Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old chain

Options
  • 31-03-2020 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi all. I found this chain under roots of a fallen tree at a lake shore.. how old could it be..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

vertico wrote: »
    Hi all. I found this chain under roots of a fallen tree at a lake shore.. how old could it be..

Here are some pictures

Here are some pictures

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Impossible to say. If you wanted to see what is beneath the rust, the only option is to get it x-rayed.
    Other than that, the only thing that can be said with certainty is that the iron object is earlier than the tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are those the correct photos?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you look at the first of the second two photos, you can see one of the links. looks like it's rusted into one large plate like object.

Victor wrote: »
    Are those the correct photos?

Yes

if you look at the first of the second two photos, you can see one of the links. looks like it's rusted into one large plate like object.

You can also see a larger hook on the end of the chain..straight across from where I found it is an island with an old church..I think the church dates back to the 1200s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

first impression when I saw it was that it is a dray horse tackling chain.

stay_chain_installed_1.jpg

I could be wrong, just a feeling.

Advertisement