Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do the cows go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm going to take the word of a confirmed troll such as yourself :rolleyes:

I'm sure you have loads of naturally inseminated, inbred cattle running around your farm. :rolleyes:

Jesus christ. Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Most vegans keep unwanted cattle as pets, until they die of natural causes.
    All cows are artificially inseminated so they can't survive in the wild anyway.

They can't survive in the wild because they are artificially inseminated? :D:D:D

YFlyer wrote: »
    Dogs can survive in the wild.

So can wild bovines and even some domestic ones. But that's not the point is it.

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes - in many countries they are. There is just a fraction of the number of Donkeys now. In Africa and elsewhere the Chinese are buying them up to use in traditional medicine. Some countries indiginous populationsof donkies are being decimated. Not going to link to the story as per the charter here. But a google will bring up the details if you want to check it out ...

Every Tom, Dick and Harry had a donkey in days gone by not as many around now.

At the end of the day, it comes down to money. People will move away from traditional farming if that's where the larger profits are. Effects doesn't want to say much about it but does anyone have any information on whether plant based farming can be just as profitable for farmers?

The thing is livestock are part of the farming package as all land is not suited for crops or crops for human consumption and livestock are needed to put organic matter back in the soil, compost simply won't work. There was an article on the internet explaining why the world can't go vegan.

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    No but they'd probably sell it back to the state or take a forestry grant if they had no better use for it. Animal agriculture is a horribly inefficient use of land.

Ireland is just about the least forested country in Europe now. The extinction event already happened here and it's happening elsewhere in the world right now.

Whatever you do don't glue yourself to a London tube.

Just for clarity - basic article here about the use of stock bulls.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/are-you-managing-your-stock-bull-correctly/

Tbh the one thing I find extremly disingenuous is the amount of misinformation that is being put out about farming. It really doesn't help any discussion tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

No responsible animal owner, whether breeding dogs or farming cattle allows inbreeding and to suggest otherwise is idiotic.

Yeah, that was my point. You missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

You should think about using “roll eyes” or something similar. Some people could take your posts as an example of what happens on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You were being serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

gozunda wrote: »
    Just for clarity - basic article here about the use of stock bulls.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/are-you-managing-your-stock-bull-correctly/

Tbh the one thing I find extremly disingenuous is the amount of misinformation that there is about farming. It really doesn't help any discussion tbh.

A massive amount of misinformation out there.
    The difference between animal welfare levels in Ireland and places like the USA and South America is huge.
    It's why Irish farmers are so strongly against Mercosur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't glue yourself to a London tube.

And the same to you I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm just wondering, if everyone becomes vegan, where do the cows go? What do we do with them? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'd be interested in becoming a vegan but I've just never figured out what happens to cattle if they're no longer needed for food?

They'd still go to the factory to be turned into cuts for the British market.

Maybe you mean if some miraculous mass world conversion took place.
    They'd still go the factory to be turned into lipstick, jet fuel, insulin, antifreeze, steroids, blood thinners, collegan, gellatin, leather and hundreds of other products.

Eathrin wrote: »
    And the same to you I suppose...

No fear as I'm not an XR nutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

jet fuel? So an authentic vegan cannot fly in a plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Prisca

Cows live on until they don’t anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭emaherx

More likely lubricants used in jet engines than fuel but also brake fluids and antifreezes for cars. But then again anyone who seriously believes we shouldn't eat meat for environmental reasons shouldn't fly in planes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭emaherx

Prisca wrote: »
    Cows live on until they don’t anymore.

Just like now. Great first post welcome to Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭endainoz

Effects wrote:
    Most vegans keep unwanted cattle as pets, until they die of natural causes. All cows are artificially inseminated so they can't survive in the wild anyway.

Effects wrote:
    I'm a vegan farmer, of course I believe that.

Effects wrote:
    As a farmer myself, I've already given up land to return to nature. I get paid by the EU to do so.

Effects wrote:
    Nuts, berries, fruits.

Sounds like you have a few briars in your back garden. You have me a good laugh all the same.

Let's keep it going for the craic, are you in the organic scheme seen as your a vegan farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

They also have to choose to die to diabetes too.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    More likely lubricants used in jet engines than fuel but also brake fluids and antifreezes for cars. But then again anyone who seriously believes we shouldn't eat meat for environmental reasons shouldn't fly in planes anyway.
    *except for mandatory pilgrimages to India and South America obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Rikand wrote: »
    They also have to choose to die to diabetes too.

Diabetic here, and I'm not even remotely vegan BTW. My insulin is made by modified e.coli, not cows. I have heard of pork insulins still being used, but not beef. It has been a while since I read up on it, so I only know what's going on with my own medications right now.

Anyway, does any vegan have a problem with e.coli and yeast being used to create hormones that save human beings from dying? I can't say I've heard about it, but I am sure I will. So far, zero of the vegans I know have taken issue with the way I don't "choose to die to diabetes".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Cow's are amazing animals, I love them.
    These big eye's, they're very curious and living in the Burren up near the winterage you can see how their coats get really furry in the winter.

If you drive from Lisdoonvarna Around to Ballyvaughan from now on you'll see the wild cattle grazing away on the limestone plateau's.

Around November they take on change and their hair grows very long, they're really fluffy looking.

You can also see them along the commonage in the Burren...

They're in the field behind my house about half the time. When they are there my garden is full of flies. It's really gross.

They fart methane. They take up land that could have trees planted in it instead. They are sometimes given feed imported from different countries. Therefore from an environmental point of view they should just be slaughtered and consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭endainoz

They're in the field behind my house about half the time. When they are there my garden is full of flies. It's really gross. They fart methane. They take up land that could have trees planted in it instead. They are sometimes given feed imported from different countries. Therefore from an environmental point of view they should just be slaughtered and consumed.

Jesus your obsessed with your flies, you also have absolutely no idea or proof that their feed is imported. In fact it likely isn't at all, you forgot they fertilize the ground too. They could also co exist quite easily with a few trees in the field so they could compliment each other from a habitat point of view, dosent have to be one extreme or the other.

Also the last line of your post makes zero sense and not worth responding to.

It's actually difficult to decipher the people who post here sometimes, either they are expert trolls or completely uninformed idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Only on boards FFS would you get quirky questions+ answers like these,,,,,put a smile on my face today- thank you,as it was badly needed

BDI wrote:
    We would give them a small country to rule as they see fit. Somewhere with lots of grass.

That's a cracker,v funny - witty answer,you must be from Cork kid

We don't eat donkeys, are they endangered?

Another good answer

They fart methane. They take up land that could have trees planted in it instead. They are sometimes given feed imported from different countries. Therefore from an environmental point of view they should just be slaughtered and consumed.

Nope. Incorrect. It is cows burps not farts which are news regarding emissions. But if you are wondering about some of the most significant causes of methane emissions - a recent NASA study, has confirmed significant Methane spikes have been tied to Oil and Gas and rice production.
    Combining isotopic evidence from ground surface measurements with the newly calculated fire emissions, the team showed that about 17 teragrams per year of the increase is due to fossil fuels, another 12 is from wetlands or rice farming, while fires are decreasing by about 4 teragrams per year. The three numbers combine to 25 teragrams a year -- the same as the observed increase.

https://www.ecowatch.com/nasa-study-methane-spike-2526089909.html?fbclid=IwAR1U87gLM7Mz9MyrYPPoBEfixyCldqpLIDUR0H0ijJFSgRl4lRqoUEw0uxE

But yes cows produce milk - which is recognised as a valuable part of healthy balanced diet. From a purely environmental viewpoint - it would surely be much better to demolish the vast concrete urban wastelands to the plant forests. Oh and the feedstuffs which are sometimes fed to cattle and other animals are primarily the waste and by-products of the human food industry. It doesn't surprise me that some plant food advocates think cows should be eradicated. The same viewpoint apparently is held by a number of leading plant food advocates who also want all wild predators wiped off tte face off the planet. Nice ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I've read some of PETA's ideology, how you can have the word 'Ethical' in your acronym , yet want predatory animals wiped out. Wonder have they studied the effects that would have on the ecosystem?

Advertisement