Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I can't disagree with any of that. The sweet spot as far as I can see is about 60-70% holstein friesian cross. Good milk, good fertility, good calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As I have explained many times a finisher basically operates on a margin. Most now operate short term systems from 70 days to 4-5 months. When they decide on there net margin they will deduct there operating costs. Then they know what they can afford for any particular type of animal they buy.

That is the suckker man's choice. He can change his system and try to get into a more profitable system.

Who gives a duck if there is quality continental cattle here next year. The reality is that most market's are looking for carcasses in the 280-340 kgs weight range grading O+/R-.

A large part of the market is mince and the minc for a P+ bullocks makes the same as that from U= bullock.

Any extra margin is being eaten up by costs. As well because rations went up significantly in price most finisher's were killing cattle at a lower weight in order to cut costs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

That man in Kilworth hasn’t been Number one with a while - he had been knocked off it before the lists ended but I’d imagine with so much genomics going on and looking at the bulls he’s producing for sale he’s probably a bit off it now. Imo he lost out cause of the narrow nature of the British Friesian bloodlines available EBI wise. Tbf though he does have the dream herd.

Imo The fact that fr4513 Albert is so popular is down to his 25% Friesian - not cause of the fact he is 25% Friesian but the fact that he Carries the traditional protein, fertility and natural condition level (not over excessive) of the British Fr

If the average farmer crossed with British Friesian today from a 80/20 herd yes they’ll gain longevity but they will lose production in the short run and the objective of the EBI is to improve this fertility without the drop in milk. Whether that has been achieved or not is another question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Need to buy 7 or 8 storks (bullocks) for a neighbour who is getting on with years. He will be leaving them out to grass for the Summer and selling in October or November.

He likes nice quality continental type Cattle.....up to this year he was able to buy them himself.

He only asked me yesterday and tbh I haven't been watching any online sales nor have been to a Mart in 4 or 5 months!

What kind of trade are good straight square Ch or Lm bred year olds at the moment?......hungry type cattle with a thrive in them would be the best buy.

I would be hoping to get say R grade cattle for him for around 500 euro with the weight....is that about the run of storks say born last March or April and 350 to 380kg?

There is a good butt of grass on his ground so I would like to buy them sooner rather than later as usually those type of weanlings get dearer by 50 -80 euro in mid April when more people have grass.

Appreciate any feedback from people who have sold similiar type stock in last few weeks or who regularly watch stock selling online or in Marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Is this a wind up ?

He wants good quality R grade LM / CH ( presumably bullocks ) brought to this point of their second year for € 850 ?

• Advertisement

He said 350 to 380 kgs. 850-880 euro its plenty for them......

Doubt if you will buy them for that. I imagine 2.8-3/kg. 1000 to 1100 euro. Hard to see a margin on them.

Get the LSL premium for q month. You can watch back on the sales after they are over.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’d be concerned selling stores in November if there is a fodder shortage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Picking up plenty of continental bulls averaging round €2,40 a kg. Fair enough The fancy ones will make more but if you take your time you will get what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

Sold 2 bullocks Monday, I lmx 450kgs 1250,1 chx 480kgs,1280.both 13 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There was 385kg Ch blks in Ennis Friday made 1450.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t consider it plenty for them .

I sold 440 kgs LM bulls a month ago for € 1200 . Black LM out of black HEX cows .At this stage of the year , anyone who has them since birth and who is selling them for less needs a better calculator

That is beside the point. It's immaterial what they cost someone bring to this stage.This year buyers have two choices. But less cattle and less fertlizer or buy the same of both as normal years.

At present fertlizer cannot be got. If it can be bought it's costing 1k/ton. Ration is heading towards 400/ton and again as the year goes on supply will be an issue.

A 400kg bull if fed for 100-120 days can be hung. Lads are willing to bet that prices will home until start of July.

By the look of it from late April on younger cattle will come under pressure. Feeding costs may be hitting 5 euro per day next winter. How will this effect the price being paid for stores. Like I said it plenty for them.

Slava Ukrainii

As someone who had his hand stuck up a cows nether regions in the early hours of winters morning to bring them into the world it certainly is not immaterial.

And it takes a plentiful supply of arrogance to suggest that it is . Hope that isn’t beside the point for you.

