Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Face covering exemption question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

todolist wrote: »
    Thanks for all the contributions. The school can not accommodate a pupil who has an exemption from face coverings.My son wont be back to school until the face covering directive is over.

Are you going to take further action? Did they offer any solutions or ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Thanks for all the contributions. The school can not accommodate a pupil who has an exemption from face coverings.My son wont be back to school until the face covering directive is over.

As I said previously, equality law specifically requires extra assistance or arrangements to be provided to ensure access or provision of services. It is up to both parent and school to work together on something like this. Separation from direct contact with classmates but not secluded seems reasonable. Perhaps with some alternative to a mask such as visor would bring the risk down to an acceptable situation. Just to point out, if you exclude your child from attending school, there are legal ramifications for this.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Cafe i was in this morning has a new sign saying wear protection or no service and i can see things getting worse.

What do you mean you can see things getting worse? Dont wear a mask no coffee. Wear a mask get coffee.

If you have exemption, should you be able to show proof? Like in the Lidl, I can walk in and say I have exempt..should I not have to prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If you have exemption, should you be able to show proof? Like in the Lidl, I can walk in and say I have exempt..should I not have to prove it?

Unfortunately they made a mess of it , people can self exampt by claiming they have one of the conditions listed for exemption and apparently cannot be challenged to provide any evidence to prove your exempt from wearing a mask .
    There has been an increase in people contacting gps asking for letters to say that they have an medical exemption but not to disclose the exemption is in the letter.

Which makes the whole exemption clause a waste of time and effort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

greasepalm wrote: »
    Cafe i was in this morning has a new sign saying wear protection or no service and i can see things getting worse.

The difficulty is there for the few (very few) who are unable to wear a mask. People will make a judgement and it makes it tough for those people.

For those who simply don't want to wear one or finding it a little inconvenient or a bit uncomfortable - these are the people you are really screwing over. Not only are they likely at a higher risk of suffering if they do get covid, but more likely to be met with judgement if a large number of 'chancers' (for want of a better word) keep pushing the boundaries.

This is not a reflection on the OP's situation or the main topic of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

joeguevara wrote: »
    What do you mean you can see things getting worse? Dont wear a mask no coffee. Wear a mask get coffee.

More and more places will be covering themselves with the figures rising daily and saying their trying to keep everyone safe,i have no issues in that aspect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But they did accommodate by using a screen, this enabled them to continue to educate whilst still protecting other students.

The school has a duty of care to protect all students and have made a reasonable adjustment to enable that to occur.

I get you are unhappy with the adjustment they made but you have to also think of other students and rather then being critical of the school why don't you propose a solution that also ensures other students are kept safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Face coverings are medical opinion. A virus with a worldwide death rate of 800K is not unremarkable.

Considering the simple fact that about 35,000K people died worldwide in the same timeframe it is not that scary number. Not even special.

The most comical thing on this whole thing is that if you want to have that coffee you must put your mask off anyway. :D

• Advertisement

patnor1011 wrote: »
    The most comical thing on this whole thing is that if you want to have that coffee you must put your mask off anyway. :D

How is that comical?Hardly going to eat or drink with a mask on. Most people would be getting takeaway. Wear a mask while ordering in front of someone’s face. If staying in then social distance away from everyone else.

How is that comical?Hardly going to eat or drink with a mask on. Most people would be getting takeaway. Wear a mask while ordering in front of someone’s face. If staying in then social distance away from everyone else.

You can not come in without your mask on only to have to put it away as soon as you get your coffee. Pretty comical.
    Have a blast and watch people in establishments offering substantial meals in solid and liquid form. I have a hard time to actually find a few who sit with their mask on all the time and take it down for just a second to have a sip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

You can not come in without your mask on only to have to put it away as soon as you get your coffee. Pretty comical.
    Have a blast and watch people in establishments offering substantial meals in solid and liquid form. I have a hard time to actually find a few who sit with their mask on all the time and take it down for just a second to have a sip.

I'm struggling to see what you find so comical apart from your own misunderstanding of how it works.

Restaurant - Wear mask when you enter, wait to be seated, then take your mask off.

Cafe - Wear mask when you enter, wait to be seated, then take your mask off.

Workplaces - Wear mask when you enter and are moving around the building, take it off when at your own desk.

I'm 100% behind places going "no mask no service" as well, there are too many scumbags wandering through shops and shopping centres without one on and without a care in the world. Such a provisio would put an immediate stop to that.

Either you are being obtuse on purpose or clearly don't understand the requirement or the reasons for them. No one ever stated that there is a requirement that the mask be worn at the table, this is why there is a social distance requirement between tables. Have no clue what a substantial meal in liquid form is. Are you one of these people who constantly says 'the virus is intelligent, it knows to stay away from someone who is eating a bowl of chips'?

I'm struggling to see what you find so comical apart from your own misunderstanding of how it works.

Restaurant - Wear mask when you enter, wait to be seated, then take your mask off.

Cafe - Wear mask when you enter, wait to be seated, then take your mask off.

Workplaces - Wear mask when you enter and are moving around the building, take it off when at your own desk.

I'm 100% behind places going "no mask no service" as well, there are too many scumbags wandering through shops and shopping centres without one on and without a care in the world. Such a provisio would put an immediate stop to that.

This is exactly what is comical on the whole situation. This inventing whole new mask etiquette oh how and when to use them. With things like this - regulations constantly changing to accomodate everyone whole thing become complete nonsense.
    Oh and I am one of those scumbags you are referring to. I like to wear tracksuit when out and about it is nice to change from what I have to wear at work. I wander through shops and shopping centers "without one" and being dressed as I am I have to endure stares of people like you who think they occupy some high moral ground protecting vulnerable. With my medical condition I do not wear a mask and I try to limit my shopping precisely because of this scumbag branding.

Either you are being obtuse on purpose or clearly don't understand the requirement or the reasons for them. No one ever stated that there is a requirement that the mask be worn at the table, this is why there is a social distance requirement between tables. Have no clue what a substantial meal in liquid form is. Are you one of these people who constantly says 'the virus is intelligent, it knows to stay away from someone who is eating a bowl of chips'?

I understand the requirement. It is that you can feel good for protecting me despite that I do not really need it or care. I know what I should do to be protected as much as I can.
    It seems you do not understand how masks works. It is pointless excercise to have one on when entering only to take it out when sitting at your table and eating unless you happen to sit outside. Or do you think that if you blow on a spoon of hot soup that any virus from your lungs will not travel more than 2 meters which is "recommended social distance"?
    The longer this go on and the more advices and recommendations come to effect the bigger of a mess it will create.

I understand the requirement. It is that you can feel good for protecting me despite that I do not really need it or care. I know what I should do to be protected as much as I can.
    It seems you do not understand how masks works. It is pointless excercise to have one on when entering only to take it out when sitting at your table and eating unless you happen to sit outside. Or do you think that if you blow on a spoon of hot soup that any virus from your lungs will not travel more than 2 meters which is "recommended social distance"?
    The longer this go on and the more advices and recommendations come to effect the bigger of a mess it will create.

You are correct. Honestly the no mask requirement for when you are sitting at a table is bizarre. Been out for breakfast twice in the Filipina owned cafe in Dun Laoghaire. Sat once outside and the other time on the table near the door by itself. Wouldn’t feel comfortable in the tables down the back. I’m vigilant with mask wearing and don’t really care what others are doing anymore. I quickly found that worrying about what others do is worse than what they do.

But when coming in to the likes of a coffee shop or takeaway and ordering to go, wearing a mask rocks.

You are correct. Honestly the no mask requirement for when you are sitting at a table is bizarre. Been out for breakfast twice in the Filipina owned cafe in Dun Laoghaire. Sat once outside and the other time on the table near the door by itself. Wouldn’t feel comfortable in the tables down the back. I’m vigilant with mask wearing and don’t really care what others are doing anymore. I quickly found that worrying about what others do is worse than what they do.

But when coming in to the likes of a coffee shop or takeaway and ordering to go, wearing a mask rocks.

I must be different. To me wearing a mask is tragedy - Reading facial expressions is very important and what I am missing the most is the smile. To say that it is depressing is understatement and I try to limit my interactions with people as much as I can as I simply cant bear looking at masked people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I must be different. To me wearing a mask is tragedy - Reading facial expressions is very important and what I am missing the most is the smile. To say that it is depressing is understatement and I try to limit my interactions with people as much as I can as I simply cant bear looking at masked people.

Yep. Masks are sh1t. More sh1t would be catching covid I reckon though

amdublin wrote: »
    Yep. Masks are sh1t.

Never said that. Tragedy does not equal to sh1t.
    amdublin wrote: »
    More sh1t would be catching covid I reckon though

That really depends. Most likely yes for about 1 or 2 people out of a hundred. Some incovenience for another about 40 who may experience mild symptoms. About 25 will not get it due to simply being imune and about 35 will not even notice they have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Never said that. Tragedy does not equal to sh1t.

That really depends. Most likely yes for about 1 or 2 people out of a hundred. Some incovenience for another about 40 who may experience mild symptoms. About 25 will not get it due to simply being imune and about 35 will not even notice they have it.

If i worked in a building with 100 people and a gunman came in saying i won't shoot anyone if you all wear a mask, but if you don't ill shoot 2 people - id wear the f**King mask.

This is exactly what is comical on the whole situation. This inventing whole new mask etiquette oh how and when to use them. With things like this - regulations constantly changing to accomodate everyone whole thing become complete nonsense.
    Oh and I am one of those scumbags you are referring to. I like to wear tracksuit when out and about it is nice to change from what I have to wear at work. I wander through shops and shopping centers "without one" and being dressed as I am I have to endure stares of people like you who think they occupy some high moral ground protecting vulnerable. With my medical condition I do not wear a mask and I try to limit my shopping precisely because of this scumbag branding.

Interesting post. I'm going to avoid the tracksuit issue as I don't agree that anyone be labelled purely by the clothes they wear.

What I found bizarre is you have an underlying illness which means that you don't wear a mask and you limit your time shopping, not for fear of catching Covid which is much higher risk with underlying illness but because you don't want to be considered a scumbag.

If it is a breathing illness, why wander around shops and shopping centres at all. Surely much safer to get a delivery and walk and wander around somewhere outside which is less risky.

If it is an anxiety condition why walk and wander around crowded areas which would exacerbate anxiety. Did you ever consider that other get anxiety about catching the illness from people not wearing a mask.

If you have an illness which exempt you from wearing a mask, why not seek alternative ways of doing shopping. Or is it basically, you don't want to wear a mask and don't care about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

fits wrote: »
    Are you going to take further action? Did they offer any solutions or ideas?
    He has to stay home. They send school work to his laptop sporadically.
    I have exhausted all avenues and so have to accept this. Not the end of the world. We'll adapt and manage the situation.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    If i worked in a building with 100 people and a gunman came in saying i won't shoot anyone if you all wear a mask, but if you don't ill shoot 2 people - id wear the f**King mask.

Not applicable comparison. What you fail to realize is that unless you are immune you will get it. Sooner or later anyway, and most of the mask people use will not stop it. Mask is not going and it is not supposed to stop you from catching virus - but to stop you to become super-spreader and limit what amount of virus you put out if infected.

Interesting post. I'm going to avoid the tracksuit issue as I don't agree that anyone be labelled purely by the clothes they wear.

What I found bizarre is you have an underlying illness which means that you don't wear a mask and you limit your time shopping, not for fear of catching Covid which is much higher risk with underlying illness but because you don't want to be considered a scumbag.

If it is a breathing illness, why wander around shops and shopping centres at all. Surely much safer to get a delivery and walk and wander around somewhere outside which is less risky.

If it is an anxiety condition why walk and wander around crowded areas which would exacerbate anxiety. Did you ever consider that other get anxiety about catching the illness from people not wearing a mask.

If you have an illness which exempt you from wearing a mask, why not seek alternative ways of doing shopping. Or is it basically, you don't want to wear a mask and don't care about anything else.

All sound and nice ideas until you realize that life is not an easy affair. Shopping is the least I have to do considering I am working in a place where already was outbreak of covid two times.
    Since I cant avail of convenience of working from home or luxury of getting covid payment and cocooning as 350 is simply not going to do it for me shopping is the least of my problems.
    I have no fear of catching covid despite having underlying issues. All the data we have point that it is 50:50 chance of being mildly sick or not sick at all. Chance of it beeing bad is minimal.

Even if you are vulnerable and have underlying issues there are ways to protect yourself from covid going bad. Having plenty of excercise, healthy balanced diet and vitamines will keep your immune system in best shape to deal with corona. All of that will also help to deal with other inconveniences like flu or cold. People really need to stop worry too much and think that covid is the end of the world or some sort of death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

todolist wrote:
    My 13 year old has a medical exemption from wearing face coverings in secondary school.Today he went into his school for induction.The Principal was aware of his exemption yet she made him sit away from other classmates behind a plastic screen beside the class teacher. Surely he should be allowed to sit at his desk like everyone else? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Very difficult situation, unfortunately, can he wear a visor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I have exhausted all avenues and so have to accept this. Not the end of the world. We'll adapt and manage the situation.

Could you work with him at home to gradually get him to wear the mask? Try a few different types to find the most comfortable, wear it for ten minutes at a time. Have any of the autism support groups got any advice on how to help with the sensory side of things? It looks like mask-wearing is going to be with us for a while so he needs to be able to wear one to avoid being locked away for months/years.
    I have to wear a mask all day at work. For the first few days I felt like I was suffocating but now I’m used to it and can manage it for long periods. One of my sons has some sensory issues and we’ve found some soft fabric masks that he will tolerate for school. I’ll find the link and post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oscar-Apparels-Mask-Elastic-Adult/dp/B08C8FKS7P We use these for my son. They do kids sizes too. Very soft, no metal clip and easy to wash. I’m sure there are many similar ones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.Should he be made sit on the roof of the bus on the way into school to protect other passengers?

You cannot know that your son or anyone else is not a carrier of the virus at anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don’t think I would accept that. This could go on a long time and our kids need to be out in the community. Do you have an OT who could advise you on mask wearing? I’d also be in touch witH AsIAm and Inclusion Ireland for advice.

I’m honestly relieved my kids are preschoolers. This whole situation is setting so many families back.

Advertisement