don't know what you are doing and I guess you don't based on the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Investment is about planing knowing you area. Buy good companies on the up, new products Growth. Change of management etc.

Putting 10k for example into bank of Ireland for 2 year on a wing and pray is madness.
    Put it into a wide spread high divided yield etf/etn if you don't know what you are doing and I guess you don't based on the question.

Fair points but I think you are being overly negative towards BOI
    Every Bank has Debt, that`s the business get over it.
    Market cap of under 6 billion yet they will have an operating profit over 1.2 billion this year.
    Bad loan book isnt looking anywhere near as bad as first thought, many of these bad loans are now performing.
    The cherry on the cake now is it looks like there maybe a second Brexit referendum in the UK. Forget the doom stayers and Don`t miss this opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A share price isn't really an indication of quality.
    The hit to sterling and the coming blip for the UK economy doesn't justify the collapse of the share price in my opinion.
    Well you hardly want to buy them when they look dear! :)
    Yep. I think this one is worth book value of 27c and reckon at some point in the next 2 years, the share price will match that number. Excluding dividends, that's a 50% return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

. Excluding dividends, that's a 50% return.

Dividends from this bank will be significant over the next 5 years, in fact they are going to be a source of public anger as they milk the public for more profits.
    Good for share holders though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It is only a penny stock, as it is the way the shares are structured from the state investment in it. Do you think BOI should merge 100 for 1 new share to have a more 'feel good' factor for investors like you?

Do you know what country has the most profitable new mortgages in Europe? Dodgy holes like Slovakia? Czech Republic? Poland? No it is Ireland by a fair bit. Irish banks are being compensated for 'risk' more so than banks in far riskier countries. Ireland has the lowest interest rates on deposits in Europe. We have some of the most expensive car loans and SME loans in Europe. Banking is highly profitable in Ireland

BOI is one of the few banks in Europe, that has tidied up with their balance sheet. Banks in Italy, Austria and Spain have yet to deal with a ton of bad loans on their book. BOI does not have that problem

Growth of a bank stock with new products? Do you understand what banking is? It is not like Apple where they can change the industry with a new product. BOI and AIB basically have a duopoly on banking in Ireland. A monopoly should be trading more than a PE of 7. Even higher risk US regional banks have a PE of about 20-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Im not big into following or understanding markets but I do have some BOI shares and have watched them fall from high 30's to dipping just under 17 this morning (Got in low 20's two years ago).

The news on the UK economy yesterday was fairly startling, its going to take banks in London months to raise the cash to pay investors who want their money out. What is this going to trigger? It does have a shuddering familiarity to it.

So my dilema is, do I sell now at a roughly 25% loss or risk it all and hope for the best.

Closed at.16c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

Im not big into following or understanding markets but I do have some BOI shares and have watched them fall from high 30's to dipping just under 17 this morning (Got in low 20's two years ago).

The news on the UK economy yesterday was fairly startling, its going to take banks in London months to raise the cash to pay investors who want their money out. What is this going to trigger? It does have a shuddering familiarity to it.

So my dilema is, do I sell now at a roughly 25% loss or risk it all and hope for the best.
    Markets are forward looking and the info that you have is widely available and so already priced in.
    Buy low and sell high.
    It sounds easy but its not.

Advertisement