Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Bride/Groom

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We're end of november. Our backup venue can't do less than 30, so now plan c, and plan d in the works but might be pointless as some immediate family can't travel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Mine is next Sunday. We're really just hoping that they make the announcement late enough that they leave our weekend alone but the uncertainty is very difficult at this stage. Trying to carry on with the last minute bits while avoiding thinking about how we could be down to 6 is tough.

we're in the same boat.

The postponement until 'early next week' is good and I believe smart boxing to line up lockdown with kids being off.

The concern is do they start it early and 'go hard' straight away when the kids get out of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

jellybear wrote: »
    Hi all, I just spotted this on gov.ie under the level 4 section, thought it might be of some interest to those with upcoming weddings. It seems to suggest we will all move to level 4 as new restrictions for weddings come in to effect from tomorrow.

That screenshot is referring to the change in levels that happened in Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan last week. No new guidelines will be issued until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

That screenshot is referring to the change in levels that happened in Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan last week. No new guidelines will be issued until tomorrow.

Oh right. Apologies, I read it differently as it was under the general level 4 section, as opposed to the specific link for Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan. It's very misleading. Sorry for any confusion and hopefully tomorrow's announcement won't have even more of an impact on your special days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

In the same boat as some of you here too.. this Saturday is our date. Only hope is that they exempt weddings this weekend. Though think it is unlikely, as when Dublin went to Level 3, the announcement was made on a Monday (with effect from Wed) and they didn't exempt weddings that weekend. The latest nationwide changes were announced on a Tuesday (with effect Thursday) and they did exempt weddings that weekend.

The last few weeks have been really difficult.. This weekend just passed should have been really exciting but it was just a case of pausing for us.. Anything else we need to do requires payments, and can't commit with all the uncertainty..

Fingers crossed for later

• Advertisement

_feedback_ wrote: »
    In the same boat as some of you here too.. this Saturday is our date. Only hope is that they exempt weddings this weekend. Though think it is unlikely, as when Dublin went to Level 3, the announcement was made on a Monday (with effect from Wed) and they didn't exempt weddings that weekend. The latest nationwide changes were announced on a Tuesday (with effect Thursday) and they did exempt weddings that weekend.

The last few weeks have been really difficult.. This weekend just passed should have been really exciting but it was just a case of pausing for us.. Anything else we need to do requires payments, and can't commit with all the uncertainty..

Fingers crossed for later

Regardless of what your thoughts are about how over the top these restrictions are. It would be pure cruelty to stop weddings happening this week & weekend given all the suppliers for the most part will have been paid up.

woodchuck wrote: »
    I get that it's not technically essential travel*. But it's absolute kick in the teeth to say you can have a wedding with 25 people, when realistically it's not feasible if people can't leave their county.

*Although what if you're one of the parents? Technically the photographer can cross the county border to photograph the wedding as it's for work purposes, but the parents of the couple can't! How does that make sense!?

Seems unlikely the photographer would be there all day and evening, drinking dancing and hugging people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

RTE just retweeted that wedding guests numbers will remain at 25 until the end of the year. Small win but may be some solace for couples.

Batgurl wrote: »
    RTE just retweeted that wedding guests numbers will remain at 25 until the end of the year. Small win but may be some solace for couples.

you stole my post, if true we will be so happy after the ****tiness of wedding planning since our original date in May.

Same joy goes out to anyone else getting married this year.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I saw this on the Irish Times but it led me to believe it was for the ceremony only?

also seen this. ugh.

• Advertisement

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/level5/#weddings

Up to 25 guests can attend a wedding ceremony and reception, irrespective of venue.

Wedding can go ahead inc. reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

you stole my post, if true we will be so happy after the ****tiness of wedding planning since our original date in May.

Same joy goes out to anyone else getting married this year.

Confirmed, I'm deleting my other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

So, guests can travel to other counties now I'm presuming?

mooreman09 wrote: »
    So, guests can travel to other counties now I'm presuming?

Yes, exception has been made for weddings and funerals to the 5KM. If you really wanted to torture yourself you might ask if this is 5KM within the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alicantra123

Has anyone had clarification from hotels as to whether guests can stay overnight? My fiancé's family are travelling across the country to attend (as they are now allowed) but hotels can't say yet whether they can stay the night?? Seems nonsensical to me as I don't really see how them staying in a hotel room after would increase risk. If we were getting married in a guesthouse in the middle of nowhere would we be expected to all get home at 11.30pm??

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Has anyone had clarification from hotels as to whether guests can stay overnight? My fiancé's family are travelling across the country to attend (as they are now allowed) but hotels can't say yet whether they can stay the night?? Seems nonsensical to me as I don't really see how them staying in a hotel room after would increase risk. If we were getting married in a guesthouse in the middle of nowhere would we be expected to all get home at 11.30pm??

Don't expect common sense to apply. These decision makers are capable of anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

https://covid19.failteireland.ie/industry-updates/government-update-on-wedding-guidelines-october-21-2020/?fbclid=IwAR3TSJ2rJNqVBa2kXlBqNyy7g-s4_2V_u9AMMHxfmyK96wIc_OCXkc8dFf4

Government update on wedding guidelines, October 21 2020
    October 21, 2020

Fáilte Ireland have received an update from the Department of an Taoiseach relating to weddings in level 5 of the Resilience and Recovery 2020-2021: Plan for Living with COVID-19.

This information will be updated over the next 24 hours within the guidelines.

Guests (ceremony and reception) – 25 (not including bride, groom and essential staff)
    Travel – guests can travel to attend wedding
    Hotel accommodation for guests – permitted for bride, groom and 25 guests only
    Hair and make-up services – not permitted (in any setting)
    Wedding dress shops – closed to public
    Baker/cake – permitted
    Photographer – permitted
    Live music/dancing – not permitted (reception fully seated)
    Novelty supplies/acts – not permitted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

We were due to get married in May of this year but postponed to December. Our wedding was due to be circa 200-220 guests. Due to the proximity of the lockdown to the date of our wedding we had paid a large % of the fees prior to our wedding. All in all we paid the equivalent of around 160 guests.

Given the fact we are now unable to have a wedding of this size for the foreseeable future, we asked for a refund of the difference of 160 (which is what we paid already) and 25 guests and our venue is refusing to refund us. Given they are unable to uphold their side of our wedding contract it seems ridiculous that they are not refunding us.

Does anyone have any experience getting refunds from venues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I am getting married in 4 weeks time, Me and my Fiancee had been trying since April to get married in Ireland but faced an uphill battle of bureaucracy from the HSE with more hurdles than you'd get in Cheltenham, my Fiancee is from Latin America and not an EU Citizen.

We are getting married in Gibraltar next month, we would have gone to Las Vegas except for the Covid travel ban into the USA. Just a simple ceremony, exchange vows and rings and sign the documentation, no family members will attend just the two of us. It will cost under €400 and we are happy out. My flights to Gibraltar got cancelled today but I rebooked it. This way allows us to move forward in our lives, provide security, certainty and privileges for my partner and as we want to have Children we both agreed to wait until after marriage for this also. Next year we will be married in the Roman Catholic Church also in a spiritual ceremony if the calamity has receded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Hogzy wrote: »
    We were due to get married in May of this year but postponed to December. Our wedding was due to be circa 200-220 guests. Due to the proximity of the lockdown to the date of our wedding we had paid a large % of the fees prior to our wedding. All in all we paid the equivalent of around 160 guests.

Given the fact we are now unable to have a wedding of this size for the foreseeable future, we asked for a refund of the difference of 160 (which is what we paid already) and 25 guests and our venue is refusing to refund us. Given they are unable to uphold their side of our wedding contract it seems ridiculous that they are not refunding us.

Does anyone have any experience getting refunds from venues?

Yes, we had a very similar situation. They have no legal entitlement to difference. I would recommend you contact citizens advice in the first instance and take it from there.
    We got our money back but it took a while

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

theguzman wrote: »
    Next year we will be married in the Roman Catholic Church also in a spiritual ceremony if the calamity has receded.
    Sorry, on this particular point, here in Ireland you can't get married in the RCC if you already have had a civil marriage. In Ireland the RCC church wedding incorporates the oaths that make the civil part legal. It's very specific wording that can't be changed.

The RCC can offer you a church blessing of your civil marriage, or you could do some sort of vow renewal, but because the legalities built into the RCC marriage ceremony, you won't be able to have that because you already did the legal bit.

Now, having said that, if you just wanted to get legally married, but your faith is important to you, a priest can conduct the marriage rite (which is legally and spiritually binding) without a mass (that's only a modern addition to the process) - you'd just need two witnesses and your priest present. You would need to still attend the HSE appointment and satisfy their requirements regarding paperwork plus there's baptismal /confirmation paperwork and a declaration that you are free to marry to satisfy the RCC paperwork side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Neyite wrote: »
    Sorry, on this particular point, here in Ireland you can't get married in the RCC if you already have had a civil marriage. In Ireland the RCC church wedding incorporates the oaths that make the civil part legal. It's very specific wording that can't be changed.

The RCC can offer you a church blessing of your civil marriage, or you could do some sort of vow renewal, but because the legalities built into the RCC marriage ceremony, you won't be able to have that because you already did the legal bit.

Now, having said that, if you just wanted to get legally married, but your faith is important to you, a priest can conduct the marriage rite (which is legally and spiritually binding) without a mass (that's only a modern addition to the process) - you'd just need two witnesses and your priest present. You would need to still attend the HSE appointment and satisfy their requirements regarding paperwork plus there's baptismal /confirmation paperwork and a declaration that you are free to marry to satisfy the RCC paperwork side of things.

We have since gotten married abroad, however what we need is called a convalidation, where basically the Church will bless us and recognise us as being married, however our situation is further complicated by the fact that my (legal) wife is not Catholic, Christian or of any religion.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

theguzman wrote: »
    We have since gotten married abroad, however what we need is called a convalidation, where basically the Church will bless us and recognise us as being married, however our situation is further complicated by the fact that my (legal) wife is not Catholic, Christian or of any religion.

You can still get a blessing I'm sure. :) That's all it is really - a priest says a few prayers to bless your marriage. A sound priest would have zero issue with doing one for you. Back when I was considering a civil ceremony I had chat with a local priest and told him point blank I'd no belief system whatsoever and he and I had a very nice chat about the secular stuff he could substitute. There's no promises or prayers required from your wife if that's a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Hi folks, any update from venues about what this might change? Will be getting married between Christmas and New Years so at least we have clarity on the numbers but I'm finding it hard to see if any of the nitty gritty changes and the level 5 link above doesn't work anymore. The living with covid plan and the gov.ie website only get you so far without the operational guidelines.

Advertisement