Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why be good?

Options
  • 07-07-2020 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

What do you think is the point in being a good person? Is there any reward in trying to do the right thing, often with detrimental consequences to yourself? How does it make sense to you?

Why should I do the right thing? 142 votes

It makes me happy.
    63% 90 votes
    If we didn't, society would disintegrate.
    11% 17 votes
    Because God wants me to be kind to others.
    23% 33 votes
    Ultimately, I benefit from it.
    1% 2 votes

Comments

Option three on the poll is null and eternal void.

Don't think too much in terms of consequences. Have a conscience, and follow it. 'Follow your conscience, and you'll never go wrong' -- that was the best advice I've ever gotten. Material consequences will often align with your own standards, but are sometimes a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

1, 2 and, partly, 3. Anyone with empathy should feel good by doing something good for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Because if you are a bad person, others can get hurt.

Sometimes doing the ‘right thing’ does have negative consequences that is true.

You need to be a good judge of who you let into your life, who you work with / for. Who you go out of your way for... if it’s all ‘one way’ you need to change the light to red. As far as that person is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A peaceful mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Because most right thinking people would like to be also treated in a decent manner and those brought up in a decent way aspire to also be decent.

Is there any reward in doing the right thing? from personal experience often not but it's important you at least try to; you will never be universally popular by trying to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

To be honest OP, if you have to ask that question there's probably something not quite right.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

It really boils down to how much **** you can bear on your conscience.I will give a view into my own experiences.In my twenties I involved myself with a certain Mc in the US.I was expected to do certain activities that bolstered the club,but ran against what I felt.but I did it anyways.Over time you just become numb to it.And at some point you convince yourself your in the right.

Even when you spend 7 years in a Fed prison.But as I get older,all those things I did weigh heavier and heavier on my mind.To the point I use alcohol and drugs to numb it.And what is more ****ed up is I still feel a loyalty to it.I'm still a member and still ****ed up.

So be the good guy,even if only for yourself and your family,friends.And I know Im the worst one to take addvice from.But I come from somewhere you never want to be.

In saying all that,let the piss taking begin!

"Good" isn't a word I would use too often to describe myself or others because I think its subjective. I have my own standards for living and do my best to meet them. Certainly there are things I do and have done that would raise an eyebrow or 6.

What is a "good" person?

I wanna ma mama proud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

What do you think is the point in being a good person? Is there any reward in trying to do the right thing, often with detrimental consequences to yourself? How does it make sense to you?

I tend to be neutral to people neither good nor bad to them but if they tend to be good to me then I'll go out of my way to return the favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I wanna ma mama proud.

I am child , I am ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There's no "God" so take that option out.

Anyways, being nice to people, and asking people for small favours giving them the chance to be nice to you are the easiest ways to get by in life. You don't have to be a walkover or give up that promotion, but you can be a good person and reap the rewards of positive interactions every day.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Why?

What's wrong with people who have faith?

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Prove that theres no God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PonchoMcHoncho

Missing an option: Because I'm not a dickhead

Why?

What's wrong with people who have faith?

:confused:

Faith? You mean believing in something that does not exist. Easier if you say it that way. Reveals it all for the swindle that it is.
    Cupatae wrote: »
    Prove that theres no God

Prove I'm not "God".

One of these days the sun will swell up and engulf the planet.

• Advertisement

I have no time whatsoever for option 3. The poll is not multiple choice though as I would have picked 1 2 and 4. I also notice the things I do that are "good" are things that cause me to skill up - learn - or grow as a person. The things I do that I look back on and regret were always the "easy" things that required no personal growth or attainments to achieve. So I guess the things I do that are "good" - such as they are as I am not saint - are ways to make me grow as a person to the best version of me I can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Option three on the poll is null and eternal void.

If you ever say that to me again I’ll put your head through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    If you ever say that to me again I’ll put your head through the wall.

Jesus? Is that you?

Faith? You mean believing in something that does not exist. Easier if you say it that way. Reveals it all for the swindle that it is.

Prove I'm not "God".

Oh right. That's tolerance. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely if you select option 3 you are not actually good but only being good because someone ( "god") is watching you?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

The suffering of other creatures (including humans) is unpleasant to me. Therefore, I try to behave in a way that avoids causing suffering to others.

I also want to be able to look back at the end of my life and feel satisfied with not only my life but how I have treated others. That the sum of my actions have had a positive rather than negative impact on the world.

It doesn't really fit with any of the poll options though. Being tolerant to someone who's being an an asshole doesn't make me happy, exactly. It's still my preferred course of action.

Oh right. That's tolerance. :rolleyes:

It's nothing to do with "tolerance".

Although while we are on the subject of "tolerance", why don't you tolerate my opinion?

Nothing like self-proclaimed religious people for hypocrisy.

It's nothing to do with "tolerance".

Although while we are on the subject of "tolerance", why don't you tolerate my opinion?

Nothing like self-proclaimed religious people for hypocrisy.

I'm not religious, never said I was.

I respect the fact you, like I, are not religious but I don't respect your lack of respect, tolerance if you will, for people of faith.

There is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Option 4 there’s enough assholes in the world, don’t be an asshole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's enough arseholes in the world within me joining their ranks, empathy and basic decency.

I can still be a cnut at times though, but that's the human condition.

Advertisement