Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What distance learning are you doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hi nearly finished my MA in TESOL from the University of Birmingham. Thinking about doing a PhD after that but no idea where yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 leesabunny

hi everyone,
    is anybody doing the distance learning BA in coomunity and families in nui galway? would really appreciate any feedback as thinking about doing this course, leesa

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catherin

Hi, as far as i know this is a brand new course, by distance education anyway. Heard it advertised and sounded really interesting, but have 1 yr to finish with my BA social care still and I think that'll do me for now. Call them up, they usualy very good at discussing details if you just have query.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 leesabunny

Hi Catherin,
    thanks so much, congrats on doing the social care i did social science degree few years back in ucd so i think the course may be similar. thanks for the advice, hopefully someone may post if they doing the course !! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

Hi, I've just enrolled for a distance course with Kilroy's College, has anyone here done a course with Kilroy's College?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 racemaker

I'm starting my BSc in Psychology with OU in October, starting off with DSE212 Exploring Psychology :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

obnicc wrote: »
    Hi, I've just enrolled for a distance course with Kilroy's College, has anyone here done a course with Kilroy's College?

If it's just for interest/leisure they may be OK, but if you are about building towards a reputable qualification just check if they have any awards mapped onto the National Qualification Framework.

Out of interest what are you going to study and what is your long term plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

hey there i also just enrolled in kilroys. Book Keeping & Accounting. Any one else out there doing same thing or in same college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭budgemook

University of Aberdeen has good distance learning courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mellaine

Hi
    I am attempting to get a BA with Oscail. I have completed two out of the required 12 modules (psychology 1 and History 1)
    To be honest I found it quite difficult, I know I never reached the required word count in any of my assignments :confused:
    I do find it tough studying as well as working full time, I felt I had put alot of work in last year but my exam results although I passed, didn't exactly set the world alight.

Hand on heart I can't say that I am looking forward to next year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mosey

Hi Catherin,
    Thinking about doing the NUIG Social Care course, I like the fact that at end of yr 1/2 you have Cert/Diploma..if things get too hectic. Can you give me any idea how many hours study pw is needed? Has anyone any experience of the HCert in Arts in App Social Studies in Social Care from AIT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

mellaine wrote: »
    Hi
    I am attempting to get a BA with Oscail. I have completed two out of the required 12 modules (psychology 1 and History 1)
    To be honest I found it quite difficult, I know I never reached the required word count in any of my assignments :confused:
    I do find it tough studying as well as working full time, I felt I had put alot of work in last year but my exam results although I passed, didn't exactly set the world alight.

Hand on heart I can't say that I am looking forward to next year :(

hi mellaine,

im starting oscail in september doing literature and history. Just wondering, is the college helpful at all, if you have any quieries etc? I cant wait to get back but also im quite nervous because Im trying to figure out how im going to manage studying and then my full time job on top...:o

Hope everything works out for you this year in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

hi mellaine,

im starting oscail in september doing literature and history. Just wondering, is the college helpful at all, if you have any quieries etc? I cant wait to get back but also im quite nervous because Im trying to figure out how im going to manage studying and then my full time job on top...:o

Hope everything works out for you this year in college!

i see the syllabus is up for september 09 start. joyce's ulysses and dubliners. hamlet, ibsens (sp?) dolls house nd yeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

I'm abut to start the introduction to nursing course, honestly I'm a bit nervous, I never done the distance learning course, and from my point of view it's look like everything is doing to lies on you...Nobody for you to explain what and how, you have to fight your self! But in the other hand I'm so excited..........can wait until it's starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭smallgarden

im hoping to start postgrad in career guidance next week,just waiting on enrollment forms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Iggle

Hi all,

I have just started to study for the course above - anyone else out there doing it/has done it, feedback would be great!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 luzii

Hi all,

I am interested in picking up maybe distance or pat-time studying myself, as I can't afford full time. Do you know if the classes are ok for undergraduate as well?As I never went to college before.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,260 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Science degree in OU - Year 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

luzii wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am interested in picking up maybe distance or pat-time studying myself, as I can't afford full time. Do you know if the classes are ok for undergraduate as well?As I never went to college before.

Hi Luzii. You can do distant learning courses with the Open University if you want to get a degree. It's fully recognised in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bubblezzz

doing sna in progressive college

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Ive just started a psychology and Compulsive Behaviourial Studies course with ITEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

I'm studying for a degree in IT with Oscail. Other than the fact that I need the degree to help in my application for a residency visa in another country I would have quit this course long ago.

In my opinion the course has been designed and run by academics, not by people with technical backgrounds. There seems to be no hands on experience gained in anything other than microsoft access. I completely fail to understand the relevancy of the human sciences subjects on this course and the exams are still written exams. It's an IT course that completely fails to make use of the IT environment it tries to promote.

I have found the tutors and staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful but just the course material itself to be questionable. If I was relying on this course to prepare me for a role in IT I'd be worried.

Most third level colleges run some Distance Learning courses. Kilroys run wide range also. Other options are CMIT, Oscail (DCU), Open University, Fitzwilliam Institute..
    http://www.findacourse.ie/Distance-Learning/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nobber10

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Science degree in OU - Year 1.

I finished S104 in Oct 2009 . A super course. My tutor who has a Phd and lectures in NUI Mynooth was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Trashed

Starting a combined level 5&6 special needs teaching in feb........ really excited!!! but just wish I could find a money tree to help pay for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Durkheim

I am two modules away from finishing :rolleyes:an Oscail degree in sociology, I can't wait to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 allimac19

I am considering doing a distance course in Business Administration and I was wondering is anyone doing such a course at the moment. I would really appreciate any feedback on how you find the course etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cuchallinn

I'm doing business admin as part of a business course with the IPA as distance learning if that's of any help.

Hard to do alone due to lack of people to bounce ideas off etc but doable. Requires will power and a distraction free environment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brian_83

Has anyone ever considered attending various conferences to learn more about the subject they are interested in? I've gone to few lately and I probably learned more than I did in the first 2 years of college! And there are loads of free ones too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Brian_83 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever considered attending various conferences to learn more about the subject they are interested in? I've gone to few lately and I probably learned more than I did in the first 2 years of college! And there are loads of free ones too!

I'm three modules into a Masters in Museum Studies. I tend to go to seminars and things when I can. Great for talking to people who have been in the field for years and have lost all of the illusions of youth!

I'm hoping to save up the money to go to the Museum Association conference in October/November

Advertisement