Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doorman abuse

• 21-10-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine was assaulted by a doorman in a regular haunt on Saturday, wrist twist behind the back, thrown against the bar and glasses, New jacket ripped

Went to garda report it, said can't take interview now as to drunk (4 pints) but fair enough. He will be back on duty on Thursday to take the interview, bar said don't worry the video will be wiped in the morning
    This guy is 5 foot nothing and not a pick on him and wouldnt say boo to a goose, no excuse for such violence

What's the recommended action here?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fritzelly wrote: »
    Friend of mine was assaulted by a doorman in a regular haunt on Saturday, wrist twist behind the back, thrown against the bar and glasses, New jacket ripped

Went to garda report it, said can't take interview now as to drunk (4 pints) but fair enough. He will be back on duty on Thursday to take the interview, bar said don't worry the video will be wiped in the morning
    This guy is 5 foot nothing and not a pick on him and wouldnt say boo to a goose, no excuse for such violence

What's the recommended action here?

Yeah cause all drunks are peaceful and docile. Sounds like your friend was removed from the premises for been drunk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

M0D
    Your friend should consult a solicitor.
    Subject to rule on legal advice will leave open for general comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What’s the other half of the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Take yer scolding and move on.

Everyone just wants to sue these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What’s the other half of the story?

No other half, left him 5 mins earlier to get food while he finished his drink
    Take the smart Alec comments elsewhere thank you

• Advertisement

And what happened in those 5 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And what happened in those 5 minutes?

Unless you have something to answer my question stay out of it, didn't ask for your personal opinions on nothing you know about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

Unless you have something to answer my question stay out of it, didn't ask for your personal opinions on nothing you know about

Well, in fairness you weren’t present for the alleged assault so it’s all heresay. Unless there is cctv to prove your mates case it’s going nowhere I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

GDPR request cctv footage and see what happened. Talk to a solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Did you speak with the manager and explain what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

actually, thats precisely what you asked for

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Did your mate take this attitude with the bouncer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get the video, don't expect the guards to do it. Then decide if you want to make a statement. It may not be related to the night in question and could be something that happened previously.
    I'd take it on the chin and approach the owner/manager and straighten things out.

Well it would appear that you know nothing about it either, but asking for personal opinions is exactly what you did.

And I haven’t offered any, I just asked questions to better understand the facts. Questions you seem unable or unwilling to answer, why is that?

Until you tell people then it’s difficult to offer advice on what to do next.

how did yr friend come to the bouncer attn OP, and how did it escalate from there?

any info you could provide would assist greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

About 2 years ago, I was in a local bar in my home town. I was not drinking as I was with my father and he's friend who both needed a lift home. They had been there sense 7-8pm, I arrived around 10:30-11pm. After sitting at their table for a few minutes upon arrival, I went up to the bar to order a lucozade. On the way up I tripped on a step. I have dyspraxia so balance is not the best but I didn't hit the floor. I regained my balance after falling forward a few steps. When I got to the bar the door man came up from behind me as just grabbed me in the middle of making my order. Dragged me outside and said to go home and sober up. My dad came out and intervened and explained to the doorman about my condition. He didn't want to listen to any of it. I didn't bother trying to agure because I knew it would like aguring with a wall and they have to protect the business from incidents that could lead to a claim etc.

I just waited in the car for my dad and his friend to finish their drink and I have not given that establishment my business sense.

All that being said, over the years I've never witnessed anyone been kicked out from a bar from absolutely no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

So your friend was sitting quiet in a corner just drinking the last if his fourth pint when a bouncer decided to attach him and kick him out?

For no reason other than he decided to do so?

There's absolute no other side to the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

AFAIK they won't show you any CCTV (and aren't obliged to either, gdpr is nothing to do with it) without a warrant from the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

SusieBlue wrote: »
    AFAIK they won't show you any CCTV (and aren't obliged to either, gdpr is nothing to do with it) without a warrant from the Gardaí.

As I understand it, if a business/whatever has you on their CCTV, you can request a copy of it. This predates GDPR; happy to be corrected on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

El Tarangu wrote: »
    As I understand it, if a business/whatever has you on their CCTV, you can request a copy of it. This predates GDPR; happy to be corrected on this.

You'd be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

El Tarangu wrote: »
    listermint wrote: »
    You'd be wrong.
    From the DPC: https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/guidance-use-cctv-data-controllers
    Providing Access to CCTV to Data Subjects
    Data protection law provides for a right of access to their personal data by individuals. This applies to any individual whose identifiable image has been recorded by a CCTV system. When a data controller receives a request from an individual to access CCTV data, they must normally respond within one month.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

listermint wrote: »
    You'd be wrong.

https://www.traceysolicitors.ie/en/data-access-request/

Not the actual legislation, but enough to suggest I might not have been completely 'wrong'.

Edit: ah, 28064212 got there ahead of me (and indeed with a better link)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

Well it would appear that you know nothing about it either, but asking for personal opinions is exactly what you did.

And I haven’t offered any, I just asked questions to better understand the facts. Questions you seem unable or unwilling to answer, why is that?

Until you tell people then it’s difficult to offer advice on what to do next.

I don't see any request in the OP for personal opinions on the OP's friend's innocence.

Loads of super sleuths on here that have already confirmed the cause of the incident.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

These threads are simply a waste of time OP, go to a solicitor if your friend feels strongly enough about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

op are you sure it wasnt you who pissed the bouncer off and ran away letting your friend take the brunt of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

If you request CCTV from any business that has images of you that are identifiable they are obliged to provide them to you. Other people will be blurred out in the images but if it shows the OP mate doing nothing wrong and the bouncer assaulting him as he says then I am sure it would be useful to his mate.

GDPR states ‘Any person whose image is recorded on a CCTV system has a right to seek and be supplied with a copy of their own personal data from the footage.’

So, anyone who is captured by your CCTV cameras has the right to request that footage, it is seen as personal data. They must follow a procedure, but are perfectly within their rights. If any other individuals are visible in the footage, there needs to a footage redaction service provided i.e. blur out the faces of other individuals.

Advertisement