Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Traditions

Options
  • 17-11-2015 12:53pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have you noticed any things that have/are becoming a regular Christmas Tradition?

One example I can think of is the John Lewis Christmas ads, it's a big annual event now even though the first John Lewis Christmas ad only aired in 2007 it feels like their Christmas ads have been around much longer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

12 Pubs Of Christmas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

12 Pubs Of Christmas

Oh yes! That's a good one, we're planning our 7th annual one this year so that is very much a new tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Christmas films being shown in cinemas. (And elsewhere!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Christmas films being shown in cinemas. (And elsewhere!)

As in classic films being reshown at Christmas time?

Loughc wrote: »
    As in classic films being reshown at Christmas time?

Yep.

• Advertisement

Christmas FM is definitely a new tradition that many people wouldn't be without.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Oh yes! That's a good one, we're planning our 7th annual one this year so that is very much a new tradition.

Yes newer than your John Lewis ad then.

Christmas FM is definitely a new tradition that many people wouldn't be without.

Interesting fact ChristmasFM first launched in 2008.

Interesting fact ChristmasFM first launched in 2008.

Lies. I didn't listen to it then, therefore it didn't exist. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Elf on the shelf has really taken off this year. Think its partially due to the fairy door craze :)

• Advertisement

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Elf on the shelf has really taken off this year. Think its partially due to the fairy door craze :)

Oh yes that's a good one!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Elf on the Shelf: Training our kids for the police-state they will eventually live in :p

The Christmas markets around the place are definitely new to Ireland. I adore them.

Oh yes that's a good one!

There was actually a pop up stall or should I say adoption centre in the white water where you can get your elf ! :o
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    Elf on the Shelf: Training our kids for the police-state they will eventually live in :p

The Christmas markets around the place are definitely new to Ireland. I adore them.

Ha the day I wake up to find the police have hung up everyones underwear on trees while they were asleep is the day i will definitely panic :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    There was actually a pop up stall or should I say adoption centre in the white water where you can get your elf ! :o

Ha the day I wake up to find the police have hung up everyones underwear on trees while they were asleep is the day i will definitely panic :D

Haha. He actually sounds like a bit of craic. I thought he was like Santy's Robin, eyes everywhere, reporting misdemeanours back to the big man with the list.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Haha. He actually sounds like a bit of craic. I thought he was like Santy's Robin, eyes everywhere, reporting misdemeanours back to the big man with the list.

Oh no! He's the gift that keeps giving. He can keep an eye on the kids as you mentioned and give them warnings about rooms not been clean etc. Bet generally your elf has its own "personality " ( depending on the parents creativity ). For instance some elves can be naughty and play tricks like hide things or make a mess at night or he can be nice and leave a new film or a family treat for them and the kids have to find him in the morning and see what he got up to.

When the kids out grow the elf he becomes a rather twisted little perv who likes to party with barbie and get really drunk and adult elf on the shelf starts !

Or my personal favourite .. yes I will be using my little elf for many years to come. A great investment IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Christmas 24 (TV Movies)

From 2009, Movies 24 has rebranded as Christmas 24 between November and January, offering viewers movies that remind people that Christmas is a time of wonder, magic, family, love and togetherness.

Soap and Glory and No7 gifts sets at half price in Boots. It's definitely tradition now for a lot of people to buy one or both of them in the couple of weeks before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Christmas jumpers, despite the tackiness of them, have become a real trend at Christmas time.

Everyone has at least one from Penneys somewhere from the last few years.

Advertisement