Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

ruby1998 wrote: »
    Yeah thanks for that. Going to try and cover A102, Mergers and State Aid briefly.
    I didn't cover competition on the EU paper because I didn't have enough time to review, but it was a different paper online to the other August sitting.

I have a copy, if you want me to send just let me know your email and I'll forward on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Just to warn anyone not sure if this is just a macbook/chrome thing.. if you have 'refresh' enabled by swiping back two fingers on mousepad, it kicked me out of the exam twice doing it by accident. Going to try and delete that function so it doesn't happen again. It gives you a warning page saying I had 30 seconds to resume but clicking resume wouldn't bring me back to the exam.

I had saved https://lawsocietyie.betterexaminations.com/ as a bookmark in browser which let me get back to dashboard quickly. Once I was in again it was fine, the timer just resumed where I left. Just might be confusing in the exam panic so would advise saving that bookmark if you haven't already.

Also the software seems slow to pick up my microphone every time, so I have to make noise/tap on the laptop to make it work just incase anyone else having same issue!

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    I didn't cover competition on the EU paper because I didn't have enough time to review, but it was a different paper online to the other August sitting.

I have a copy, if you want me to send just let me know your email and I'll forward on.

Would I possibly be able to get this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

ruby1998 wrote: »
    For Contract I have focused on damages anyway. Have SP knowledge because I'm also doing Equity, but that's all!

Thinking a brief knowledge might be okay hopefully have some memory from equity last year in college, feel damages are more popular

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    It's between 10 and 2 tomorrow so you'll be able to test it then. I wouldn't panic just yet!

I never got the link :mad:

I called and they said I probably won't get it in time, there was a Technical problem and my email was missed.

AND .. I use a Mac .. PANIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

I called and they said I probably won't get it in time, there was a Technical problem and my email was missed.

You dont need the link just log into your better examinations page and it should be there in exams ready to take on your dashboard

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ejm47

Yeah you don't need a link I just went to lawsocietyie.betterexaminations.com/ and it's there on your account

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    You dont need the link just log into your better examinations page and it should be there in exams ready to take on your dashboard

What email address and password are we to use? I haven't registered with them?
    I tried the address that's registered with the Law society and it doesn't work.

The only email I got from LS was the initial one to say I was approved to sit the exams , that's it. Nothing since.

I have emailed them many many many times and no reply.

Called and they can't do anything :(

What email address and password are we to use? I haven't registered with them?
    I tried the address that's registered with the Law society and it doesn't work.

The only email I got from LS was the initial one to say I was approved to sit the exams , that's it. Nothing since.

I have emailed them many many many times and no reply.

Called and they can't do anything :(

I’m sorry I have no helpful advice but that is an absolute disgrace on the part of the LS.
    They are the ones running these exams, taking our money - they can’t just wash their hands of you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

able1 wrote: »
    Would I possibly be able to get this too?
    Sure- just send me your email! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Iso_123 wrote: »
    mine have been from about 900 to 1100 but i think normally closer to the 900 mark

*CRIES* Have only been hitting the 700-750 mark...time to up the caselaw game

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Meg! wrote: »
    I got an email from Carmel re my extra time etc. Did everyone (who is suppose to get it) get this?

No I didn't get this and I am supposed to be registered for it... what did the emails say?

I’m sorry I have no helpful advice but that is an absolute disgrace on the part of the LS.
    They are the ones running these exams, taking our money - they can’t just wash their hands of you then!

I'm actually really annoyed, these exams are so stressful already.

If I log in the morning of the exams and nothing works I'll cry 😭

That's IF.... I can log in that morning !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

If you can't dazzle them with case law, baffle them with bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Everyone is different! For some of the essay q's that are quite specific I probably would get a lot less than 900-1000 and I know i tend to write more for problem q's than essays so i think it really depends

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

In constitutional, if there was a general essay q on SOP, what would people write about?

I'm a bit confused about what topics actually come under the 'SOP' heading, and also wouldn't know what to pick out for a general essay q, as surely you couldn't touch on it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

Hi there, I'm just wondering if anyone has predictions for what they expect to appear on the Company paper? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Contract Law -

Looking at Terms and construction of terms in particular - can anyone clarify if the rule used is the factual matrix rule or the plain meaning rule? Or am I wrong in saying it is a mixture of the pair?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Am I right in saying that the exams are from 10am and will run for 3.5 hours? But we can log on from 9 30 to check everything is working ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

mmullen wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the exams are from 10am and will run for 3.5 hours? But we can log on from 9 30 to check everything is working ok?

Yes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

htnor wrote: »
    Just to warn anyone not sure if this is just a macbook/chrome thing.. if you have 'refresh' enabled by swiping back two fingers on mousepad, it kicked me out of the exam twice doing it by accident. Going to try and delete that function so it doesn't happen again. It gives you a warning page saying I had 30 seconds to resume but clicking resume wouldn't bring me back to the exam.

I had saved as a bookmark in browser which let me get back to dashboard quickly. Once I was in again it was fine, the timer just resumed where I left. Just might be confusing in the exam panic so would advise saving that bookmark if you haven't already.

Also the software seems slow to pick up my microphone every time, so I have to make noise/tap on the laptop to make it work just incase anyone else having same issue!

Have you worked out how to turn this off??

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Contract Law -

Looking at Terms and construction of terms in particular - can anyone clarify if the rule used is the factual matrix rule or the plain meaning rule? Or am I wrong in saying it is a mixture of the pair?

As far as I can make out, it’s a bit of both depending on the circumstances of the actual situation. It seems to tilt more towards the factual matrix but courts don’t want to undermine too much the actual language used in a contract.

mmullen wrote: »

Does anyone know if we have 3.5 hours for the actual exam ie for writing our answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Lightup1 wrote: »

System preferences > trackpad

Then play about with it, sorry i can't remember what I did then!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Lightup1 wrote: »

Yes found online, it seems to be a Mac thing.

"You can disable chromes gestures by going to System Preference > Mouse OR Trackpad > More Gestures > and uncheck Swipe between pages."

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Hi all

I am out of time with the exam in 7 days. Do you think the following will be okay for Property:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Co Ownership
    Finding
    Easements

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

FE1new wrote: »
    Hi all

I am out of time with the exam in 7 days. Do you think the following will be okay for Property:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Co Ownership
    Finding
    Easements

I would add mortgages just to be safe and ensure you can do minimum 5 questions

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

getting suuuuper stressed with company, any predictions/minimum topics to cover ?

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    I would add mortgages just to be safe and ensure you can do minimum 5 questions
    FE1new wrote: »
    Hi all

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Co Ownership
    Finding
    Easements

I found mortgages really difficult to understand so I left it out.. if you're like me and cant get your head around it I would maybe add family property instead! I found that an ok one to learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

fe12020oct wrote: »
    getting suuuuper stressed with company, any predictions/minimum topics to cover ?

I'm the same if that's any help! I'm doing;
    Incorporation
    SLP
    Directors Duties
    S.212 Oppression/Disregard of Interests
    S.819 Restrictions
    Corporate Borrowings
    Winding Up
    Disposition of Company Assets
    Receivership (unlikely bc came up in March)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement