Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

• 06-01-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

After some slight disagreement yesterday, the Numerical Weather Models in the last 24 hours have become increasingly aligned and all signal at a significant cold spell, the first of the winter, and perhaps the most substantial cold incursion for a few years.

This evenings EC suite is mouth-watering and builds on strong Ensemble support on the 00z output.

There is now cross-model support for a cold spell, with the key building blocks taking place from around 120hrs.

All major global NWP models are aligned..

GFS
    gfs-0-144.png?12

UKM
    UW144-21.GIF?06-18

ECMWF
    ECM1-144.GIF?06-0

Further ahead

It seems nailed on we will enter a spell of around 5 days of cold weather with wintry showers and harsh frosts.

Some models want to prolong the cold incursion further and feed in an unstable north-easterly flow, extending the cold spell into what could be a potentially major mid-winter freeze.

EC @ 240hrs

ECM1-240.GIF?06-0

To conclude:

So a major change on the way, time to get your winter clothing sorted and ensure fuel supplies are plentiful.

The good news is it will be much drier and generally much brighter with good periods of sunshine likely. But as the cold spell extends there is the increasing chance of a widespread snow-event.

Snow-fall distribution, heights etc, to be ironed out in the coming days, as the synoptic will evolve in the coming days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

When MT comes on board I'll be excira

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I wonder will flooded areas freeze over?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

I've been waiting for that thread title since..... Well 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

A decent shot of what though? Its January after the warmest December on record. Any significant drop in temperatures is going to seem cold relatively speaking. We are talking about Friday week? Very early days.

Yes of course, it is early days. And the models will probably change to some extent. But what they are showing right now is prolonged (proper) wintry weather. I haven't seen winter charts like these since 2010. Even more unusual to have all the major models agreeing with each other (slight differences of course).
    Nothing set in stone though. Could just end up in short cold snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I wonder will flooded areas freeze over?

Would be some nightmare if they were left with 6" thick frozen ice around the outside of the house and all the water underneath drained away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

AO forecast to drop off the scale...

ao.sprd2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That's it jinxed now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

leahyl wrote: »
    Not being a debbie downer but some of the charts I've seen just now are for a week away! Surely there's a big chance of these changing again....?!

In order to enjoy the weather forum when there's a potential cold spell you've got to learn to love the models as much as the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

That's it jinxed now!

What's that ????mageddon word?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Isn't the timing pretty bang on with MTs early season winter weather prediction? Damn he's good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Hmmm,interesting.So is it due to hit in 120hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Thread okay ... But to stick a level 1 on it so far out :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

magentis wrote: »
    Hmmm,interesting.So is it due to hit in 120hrs?

Well don't expect to wake up to a foot of snow in 5 days time but if this thing holds together, are you ready for conditions to arrive that would over a few days as it goes on and sets in increase the likelihood of snow (a lot)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Hardly a major change; it's already so cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lots of signals pointing the right way and even some SSW looking possible but we could have a few false dawns so don't all throw the toys out of the pram if this downgrades!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL if you think this is cold you could be in for a shock :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

It's really mild for January - for the whole winter so far - in my opinion. Virtually no frost yet where I am. Not even a need for heating every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Villain wrote: »
    Lots of signals pointing the right way and even some SSW looking possible but we could have a few false dawns so don't all throw the toys out of the pram if this downgrades!

Aye,weather fora like NW Two and here are littered with the corpses of false dawns eg jan 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

So cold?? Nearly at tshirt n shorts stages the past few weeks ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If there is no major downgrade in the next 48- 72 hours, and we are due an event akin to December 2010,
    I hope Gerry Murphy gets to deliver the good news
    of snowmageddon coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Great news.. even more traffic chaos than normal ahead so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    So cold?? Nearly at tshirt n shorts stages the past few weeks ffs
    Maybe they mean it's "damp cold". Still though, totally different to dry cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hmm don't think it warrants a warning at this stage.

But I do remember in 2010 all models caught it nice and early too... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hmm don't think it warrants a warning at this stage.

Agreed...I have removed warning as I think it may be premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Agreed...I have removed warning as I think it may be premature.

Ah don't be a spoil sport 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

BBC weather agrees with some type of cold spell next week.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/35248338

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

EC en run out to day 10: Looks very conservative to me, but plenty of scope for change.

373942.gif

In response to various posts about needing a -9 850 profile for snow. I say not necessarily. The snow that hit here on afternoon/eve the 24th Nov 2010 (the start of the 'big one) occurred with an upper temp profile of -5 to -7c.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

If the bbc are talking about a cold spell now, i'll believe it, they've been spot on so far with the rain here in the north east this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭KathleenF

I've nothing to contribute to this forum in terms of knowledge or analysis but can I just say as a snow fiend that. I. Am. LOVING. This. Thread. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Things are definitely going in the "right" (wrong for some) direction for a bit of shock to the system but caution should also be applied too. I'll give it 3 more days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement