Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HSE civil ceremony COVID

• 19-09-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all. So have organised to bring forward my postponed wedding and just go to registry office.

Now the question is, what does the ceremony entail. I'm guessing there will be limited attendants. Then what is the order of service? Has anybody had one recently and can tell me what happened for it step by step? I can't find anything online about the service. Is there usually readings and stuff? Have the meeting in a couple weeks and guess I'm supposed to have ideas ready for her

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭karlitob

jesso22 wrote: »
    Hi all. So have organised to bring forward my postponed wedding and just go to registry office.

Now the question is, what does the ceremony entail. I'm guessing there will be limited attendants. Then what is the order of service? Has anybody had one recently and can tell me what happened for it step by step? I can't find anything online about the service. Is there usually readings and stuff? Have the meeting in a couple weeks and guess I'm supposed to have ideas ready for her

What’s has this got to do with the HSE?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

karlitob wrote: »
    What’s has this got to do with the HSE?

Civil ceremonies are organised through the HSE.

Did you just see this thread on the front page and reply without knowing anything about civil ceremonies, or what happened? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The actual ceremony as per the is just the bare bones- the vows, the i do’s, you may kiss the bride. The end. Then you sign the register. It’s probably a 10-15 min ceremony. I thought I had it in my email but i must have deleted it.
    Readings, music, etc you can pick and add in yourself I’m sure. They cant mention god or religion though, Just in case you didn’t know.
    As regards numbers, it probably depends on The size of each individual registry office, but if the one I’ve been in is anything to go by I’d say six at a maximum with current restrictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

I'm basing this on a couple of years ago but I think the rules still stand.

A friend of mind got married in the registry office having just herself, partner, her parents and his parents and a friend from each sise as one was a bridesmaid and the other was a groomsman. 6 overal in attendance then there was the registrar.

Quick and easy she said. She choose one song to walk down to and then they left. It wasn't a huge deal but it honestly sounded perfect. They didn't write vows which I know is optional but given the current circumstances maybe not have vows if you're short on time. They aren't religious whatsoever so no mention of God (or anything religion related) then they signed the book and off they went outside. The most she can remember is they were in the room for 20 mins.

Once outside I would say everyone would depart. My friend had a do in her house afterwards. Like a house party as such. Honestly it was great. Everyone was at ease. You can relax and potter around and have drinks and food. My idea of a wedding anyways.

But obviously that can't be done now but it's pretty basic as that really. Mask might have to be mandatory though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You'll have to wear masks for the ceremony and the celebrant will wear a mask and visor. The number of people who can attend will depend on the size of the venue and the 25 limit in Dublin etc. Takes 15 mins approx for the bare bones. 30 mins max allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm getting married on Wednesday in the registry office in Dublin. We've been told that we can have the couple, 2 witnesses and 8 other guests, 12 in total. We had invited 15, so we've had to ask 3 to stand outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'm getting married on Wednesday in the registry office in Dublin. We've been told that we can have the couple, 2 witnesses and 8 other guests, 12 in total. We had invited 15, so we've had to ask 3 to stand outside.

Updated: I got a phonecall yesterday to say that we can now only have 9, including the registrar... i hope its not raining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,053 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Zebrag wrote: »
    They didn't write vows which I know is optional but given the current circumstances maybe not have vows if you're short on time.
    Vows are essential to the ceremony - as in, each of the couple has to publicly accept the other as husband or wife, as the case may be. There are standard vows that the HSE uses; you can elaborate on them if you want but there will be at least those basic vows.
    Zebrag wrote: »
    They aren't religious whatsoever so no mention of God (or anything religion related) then they signed the book and off they went outside.
    The absence of religious elements has nothing to do with whether the couple are religious or not; it's a HSE requirement, and it's quite strict. It can limit your choice of music, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I cancelled my own HSE appointment today, 3 months is a long wait coupled with horrendous levels of unnecessary bureaucracy and I wouldn't trust the HSE with anything, they are a shower of incompetent morons. No way I would wear a mask on the day of my wedding, I avoid wearing one already as much as possible as I have a medical exemption.

Me and my Fiancee are now looking at marrying in Las Vegas again, we are thinking to spend a two week pre-honeymoon on an island in Turkey or in Southern Mexico, after that time period we will be eligible to enter the United States again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

AfAiK from a friend OP there are different ‘sites’ in Dublin you can be married by a HSE registrar in. There are also different offices - the one at the canal near Charlotte dock is supposed to be nice ( or less grim) and you used be able to get a list of ‘venues’ and HSE ‘official’ registrars to choose from to conduct your ceremony. Not sure how it works now.

No need to go chasing covid around mexico, usa & turkey to infect your new wife and family back home to ‘celebrate’ your commitment.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    I cancelled my own HSE appointment today, 3 months is a long wait coupled with horrendous levels of unnecessary bureaucracy and I wouldn't trust the HSE with anything, they are a shower of incompetent morons. No way I would wear a mask on the day of my wedding, I avoid wearing one already as much as possible as I have a medical exemption.

Me and my Fiancee are now looking at marrying in Las Vegas again, we are thinking to spend a two week pre-honeymoon on an island in Turkey or in Southern Mexico, after that time period we will be eligible to enter the United States again.
    This sounds staggeringly over the top. It's a ten minute ceremony, and instead you want to head off to unsafe countries to get married?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

theguzman wrote: »

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read in a while. You can’t possibly wait until December. But yesterday you posted elsewhere that you’re going to get married in January?
    The “horrendous levels of Bureaucracy” involves A 30 minute appointment where a qualified professional makes sure you’re both who you say you are and that you’ve got genuine reasons to want to marry. I don’t see the issue.

Having been to Las Vegas I can't think of a more depressing place to get married. Why would you be arsed going through all those hoops when you can just do it here.

And I question anyone who doesn't wear a mask because they've a medical exemption yet wants to travel in a sealed tube with recycled air and go to a covid hotspot like the US.

Advertisement