Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farm insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

orm0nd wrote: »
    Di you get one the free holidays from them ? , as you seem hell bent of defending them inspite of they ripping off the people that supported them for decades.

There are lots of instances where FBD cover is inferior and don't deny it. If you do then you havn't done much research with other companies.

Ther were 40% over , when I left them. (that was after almost 45 years with very little claims)

No agenda at all but if they'd feel like giving me one I'd gladly take it. My wife worked for a broker for 11 years selling farm insurance against them. I made a valid point in my first post in this thread as to why FBD quote higher. I gave a lot of years with Hibernian (Aviva) and they were very same. If your happy with who your with good for you. I don't see the constant need for bashing FBD when there are plenty of happy customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mulumpy wrote: »
    No agenda at all but if they'd feel like giving me one I'd gladly take it. My wife worked for a broker for 11 years selling farm insurance against them. I made a valid point in my first post in this thread as to why FBD quote higher. I gave a lot of years with Hibernian (Aviva) and they were very same. If your happy with who your with good for you. I don't see the constant need for bashing FBD when there are plenty of happy customers.

Up until about 8-10 years ago FBD had the farm insurance market to itself. When it came under financial pressure after making serious losses on the low cast car insurance market and it was caught with the wrong asset portfolio when insurance regulation changed it drove up costs to farmers. First Aviva entered the market followed by Liberty insurance. Then Zurich and now AXA have entered the market. Aviva was pushing it prices up towards the FBD prices before the entrance of Zurich and AXA.

Most farm policy pricing is done by staff as opposed to computer systems. It often entails a farm visit by the staff pricing the product. If you fail engage and be willing to move they will not competitively price your product making it easier for FBD to match. When i moved from FBD originally 8+ years ago they offered to come within about 200 euro of the Aviva product, the following year it was 150 euro. Zurich beat Aviva by about 33% the year before last for an over 500 euro saving. You have to actively engage with the other party to gain the maximum savings.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I packed it I. With fbd 2 years ago and that’s after 10 years plus on my own and I reckon a lifetime of my parents with them they became uncompetitve and absolutely no reward for loyalty .i had no claims etc .decided to price around and went with Zurich through a broker the quote I got there for my farm ,house tractor and Jeep insurance was 850 quid cheaper even after ifa discount .gave Fbd a chance to match which they did ,still 700 out and told that was as low as they could go.after years of loyal service and been taken for a ride I left ,interestingly about a week after my fbd policy lapsed they rang me wanting to know when I was comming in to renew my policies ,told them I had left and had renewed everything elsewhere with same and in parts better cover and also 700 better than there best quote ,got ratty with me then asking why I hadn’t came back ,I said I did I asked for yer best offer and that I’d only ask once .700 quid is 700 quid so that’s why I left ,was then informed that if I rang and told them they would of matched it .this just pissed me off that after years of both mine and parents loyalty we were been robbed ,i asked for there lowest quote and what they gave me was a mile out .renewed with Zurich again last year policy was same despite 2 new buildings added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've told my story here before. I rang FBD to run over my insurance and they came out and went through my cover with me. I told them I wanted full storm cover and never questioned the price or anything else. They gave me a quote and I wrote the cheque there and then.

Then the storm came and took two sheds, killed an animal and badly injured another one and caused a lot of damage to other sheds as well. I wasn't worried because I was after paying for full cover, thank God.

Turns out they vastly under quoted me for the valuations on my buildings, the damage to other sheds and my cover on cattle being harmed during the storm. It took me months to get a half decent level of compensation off them and that was only after using every possible avenue of appeal that I got the compensation off them.

I'm sure there are many satisfied customers of FBD out there but I am not one of them and will be avoiding them like the plague in future.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I packed it I. With fbd 2 years ago and that’s after 10 years plus on my own and I reckon a lifetime of my parents with them they became uncompetitve and absolutely no reward for loyalty .i had no claims etc .decided to price around and went with Zurich through a broker the quote I got there for my farm ,house tractor and Jeep insurance was 850 quid cheaper even after ifa discount .gave Fbd a chance to match which they did ,still 700 out and told that was as low as they could go.after years of loyal service and been taken for a ride I left ,interestingly about a week after my fbd policy lapsed they rang me wanting to know when I was comming in to renew my policies ,told them I had left and had renewed everything elsewhere with same and in parts better cover and also 700 better than there best quote ,got ratty with me then asking why I hadn’t came back ,I said I did I asked for yer best offer and that I’d only ask once .700 quid is 700 quid so that’s why I left ,was then informed that if I rang and told them they would of matched it .this just pissed me off that after years of both mine and parents loyalty we were been robbed ,i asked for there lowest quote and what they gave me was a mile out .renewed with Zurich again last year policy was same despite 2 new buildings added

Good for you Mahoney. Do you have a separate policy number for each item you have with them?

• Advertisement

Good for you Mahoney. Do you have a separate policy number for each item you have with them?

Why would you need a separate policy number. Never got one from FBD either. The two tractors are on a separate policy's never checked the numbers but House, farm and stock are on the one policy. but it is all detailed on the policy.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yep all sheds separate and own value tractor ditto Jeep ditto,stock values ,mower ,theft public liability ,brocker came out last year again for quick look at everything and made some adjustments ,renewing again mid October and he’ll come out again ,if axa came close I wouldn’t rule out switching ,there’s no reward for loyalty

Why would you need a separate policy number. Never got one from FBD either. The two tractors are on a separate policy's never checked the numbers but House, farm and stock are on the one policy. but it is all detailed on the policy.

Because if you have everything on one policy and have a claim your renewal will climb dramatically.

Because if you have everything on one policy and have a claim your renewal will climb dramatically.

I have had two claims over the last ten years, a claim for storm cover on a shed who's roof was blown off and for a fire on a tractor. Neither influenced the renewal prices. As well neither stop you moving companies as long as claims are settled. Commercial insurance is not like car insurance by its nature you may have claims. Even nowadays people claim because the cost of repairs are large and most have bonus protection on car insurance.

There was a reason that Aviva, Zurich and AXA entered the market there must be good profit levels even when you price cheaper than FBD. Its is not like car insurance where you see fly by night companies like Setanta that appeared and disappeared. The companies that entered now are reputable top league companies and all larger than FBD

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I have had two claims over the last ten years, a claim for storm cover on a shed who's roof was blown off and for a fire on a tractor. Neither influenced the renewal prices. As well neither stop you moving companies as long as claims are settled. Commercial insurance is not like car insurance by its nature you may have claims. Even nowadays people claim because the cost of repairs are large and most have bonus protection on car insurance.

There was a reason that Aviva, Zurich and AXA entered the market there must be good profit levels even when you price cheaper than FBD. Its is not like car insurance where you see fly by night companies like Setanta that appeared and disappeared. The companies that entered now are reputable top league companies and all larger than FBD

I think you still have to remain with the company for 3 years after an insurance claim, unless that's been changed in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

For yrs people stayed loyal to fbd cause they were great to "pay out" if you claimed.the older generations took that hook,line and sinker.in my book anyway its loyalty to my pocket,not fbd.haven't been with them in yrs.gougers

I think you still have to remain with the company for 3 years after an insurance claim, unless that's been changed in the last few years.

No I moved with in 8 months of one claim happening as it was settled. Such a rule might well be decided to be anti competitive if it was common across commercial insurances. It is more a rule in car insurances where companies ask you have you a claim in the last 3 years. But even then I have seen people able to move if claim is settle and relatively small.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was in the mart on Tuesday of last week. Axa had a stand there and I gave them my phone number and my dads and my renewal date. Neither of us got a call. Had a similar experience last year with them. Anyone else have the same problem with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was in the mart on Tuesday of last week. Axa had a stand there and I gave them my phone number and my dads and my renewal date. Neither of us got a call. Had a similar experience last year with them. Anyone else have the same problem with them

gave them my number at the mart last march and they rang about a month b4 my renewal date,

long story short we changed to them as they were a good bit better than Zurich who increased a fair bit this year.

they do seem to be a bit understaffed but we found all the reps very efficient and courteous and not too pushy

I think in all we spent maybe an hour on the phone over the course of 3 calls .

certs and discs and policy document were dispatched promptly.

Stayed with fbd. As axa didnt bother to ring me back. Paying 400 less than last year with new shed, new feeder and cattle trailer on policy. Young lads car premium came down by 800 on last year but its still crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Stayed with fbd. As axa didnt bother to ring me back. Paying 400 less than last year with new shed, new feeder and cattle trailer on policy. Young lads car premium came down by 800 on last year but its still crazy

Were the premiums just cheaper this year or did to have a price comparison to get a lower price off FBD.

jntsnk wrote: »
    Were the premiums just cheaper this year or did to have a price comparison to get a lower price off FBD.

I didnt have a price comparison. They have upped their cover in a good few areas now. I believe they are back being competitive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I didnt have a price comparison. They have upped their cover in a good few areas now. I believe they are back being competitive now.

My farm insurance renewal from FBD arrived this morning.....I can’t remember how much it was last year, but to me there seems to be a big increase on last years premium.....
    No claims in the meantime

hopeso wrote: »
    My farm insurance renewal from FBD arrived this morning.....I can’t remember how much it was last year, but to me there seems to be a big increase on last years premium.....
    No claims in the meantime

No one pays what the renewal comes in at. There's always a discount when you ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Same story as other posters, parents with FBD for decades and I nearly 10 since taking over. I had everything with them, house, car, Jeep, farm, tractors, machinery etc. EVERYTHING. All vehicles have glass cover and every 12-24 months I'd have a glass claim of some sort, but the cost of the claim is only a fraction of the initial outlay. And never got as much as a free pen to sign the policies. The agent would come every year to go thru covers and knock a few euro off but the last few years I felt I was paying too much so when FBD's renewal arrived this year I knew they were taking the piss. I took the policies to another company and broker for them to quote.
    A few days before the renewal date FBD rang to remind me, I told the girl to give me FBDs best and last quote. She asked if I wanted to make an appointment for the agent to call out told her he knows what I have and what I want and he can do at his own desk what he does at my table without holding me up. Within an hour she was back(our agent wasn't bothered to call me) and had knocked €800 off, from 6400 to 5600, and that was the best they could do. Told her what I could get it for and said goodbye. I went with Zurich, they upped the cover on the sheds and committed to not rise the farm insurance next year. Got it for €4400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'm with McCarthy insurance group. They are a broker. I think people are over insuring there farm buildings. They might lose a few sheets of iron, but why insure for say 60 - 80k. The Gale will hardly take the slatts.

I'm with McCarthy insurance group. They are a broker. I think people are over insuring there farm buildings. They might lose a few sheets of iron, but why insure for say 60 - 80k. The Gale will hardly take the slatts.

Insurance companies factor in that damage to things like slats it tanks is unlikely to happen. You have to insure to the replacement value of the entire shed or else if you have a claom it is null and void

Slava Ukrainii

I'd prefer to be over insured than under insured. It's not much of a difference in premium tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I'd prefer to be over insured than under insured. It's not much of a difference in premium tbh

Very important to have high values on the livestock as well. It costs very little extra but could mean a big difference in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurance companies factor in that damage to things like slats it tanks is unlikely to happen. You have to insure to the replacement value of the entire shed or else if you have a claom it is null and void

You are almost right. If you under insure on the full rebuilding cost , you will only get a partial settlement, it is not null and void.

As an example, if a shed would cost €50k to rebuild and you insure it for €25k (half), you will only get half of anything you claim for. eg. €10k worth of damage, you will get €5k less your policy excess

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

FBD pay a percentage of the claim if you're underinsured, ie if you're underinsured by 25% they'll deduct 25% off your claim, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

wrangler wrote:
    FBD pay a percentage of the claim if you're underinsured, ie if you're underinsured by 25% they'll deduct 25% off your claim, which is fair enough.

All insurers are the same. It's the "Average Clause", though the name doesn't ideally describe it

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

The problem with keeping the value of anything lower, (when insuring), than its real worth is that if you have a claim you will only be paid a fraction.
    For example if your sheds are worth €60,000 and you insured them for €30,000, you are only covered for half their worth.
    If you have a claim for say €20,000 you will only get paid €10,000.

It is important to put the correct value on whatever you intent insuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

With Axa the past year and just renewed with them last week for the next 12 months via a Broker.

Was with FBD previously and found them to be getting very expensive. Before I changed to Axa, the quote from FBD did not include the 2 tractors as they want to do them as a seperate Policy. Axa's quote was a few hundred cheaper and included the 2 tractors.

So jump back to last week, FBD Rep called to the house as the obv knew the Policy was coming around for renewal, funnily enuf this time, they could do the farm and all thats needed there liability wise etc, house, cattle trailer + 2 tractors for less than the quote they gave me 12 months previously (which didnt include tractors) BUT Axa was still 50e cheaper at the end of the day. However the broker did say that the initial quote this year from Axa was a couple of hundred more expensive but the Broker worked out a discount with them (seemingly which brought it down).

1 thing the FBD Rep did say to me tho was to NEVER insure the car or jeep on the same policy as the farm policy cos in the event of an accident the no claims bonus would be lost for everything essentially. Always keep the car/jeep/farm vehicle seperate no matter who you go with were the words used....its a minefield when it comes to insurance, so many finer details that are hard to think of when getting quotes.

• Advertisement

So I had a missed call from an axa rep this evening. I specifically told them my renewal date was 31st of Oct when I spoke with them in the mart about 5 weeks ago

Advertisement