That is a choice that suckler farmers make. The costs of suckler systems are out of kilter with the reality of market forces. Keeping a cow to produce a calf with present costs are crazy. Even with present subsidities these calves cannot compete with dairy cattle. A 370 kg R grade continental suckler bullock will gross about 1830 in the factory at present. An O+ AA bullock killing 330 kgs about 1660 euro. You will buy AA bull calves for 150-200 euro at 3 weeks of age. The suckler bullock is being subsidised to the tune of 160-180 euro but the calf is costing 7-800 euro to get to weaning stage according to most here or maybe more.

So if I had the choice of buying an AA bullock for 650-700 euro and a Continental bullock 350kgs for 900-950 euro guess which I buy.

Slava Ukrainii

We are making progress . For the 350 kg Continental you’ve gone from 850 to 880 range up thread to 900 to 950 now .

You will go broke if you keep that up

If you look at my original post I said that 850-880 was plenty for the. I also posted that at present they are probable in the 900-1K bracket. Would I be willing to pay 9-950 no the AA at 650 is better value IMO at present. Like I said 850-880 was plenty for them

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think you'll struggle to buy goodish type CH cattle at those weights short of €1000 atm. I watched hungry outlying CHx bullocks weighing 320kg (looked to be weighing like a feather duster from the camera, my ideal stores) at €920 in a southern mart tonight. If they could be bought here in the North West at that I'd consider them good value atm.

It's dependent on what you're buying and you'd buy them back as far as €850 or there abouts at 350kg if you weren't too hung up on quality. On the other hand you could have a pen of smashers in the evening standing €1100 or more at similar weights if you weren't worried about the bottom line of the printout.

I'd be advocating putting another €100 a head on the outlay and hoping you could do the business at circa 350kg of an in between type at sub €1000. At the end of the day if he wants the stock to keep the land and payments right and doesn't want looking at lessor cattle then it won't make or break the operation either way with 8 cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

My money is on heifers to buy this year and in the fall and particularly traditional breeds like Herefords. Fatten them easy on good grass or silage and out the gap under 24 months. Granted you will have the odd one that will take Abit longer but isn't that always the case. Smaller carcass alright but not alot you can do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

High fertiliser prices will filter to huge increases in grain prices. That's inevitable. Finishing cattle off grass with minimum meal may be the most profitable going forward.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

What way are incalf sucklers going?! Let the exodus begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Going well if calving soon. Less than dry cow prices if calving later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The springer trade has strengthened well in the last month although in some cases it's still lagging behind the equivalent cull cow price. Anything of reasonable quality, young and close to calving is selling good enough. Once you go into lesser sorts, agey or a distance out from calving then you'll find them harder sold. In my opinion anything in that category was better sold through the culls and announced as "Running with bull".

There'll be no big exodus from suckler's at this point of the year imo. The majority of lad's that have struggled through with cows until this day of the year will calve them and retain as normal for the summer. The fodder they're currently eating was made last year on a different cost basis and a lot of the hard work is done for another winter. Whether or not they'll bull them again this summer is another matter and I believe that next autumn will tell the tale in a lot of cases. Yes lad's might shift culls a bit early and move on a few teams to reduce demand for grass and subsequent fertiliser and meal but they'll need stock as usual for the grazing period.

Come next autumn and possibly facing similar or higher input price's, expensive fodder, God knows what sort of a cattle trade and the prospect of another circa 6 month winter it will be a different story. It won't fully hit home until this year's bills have to be paid as to how much the job has changed from previous year's and most likely will remain changed. It's then you'll see the suckler herd taking another drastic reduction imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have a few Angus female yearlings about 320 kgs. I would like to keep them. But I gave around 4000 for two pallets of 18:6:12 today. Incase I'd be short later. I saw a few last week for around 660. Don't know what the is the best thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Most yearling Angus like that are making €2.30 - €2.50/kg in marts at the minute. So at 320kgs I’d be expecting closer to €760 than €660 if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Dairy bred? I have a pen of them aswel, normally keep till autumn but the same as you im considering taking the pressure off..I'd be happy enough with 700 ish

So would I, 280 kg, (got my weight wrong) 580 and lucky to get it. Light heifers poor today. A lot of talking about fertilizer and ration has buyers and sellers frightened

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Feck, we missed the boat so, you might still be glad to have them gone, because what way will they be in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭High bike

Disappointing price for them,what Mart was that?

Skibbereen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

4k for 2 pallets of bag manure. "Crikey" I know there's a thread running for that, hadn't been checking in there.

Advertisement