Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be watching Ramadan Diaries this evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sorry won’t be watching .. will be picking up some food from the local takeaway... “A la Snackbar”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was not planning on watching TV then, but I don't care it is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bit before my time but I suppose its a catchy tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

It pays to get an insight into the cultural and religious perspectives of the people we rub shoulders with daily in our widening cosmopolitan and contemporary society.
    Will it be breaking for the Angelus at 6 or is that still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We'll have to wait for the Yom Kippur Diaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

s1ippy wrote: »
    It always really interests me to find stuff out about Ramadan from people who do it. Intermittent fasting is in many religions including Catholicism, even though most people who claim to be Catholic don't observe the fast days anymore. There is actually a lot of research done into the benefits of fasting, though the concensus is that three days is the best period of fasting for it to have benefits to one's health.

Last year around Ramadan I got a taxi home after a night out and the lad who dropped me home was Muslim. He was saying most of the taxi drivers do the night shift as they can't eat during the day, I thought it was a crafty loophole. He was also telling me about the class food they eat, gave me a recipe for Biryani I've made loads of times since.

The level of contempt in here is unfortunate but not very surprising as certain sections of Irish society are totally insulated from ever encountering people of different cultures. Fortunately the generation growing up in Ireland now represent a wide variety of races and religions. Current trends seem to show that many will be atheist or agnostic due to readily available information when they start to question the tenets of their family's tradition. There will definitely be a lot more appreciation and acceptance of people when it comes to religion in about six or seven years when the current primary school kids finish secondary school.

Good post.

However,Sticking with Ramadan prectitioners,I would not be quite so certain of the aetheist/agnostic conclusion for two reasons.

The first is the very strong and direct strictures within Islam regarding athesim and non-believers in general.
    Secondly,at a time when direct Catholic church involvement in Irish primary and secondary education is being wound-down, it is very notable that Islam wishes to retain and broaden it's involvement with schooling,particularly at primary level.

The notion of appreciation & acceptance being unidirectional appears to be widely held throughout Irish society,but it is a 2 way street,with plenty of room still left for others to join in too. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

LeYouth wrote: »
    ..........Will you be watching Ramadan Diaries this evening?.......

Will you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Odhinn wrote: »
    Will you?

Nope.

I just find it odd that RTE gives a TV slot to one portion of our society that accounts for about 1-2 percent.

If going to give it to them, why not give it to other groups as well...Jews, Hindus etc.

Nope.

I just find it odd that RTE gives a TV slot to one portion of our society that accounts for about 1-2 percent.

Seeing as it gives a daily slot at 12 noon and 6 o clock to one religion, it can hardly not.

If going to give it to them, why not give it to other groups as well...Jews, Hindus etc.

..the chief rabbi of Ireland gives a yearly address on the TV afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Why not though? Muslims live and work in, and contribute to Ireland, they should be represented on the national broadcaster. Besides, its either that or a re-run of Friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nope.

Why didn't you say that in your OP?

Not your ornery onager

I looked up the thing on the RTE player -it's a only a 2-3 minute slot. Mountains out of molehills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭jmreire

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Good post.

However,Sticking with Ramadan prectitioners,I would not be quite so certain of the aetheist/agnostic conclusion for two reasons.

The first is the very strong and direct strictures within Islam regarding athesim and non-believers in general.
    Secondly,at a time when direct Catholic church involvement in Irish primary and secondary education is being wound-down, it is very notable that Islam wishes to retain and broaden it's involvement with schooling,particularly at primary level.

The notion of appreciation & acceptance being unidirectional appears to be widely held throughout Irish society,but it is a 2 way street,with plenty of room still left for others to join in too. :)

Years ago, Irish schools were predominantly Catholic run, and of course Christianity was the majority religion thought. Now there is an increasing nr of secular schools, where religion is not on the curriculum at all.....parents who wish their children to be taught religion, have to get it taught elsewhere. It is a very optional subject at this time. In general here in Ireland, the Nr of active practicing Christian's is falling.
    Islam on the other hand, put's more importance on religious teaching than on other subjects..... for a practicing Muslin. iSLAM is his whole Life...its the most important thing that there is for him / her. So if a Muslim student is attending a school here in Ireland ( which of course, they are ) and its an non-religion teaching school, then they they are also attending an Islamic school as well. Not to be attending an Islamic school, would mean that He/She was becoming less Muslim. And of course, this is happening too. But over all, Muslims put more value and dependence on their Religion, than most other Religions.

I looked up the thing on the RTE player -it's a only a 2-3 minute slot. Mountains out of molehills.
    It's not the length of the show that's an issue for many. Was it for you?

..the chief rabbi of Ireland gives a yearly address on the TV afaik.
    Then why is there zero mention of it on the RTE website?

biko wrote: »
    It's not the length of the show that's an issue for many. Was it for you?

No, for reasons already stated. Why would it be an issue for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'm going to have a Dinner Box while watching it.

No, for reasons already stated. Why would it be an issue for you?
    But you didn't state anything..

Then why is there zero mention of it on the RTE website?

"A talk for the Jewish New Year by the Chief Rabbi of Ireland. Dr Yaakov Pearlman"
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/2000-01-01/2019-12-31?basicsearch=%2Bjewish&freesearch=jewish&retrievecountrycounts=false&sortorder=score&county=wexford%2C%20republic%20of%20ireland&page=2

But you didn't state anything..

As they already show the Angelus, twice daily 7 days a week, they can hardly not allow similar treatment for other religions.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113391535&postcount=40

Your link doesn't reveal anything. Maybe it refers to a single talk by rabbi Yaakov Pearlman who was Chief Rabbi of Ireland from September 2001 to June 2008.
    This is so rare and old it's only reported in local newspapers.
    That hardly constitute the "yearly address" that you tried to sell.
    As they already show the Angelus, twice daily 7 days a week, they can hardly not allow similar treatment for other religions.
    Sure they can, this is a Christian country.
    But yeah, we should do away with the Angulus on TV.

• Advertisement

Your link doesn't reveal anything. Maybe it refers to a single talk by rabbi Yaakov Pearlman who was Chief Rabbi of Ireland from September 2001 to June 2008.
    This is so rare and old it's only reported in local newspapers.
    That hardly constitute the "yearly address" that you tried to sell.

It's a television listing. AFAIK there was a talk every year for the Jewish new year on TV.

Sure they can, this is a Christian country.
    But yeah, we should do away with the Angulus on TV.

I'm not a christian. Secondly we are supposed to be a secular republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

OP, you are such a pathetic loser. Real beta sort of guy. That’s why trivial stuff really annoys you.

Gets under your skin and festers.

I don't understand how someone asking about a tv show has triggered such a response. What am I missing here?

The Catholic church seem to still have a nit of clout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Oh look, another racist thread. That makes it every second thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

kowloon wrote: »
    I don't understand how someone asking about a tv show has triggered such a response. What am I missing here?

The Catholic church seem to still have a nit of clout.

Mod

User can't respond so best to just move on.
    Chinasea wrote: »
    Oh look, another racist thread. That makes it every second thread.

Post something of value on topic please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod
    User can't respond so best to just move on.

No bother, just wondering if it was the poster or the programme that set it off. Is there anything special about the programme? The idea of Ramadan can't be offensive in itself to any reasonably balanced person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The idea of Ramadan can't be offensive in itself to any reasonably balanced person.

Not in the land of a 1,000 welcomes apparently though..

No bother, just wondering if it was the poster or the programme that set it off. Is there anything special about the programme? The idea of Ramadan can't be offensive in itself to any reasonably balanced person.

Judge for yourself - its not exactly militant stuff by any stretch of the imagination.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/ramadan-diaries/SI0000001399?epguid=IH000391433

That's ok, you don't have to be Christian to live here.
    The fifth amendment of the constitution actually removed from the Constitution the special position of the Catholic Church and the recognition of other named religious denominations.

And you don't have to worry.
    Current Christianity doesn't have a penalty for leaving the religion.
    Current Islam do - it's death.

Why are you guys so infatuated with such a violent religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I was of the understanding leaving the Catholic club was no longer an option.

Also very much doubt ex-muslims in Ireland face death having renounced their faith, if we are comparing like with like in this 'Christian country'

• Advertisement

That's ok, you don't have to be Christian to live here.
    The fifth amendment of the constitution actually removed from the Constitution the special position of the Catholic Church and the recognition of other named religious denominations.

I'm aware of that. However the actual removal of the real privilege of the church is a relatively recent thing, and something which is ongoing.

And you don't have to worry.
    Current Christianity doesn't have a penalty for leaving the religion.
    Current Islam do - it's death.

So you think those in those ramadan diary slots believe any who leaves the faith should be killed?

Advertisement