Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a 4x4 for hunting/shooting

• 07-11-2011 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi folks,

Im thinking of getting a 4x4. Most of what Ive been looking at is in around 2004-2007's based on my price range, only interested in Commercials. Anybody particular like or hate their 4x4?

I have looked at Troopers, Patrols, L200's, Dmax, Pajero Sports and Discoverys.

What am I using it for....suppose I should say!

It wont be used for any heavy duty work so doesnt need to pull massive loads, an occasional trailer maybe.

I want a good off roader for the bad weather (when it comes) and also for shooting. I know the L200's/Dmax etc have the larger passenger cabins and some sort of covered flat bed or canopy and the others are all internal cabin but without seats. Storage isnt really a major concern but think i will go long wheel base over short regardless so that I have the space option.

I guess all terain/off road cabability is my biggest priority...excluding a "which tyre" debate. Im ignoring Landrover Defenders (good as they are) cos they have such a high premium on them.

Thanks for your inputs! I asked on the motoring section of the boards site but I reckon the shooters will recognise my needs better!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

jh_bond wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Im thinking of getting a 4x4. Most of what Ive been looking at is in around 2004-2007's based on my price range, only interested in Commercials. Anybody particular like or hate their 4x4?

I have looked at Troopers, Patrols, L200's, Dmax, Pajero Sports and Discoverys.

Out of that list I would have a 3.1 Trooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Would you consider a Landcruiser? They're a great jeep. I don't have one myself but a farmer friend lets em use his when I go shooting. They are pretty bullet proof. A little more expensive to begin with, but from what I've experienced and hear from others they are well worth it.

If I had to buy a jeep tomorrow and had the money, hands down it would be a landcruiser.

I've only ever had bad luck with Mitsubishis so I'd be reluctant to buy another. A patrol would be a bit wide for shooting in some of the places where I go, but your permissions might be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jh_bond

Hibiron,

Yeah have thought about LandCruisers too. A friend of mine has one and you're right they are great vehicles. I opted out of them as again they are quite expensive vs others similar for same year/mileage etc....but most importantly becuase he has one...and I dont want the same :)

Cheers,

Joe

The price is very off putting, I'll agree. But a hell of a jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stoger

If you want a good jeep for off road get your self a Suzuki sj .cheep jeep and the best off roader around it will go any ware .iv had 3.1 troopers pagaro and toyotas all good jeeps but very heavy juice . Sj is cheep to buy and run I'm sorry I sold my one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

if it was me it would be a landcruiser but if you havent got the money my second choice would be a dahastu fourtrack very reliable

i would buy one for shooting only and buy somthing for everyday use :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

I drive a Nissan Navara Frontier 3Ltr year is 06 and before anyone says they only come in 2.5Ltr my one is from Aisa / Austraila it has a Canopy and when full € 70.00 at todays prices I get 600 kms I use it for driving to Dublin each day to work and then shooting in Kildare I have just got a Springer and she hop's into the back no problem they can be a bit heavy on the Diesel but depends if you drive them hard you may not get the 3Ltr but the 2.5Ltr are not bad parts are easy to get and my one pulls like a train no problem last year in the snow if you get them serviced it will last you but it will depend on what you like to drive good luck anyway hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

How about a handy Daihatsu Fourtrak 2.7l. Very reliable! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

That's what I have.
    They're class- nearly all the farmers round here drive them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

While your intention is to use the jeep for shooting on occassion this thread is really about jeeps, uses, best value, performance, etc.

IOW it will be completely about 4x4s. On that note i'm moving to the 4x4 forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Have a friend who uses one as a dedicated shooting jeep. Hasn't had any problems since he bought it. I think he only paid a grand for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Welcome to the 4x4 etc forum if none of you have been here before. You get plenty of unbiased opinions here (and some not so unbiased ;))

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

heres my rig for the shooting hunting fishing and farming ,

Covered.jpg
    SDC11718.jpg
    SDC11719.jpg

Ezridax wrote: »
    While your intention is to use the jeep for shooting on occassion this thread is really about jeeps, uses, best value, performance, etc.

IOW it will be completely about 4x4s. On that note i'm moving to the 4x4 forum.

I originally did ask the question in the motoring section and got very little replies thats why I switched to shooting to see what others are using for their needs (which will be the same as mine)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    I drive a Nissan Navara Frontier 3Ltr year is 06 and before anyone says they only come in 2.5Ltr my one is from Aisa / Austraila it has a Canopy and when full € 70.00 at todays prices I get 600 kms I use it for driving to Dublin each day to work and then shooting in Kildare I have just got a Springer and she hop's into the back no problem they can be a bit heavy on the Diesel but depends if you drive them hard you may not get the 3Ltr but the 2.5Ltr are not bad parts are easy to get and my one pulls like a train no problem last year in the snow if you get them serviced it will last you but it will depend on what you like to drive good luck anyway hope this helps.

is that the 3L V6 diesel ? thats out in the navara in the UK now , how is it on power ? have you had any problems with it ?

Not sure about the face mask Deer Hunter....but everything else is pretty sweet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

is that the 3L V6 diesel ? thats out in the navara in the UK now , how is it on power ? have you had any problems with it ?
    No It's just a 3Ltr I have it two years and I am only putting in front and Rear Brakes next week so all I done is service it and as to power it a H##r to go

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

I have had 2 pajeros in the last 6years, the 2.5 is a bit underpowered if you're going to be towing but the 3.2 is pretty good and not too bad on diesel either.
    for off road conditions they have a 'super select' gearbox system which allows you to change from 2wd -4wd - 4wd locked diff or 4wd locked central diff. was all very handy during the snow last year even managed to pull an ESB 4x4 out of a snow drift at Kippure last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Top Dog

bdr529 wrote: »
    for off road conditions they have a 'super select' gearbox system which allows you to change from 2wd -4wd - 4wd locked diff or 4wd locked central diff.
    Close. Its 2WD (rear) - 4WD - 4WD center diff locked - 4WD low ratio ;)

And you can switch on the fly from 2wd -> 4wd -> 2wd at up to 56mph :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

OP when you actually decide what you want to do it might be easier to offer guidence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement