Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Happy Towel Day!

• 25-05-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

What are you doing to mark the occasion?

I am planning on forcing my little vogons to watch the tV series.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sharrow wrote: »
    What are you doing to mark the occasion?

I am planning on forcing my little vogons to watch the tV series.

Resistance is futile

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll probably spend the day punishing one of the mods of this forum with vogon poetry for forgetting that it is Towel Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Happy Towel Day all. 25+5+12= The answer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's nearly time folks! Have my towel picked out and all! Presume you all take your towel to work?

I have my own personalised towel with the number 42 on it. :D If I think of it I'll post a picture tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm having mine cleaned for the occasion! :D

Steve wrote: »
    I'm having mine cleaned for the occasion! :D

It's amazing how quickly that time of the year comes around, isn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yeah, there's a term for that, it's called getting old I think.. :(

Steve wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a term for that, it's called getting old I think.. :(

We fall on a saturday this year. Shall look quite odd in the Supermarket!

My towel :)

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    My towel :)

Oh Zaph ! :(

That's awesome but......... there's a simpson clip appropriate to this too :D

In my experience there's a Simpsons clip appropriate to just about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

I spilt something that tastes almost, but not quite like tea on my towel so it's now pegged to the line and flapping in the breeze in the way bricks don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Happy Towel Day!

Happy Towel Day
    A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
    Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Chapter 3)

Happy Towel Day!

Advertisement