Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brake stuck on my ford 4600

• 01-01-2011 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

brake is well stuck on my 4600 on one side, tried to drive back and forth hoping it would release but no use

only can use first gear otherwise she cuts out, wont do the clutch any good either

any ideas guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

this may sound a bit waynes world but whip the wheel off and the drum and have a look. it wont take 10 mins. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

marlyman wrote: »
    this may sound a bit waynes world but whip the wheel off and the drum and have a look. it wont take 10 mins. ??

The 4000 has onboard brakes, so there is a certain amount of stripping involved, well more than 10 mins.... cab must be lifted and so forth.

Mind you the last time I did the brakes on a 3600 (with drums) I spent half the day belting it with a sledge before it moved.

No idea what the problem is with the OPs tractor though. Is the handbrake stuck? Are both of the rods going into the brakes moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

maidhc wrote: »
    cab must be lifted and so forth.

pooh , most of the 4600 i see have no cabs and are restored. it never dawns on me that some of these nice machines are still working .....

marlyman wrote: »
    pooh , most of the 4600 i see have no cabs and are restored. it never dawns on me that some of these nice machines are still working .....

Pet hate of mine too considering most 4000s and all 4600s were fitted with cabs originally.

I have 3, all earning their keep in style. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭kincaid

ok guys i got round to taking the wheel off but what the correct procedure for releasing the brake and keeping it free

thanks

• Advertisement

ANYONE......PLEASE

Are you sure it isn't the linkage is stuck? They have wet brakes, so if it is stuck there is probably something fundamental wrong. I'll email you an extract of the workshop manual for taking off the halfshaft and so forth if you want.

thanks guys, im home wednesday or so and will take another look at it then and go from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 th3dan

check the linkages from the pedels .take a look inside to hub to see whats up might just be over tensioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

The brakes on a 4000/4600 are as mentioned internal.

Take a look at this pic.
    tractorride2010167.jpg

Those roundy bits on the axle trumpets with the lift arm brackets are the brake housings.

So make damm sure that all the pedals and associated linkage bits are all moving nice and freely before you have to move on to working on the actual brakes as there's a pretty major amount of stripping involved to get at them.

I've not done it myself but have seen inside the back end of our 4600 a bit too much this year with another man doing the work.

• Advertisement

hi, had not much time to look at this further but did notice last time i looked that the brake pedal was now stuck too and so linkages not working

thanks all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

lash a load of wd40 on the linkages and work the pedals up and down by hand for a bit and see how you get on.

ok THANKS guys tried the above but still no luck.
    someone suggested i get it on a good concrete surface and drive it back and forth but im afraid this might cause further damage to clutch as its not that great anyway
    OR tow from another tractor and it might shift it,

what you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

had a 4600 for years but sold it on, can't ever remember brakes sticking on, but if it was mine, whip out the spanners and have em apart, oil bath brakes so must be an issue with the innards unless the linkage is siezed. If the linkage is siezed it's just a matter of lubeing and wroglling the bits till they free up. If that don't work, off with its cab and see what's up. It takes more bravery than skill.:)

mine has the big Q cab and dont really want if i can help it taking it off as dont have the means to remove it and seems like a big job hence why some guys told me to give it a tow and might loosen the brakes up but dont want to cause further damage either

Advertisement