Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC iPlayer

• 22-08-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to get this to work from here? Their site says you need to be in the UK. Surely some way around this??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Does anyone know how to get this to work from here? Their site says you need to be in the UK. Surely some way around this??!!

Goto..

'Start' > 'Run' and type BBCIPLAYER.exe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is blocked to non UK users for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The BBC iPlayer is for UK residents only. Please do not mention or discuss ways of circumventing this, or you'll get an instant ban. Thanks...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

OP ask to have your thread moved to the 'Broadband' forum where you can ask how to get the BBC Iplayer to work from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

An instant ban is a bit much for asking how to circumvent the UK only restricitions. For example why not ban everyone in the motor forum who ask where traffic cameras are, post where mobile gatso vans are, ask about speed detectors and where to get speed camera POIs for their satnav ? Same difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Jip wrote: »
    An instant ban is a bit much for asking how to circumvent the UK only restricitions. For example why not ban everyone in the motor forum who ask where traffic cameras are, post where mobile gatso vans are, ask about speed detectors and where to get speed camera POIs for their satnav ? Same difference.

I'd say you should moan in the Feedback board.

Same difference.

Not really. This is more of a question for feedback but what's ok in one forum isn't ok in another forum even if it's the exact same topic. It's up the the forum moderators to decide what is allowed and what isn't. So while Motor forum mods may be more lax in certain areas, that doesn't mean that the same standards apply throughout the entire board.

Its not the same difference, Jip.

The issue is with illegally accessing content that was not meant for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I wouldn't have thought it is illegal to access the iplayer in Ireland if you can figure out how to?

Plus it seems a bit strange that you can head over to the broadband forum and find out how to access the iPlayer.

I understand the ban on discussing torrents etc here but I fail to se ehow accessing the iPlayer in Ireland is any different to tuning into BBC 1 if you have a big enough aerial.

Im guessing if the BBC put measures in place to prevent people from outside the UK from accessing the iplayer then they don't want non-licence paying people to eat up bandwidth that should be used by those who deserve it (i.e. the UK public).

Is it illegal to figure out how to use an iplayer outside of the UK? Probably not I'd say.
    Can you ask about it in the Television forum? No.

Different forums function in different matters. You can post something in one forum that would give you an instant site-ban that would be ok in another forum.

Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users to download or stream (Click to Play) in the UK. However, BBC Worldwide is working on an international version, which we will make available as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

Plus its in the charter, which was written long before my time. By the Elders, 35 years ago in a tribal cave somewhere in Donegal (even before the internet - thats how clever they were)
    * Don't ask where you can download/stream TV shows or give any links to them. Infact try to stay away from discussion of downloading altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

only after doin a google there for the bbc i player.

Why can we not watch stuff sure is half off our country not british.

Please don't dig up 18 month old threads.
    Start a new one if you want to ask the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement