Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Songs about dolmens/stone circles

Options
  • 17-08-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

As the title suggests, this is a bit of an odd one in here, but I thought it the best place to ask as it's a bit too subject specific for the music section. Hopefully the regulars here will be aware of any folk songs, preferably Irish, which are either about dolmens or stone circles or just mention them in some way. I'm looking at the possibility of creating a slideshow and I'm looking for relevant and appropriate music.

The preference would be not to be drawn into the inevitable use of the stereotyped 'Oirish atmospheric' slow air harp or fiddle tunes that so often accompany such presentations, so a little bit of relevant song would be most welcome.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

DamoRed wrote: »
    As the title suggests, this is a bit of an odd one in here, but I thought it the best place to ask as it's a bit too subject specific for the music section. Hopefully the regulars here will be aware of any folk songs, preferably Irish, which are either about dolmens or stone circles or just mention them in some way. I'm looking at the possibility of creating a slideshow and I'm looking for relevant and appropriate music.

The preference would be not to be drawn into the inevitable use of the stereotyped 'Oirish atmospheric' slow air harp or fiddle tunes that so often accompany such presentations, so a little bit of relevant song would be most welcome.

Thank you
    Can't think of any off hand, but I know someone who might.

I wouldn't write off all traditional Irish music as 'Oirish'. There's plenty of haunting stuff that would go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Thanks for the response, Slowburner. I would very much appreciate if you have someone in mind who might be able to help.

I would never write off everything off as such. There is a need, I feel, to have a bit more variety in the styles of music used rather than solely the 'haunting Celtic' style which will of course be used, but in suitably appropriate passages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kicking Bird

Thank you

Hi DamoRed,

I'm not sure if something like Clannad's music is a bit too naff for your project,but I've attached below a tune of theirs called 'Newgrange'.Another tune of theirs that comes to mind is 'Banba Óir' and it's 'as gaeilge'.

If I can think of anything else,I'll get back to you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fI5XrjbSDpw

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

:D

On more serious 'note'....;)

Not songs, so much, but Galway Flutist Vincent Broderick did compose a collection called 'The Turoe Stone', inspired by a megalith in Bullaun, County Galway.

http://thesession.org/recordings/1815

• Advertisement

Thank you, Kicking Bird and Endacl. The notion of using some Spinal Tap for a bit of drama and change of pace really appeals. Nothing worse than having a presentation going at the same monotonous sedate pace and using the same clichéd music all the time. Give 'em a little shake up, I say!

As a result of this search, I've become aware of Clannad's Newgrange, but not of Banba Óir, so thank you for that. Again, it's a slight shift, this time with the language. The tunes from Vincent Broderick add another change of style that helps hold the interest.

I've since discovered some suitable poetry on Voicesfromthedawn.com which can also be included.

Keep the ideas coming.

Keep the ideas coming.
    Actually, that site I linked you to with the Vincent Broderick stuff is teeming with traditional music bores enthusiasts who just love to show of what they know. If there's info to be found on the kind of music you're looking for, that's probably a good place to ask...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

endacl wrote: »
    :D

I have contacted the relevant authorities on the discovery of these ancient monuments.

Hahaha... The lads and lassies in Ballinspittle will be getting fidgety

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

There's a lovely tune called the Fort of the Fairy QueenLois Na Banríona/, written by Nollaig Casey I think (so not an ancient tune !), but I like it played by Laurence Nugent on the album Two for two. That's flute, it's a trad album but this tune is very close to classical music.

Also Dougie MacLean mentions circle of stones in the song Rescue Me, I bet he has some other songs with references to stone circles/dolmen, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. (just don't tell anyone he's not Irish ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks, Mountainsandh, more options and styles to add to the pot.

Advertisement