Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible to add a vanity unit to bathroom sink?

Options
  • 06-10-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Buying a new build house. Sinks in bathroom already installed. Is it possible to add a vanity unit like this easily? If it is possible, is it costly? Thanks.

ID80FS-BLK_1_Supersize.jpg?width=937&height=937&v=3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That unit is all in one with the sink resting in the wall mounted unit.

How are you current sinks installed? Wall mounted or pedestal? There are some units designed to fit under these which will give you a somewhat similar effect dlthough less slick as they are not designed together.
    Like this:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/silveran-tyngen-wash-basin-base-cabinet-w-2-doors-white-lillsvan-tap-s69295146/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Marcusm wrote: »
    That unit is all in one with the sink resting in the wall mounted unit.

How are you current sinks installed? Wall mounted or pedestal? There are some units designed to fit under these which will give you a somewhat similar effect dlthough less slick as they are not designed together.
    Like this:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/silveran-tyngen-wash-basin-base-cabinet-w-2-doors-white-lillsvan-tap-s69295146/

Yeah I understand the one above is attached - my mate reckoned someone good with wood might still be able to attach one!

I'm not fully sure - I don't think there's a pedastal - and yes, I have spotted the free standing ones but wanted something cleaner. Oh well. I guess I will have to do without!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I was looking to get the same done when I was renovating, it was too much hassle so I went with something similar to the photo you have and it looks really smart. Save yourself the grief and buy the new sink and unit together.

Payton wrote: »
    I was looking to get the same done when I was renovating, it was too much hassle so I went with something similar to the photo you have and it looks really smart. Save yourself the grief and buy the new sink and unit together.

Not renovating yet - it's a new build and I haven't even moved in yet lol !

I better wait a few years before I break the news to himself that I want to yank the sink out! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Depends on the tiles.
    If it comes off easy and the tiles stay intact you can sit in your vanity unit and use the existing pipes with little hassle for a plumber.
    If you try take the sink off and all the tiles come with it and when you go to put the vanity unit in it can’t cover the broken tiles then you may need a tiler or if you can’t replace the tiles that are already on the wall a tiler and a new set of tiles.

By that stage you might want to think about a full bathroom makeover

• Advertisement

Not renovating yet - it's a new build and I haven't even moved in yet lol !

I better wait a few years before I break the news to himself that I want to yank the sink out! Haha

It's not really a big job, to be honest (changing a sink, presuming it's not moving somewhere new). You'd swap it out for less than €300 fitted, I'd say. Less, if you went with a cheaper sink/unit.

I'm female but okay 'dude' :D

Not even in the house yet so I'll see how I feel when I get in (eventually!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

https://www.facebook.com/239260232808708/posts/653217261413001/?substory_index=0

This is an option.
    I've dealt with the company, would recommend them.

Advertisement