Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

work light on truck

• 07-11-2011 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

i fitted 2 work lights on my truck on the weekend,just wondering does any1 kwn where i could wire it in2..i wired it to the radio and put a on/off switch but the light would only go on when i had the radio on ,and when i put the worklight off the radio went off...any help would be great:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Hi and welcome. Small point, no txt spk, use all the keys please! ;)

To be honest I'd find a mate who knows what they are doing, sounds like you've had no experience with auto electrics. The radio isn't the place to wire a worklight. What sort of wattage is the light, if high wattage you should use a relay. You also need the right size wire and fuse and need to either find an ignition controlled supply or permanent supply connect to, preferably at the fusebox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 celtic f.c

the wattage of the light is 24v...would i be able 2 put a cigarette plug on the end of it and just plug it into the cigarette lighter ?theres a set of beacons on the truck aswell,would it work if i hacked into the wire on them and put a switch on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Suckler

celtic f.c wrote: »
    the wattage of the light is 24v...

If you don't know the difference between wattage and volts then I'd stop what your doing and disconnect whatever you've done. It won't be long until you start a fire. Get an auto electrician to fit them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

agree with post above. here is a diagram in case you keep going at this yourself, its kind of self explainatory.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-mini-exterior/125958-wipac-spot-lights-wiring.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Suckler wrote: »
    If you don't know the difference between wattage and volts then I'd stop what your doing and disconnect whatever you've done. It won't be long until you start a fire. Get an auto electrician to fit them properly.

What he said. Definitely. Stay away from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement