Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dogs being stolen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Would it not be easier to use the address?

It's like that other scare story about chalked symbols denoting houses to rob. How believeable is it burglars leave an obvious clue at places to rob?

Most likely illiterate, most of them are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most likely illiterate, most of them are

Yet somehow they can use smartphones, claim dole and get benefits ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just had a quick look on donedeal and christ the price of puppies has shot up! €600 for a jack russell pup, €850 for a pug x pup that looks nothing like a pug, €1350 for 'cavachons'. Who's actually paying these prices?

No wonder dogs are being stolen for a quick buck, get caught selling drugs more than likely end up in prison, get caught selling stolen dogs at worst you might get a fine.

Stop the edjits buying overpriced and poorly bred dogs and at the same time hand down harsher sentences for handling stolen goods, i.e. dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Youd want to be a complete moron to buy a dog for what they're asking, ive never paid for a dog ive always got a pup off an unwanted litter or from the pound, we need stricter breeding laws in this country to stop the abuse of animals by these dirty scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Are boards and done deal part of the same company

Does anyone have an answer for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I think Distilled is the parent company of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Adverts & Boards are the same company and Adverts allow the sale of dogs also.

This is something that really bugs me. People just have to stop buying dogs off these websites. But they keep doing it, getting inbred dogs who have been whipped away from the mother too early or are so silly theyve no idea what dog they've bought and been sold a 'labradoodle' thats a lurcher. I am genuinely seeing these over and over. Lots of ads too on DD where these people who are buying the dogs are now trying to resell them and make their money back because they have 'gone back to work', 'just dont have time', 'landlord wont let me'.... ridiculous. Poor dogs are going to end up in rescue confused and sad.

Then tons of people getting onto rescues and arguing with them because they wont give them a dog. I follow a lot of rescues, now starting to fill up with COVID dumped dogs again after a lot of their rescues were adopted over the last few months. People arguing they are too strict and who cares if they work 8 hours a day and live in an apt - rescues are pushing me onto done deal to buy a dog etc. Yes because these 'breeders' dont give a crap about their dogs.

Its mind boggling. Its really is. The sale of dogs should be regulated - end of. Im afraid to leave my dog out in the back garden by herself even for five mins (during the day for play - not at night!) at this point because of all the thefts and its fully enclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

A woman from an 'ethnic minority' tried to steal my dog from right under my nose. I can't say more than that as it's sub judice, but yes, watch your dogs, even if you're right beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Distilled SCH are the parent company of adverts, daft and done deal.

Boards is now owned by Journal Media... Possibly distilled media which does not fall under SCH.

Although they share most of the same board etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

kg703 wrote: »
    Adverts allow the sale of dogs also.

No they don't, I regularly report ads selling dogs and they are promptly removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

anewme wrote: »
    I've looked a bit into the background on this and there are a lot of people who work tirelessly on behalf of animals throughout Ireland and they have done their research on this. It is very clear who the people are are who are the ringleaders on this dog thieving ring. They dont seem to be going out of their way to hide it and one boasted about it on Facebook. It is the lack of animal laws plus the opt out clause (I bought it off a lad in the pub for 20 pounds) that mean there is no repercussions.

In the last day I've read of an 85 year old man who cant sleep or eat without his "loyal comrade and friend" of 12 years. These dog thieves are bringing misery on people and it is a huge lucrative industry.

I believe the Gardai and UK police are also aware of who these people are and this has led to many dogs being recovered at ports etc.

However, like an ant infestation in your house, the problem wont stop until the Queen is gone, this guy need to be stopped.

I saw that post. Absolutely horrendous that an 85 year old man is suffering with this heartbreak. It’s deeply upsetting that this misery is being cast on people. It’s hard to understand how people like this have no conscience. This dog is likely the closest thing to him in life.

I know some elderly people who have plenty of family around them but their dog is what greets them in the morning and what keeps them company until they go to bed. I can’t imagine how distraught the gentleman must be but also that feeling of loneliness, that constant searching and waiting for his dog to be found. I really hope he finds his dog, he must be heartbroken.

Dogs leaving the country illegally have few repercussions for the person responsible. Penalties and enforcement should be as severe as trying to smuggle agricultural animals to deter it.All online sales should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

Is it just "designer" dogs getting robbed?

Mum found a random stone in the middle of driveway this evening.

Dog in question is a restricted breed who would make a scene if you attempted to open the gate and he didn't know you. Should she be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Finally, legislation!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Somepeople wrote: »
    Is it just "designer" dogs getting robbed?

No, I've seen so many reports spaniels, terriers, collies being stolen. Not just "designer" breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

All dogs being stolen.

Be very vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's the story on how brazen these dog nappers are? Would they try to forcefully take one off of a person out on a leashed walk, or is it just unattended dogs in front gardens for now? I suppose you might say that we don't know how depraved these people (and I use 'people' in a loose fashion) could be, but there's going to be dog owners, particularly elderly, who are too scared to take their pet out on a walk for fear a white van will pull up on a quiet bit of road and whip the dog off them with the threat of violence if resistance is made. But you have to bring the dogs out because obviously they want to go on their regular walk and they're not going to understand the threat of being stolen.

I’d be very careful about where and how regularly you walk your dog.

This type of behaviour is happening here as well as dogs are shipped via ferry between here and UK.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/urgent-warning-dog-owners-after-18620995

Certainly I would not let a young child or teenager out with a dog anywhere unpopulated. My Mum has a King Charles and is very nervous about walking him.but it's any dog, not just valuable ones.

Anyone living rurally, not safe to have dogs in driveway or gardens or unattended at all.

The Gardai know well who the ringleaders are but for whatever reason and not taking it seriously enough. It is serious organised crime and should be dealt with accordingly.

They are also sending children over to dogs in front driveways and a friendly dog goes over to a child and it’s whipped up.

I hate seeing dogs left tied up outside supermarkets and shops. Not safe at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is this bad on the north side of Dublin this is making me kinda nervous doing the daily walk with the golden retriever

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is this bad on the north side of Dublin this is making me kinda nervous doing the daily walk with the golden retriever

2 retrievers stolen in Clontarf yesterday but they got them back a few hours later, reports of vans driving around the Marino area too. I think it’s more unattended dogs but just be aware when you’re walking eg if you think you’re being followed, don’t let your dog off lead if you can’t recall it, be wary of strangers striking up conversation to distract you etc etc

biggebruv wrote: »

They were in Rush yesterday trying to steal dogs from gardens and were seen off but could be anywhere.

Just be careful not to leave dog alone and not be too predictive in your walks.

Youd know if someone is hanging around so just be mindful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Don’t want to rant on politicians or anything like that but would it be possible to bring in mandatory prison sentencing to anyone caught doing this. No court you are getting 1 year end of story. Straight to jail.
    This is seriously scummy behaviour. Facebook is littered with dogs getting robbed.
    Someone robbed a dog and it’s 5 puppies... honestly bring back the death penalty.

The cause of it is that dogs are nearly double the money to what they were a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Wouldn't be stealing em if people weren't willing to buy em! 1500 for a cocker spaniel - supply and demand. The breeding industry has been around for years and we turn a blind eye - until now.

Mandatory jail sentence.
    Education of the public on how to go about buying a pup.
    Regulations on breeding.

... might go some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have Pavee point come out to condemn this.. They've been very quiet on the whole thing despite it getting so much publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

tk123 wrote: »
    2 retrievers stolen in Clontarf yesterday but they got them back a few hours later, reports of vans driving around the Marino area too. I think it’s more unattended dogs but just be aware when you’re walking eg if you think you’re being followed, don’t let your dog off lead if you can’t recall it, be wary of strangers striking up conversation to distract you etc etc

How have these cnuts not been beaten to a pulp yet? If they tried to steal my dog, I'd do time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where do they sell these stolen dogs? What good are they if you can't move em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote:
    As a subscriber, I'm not entirely comfortable with the boards group of companies allowing ads for selling these stolen dogs on donedeal. Part of the problem.

Are boards and done deal part of the same company

Distilled Media. Boards, Adverts, Daft; Donedeal etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Vans have been seen acting suspiciously around the Killaloe, O Briens Bridge and Castleconnell areas. I wonder if it has anything to do with the 20 plus caravans that have appeared near the bog Road in Castleconnell. Anyone coming into Limerick from Birdhill will see them on the left just at the bog..

Where do they sell these stolen dogs? What good are they if you can't move em.

Brought to UK and sold to public
    Or
    Sold on to backyard breeders
    Or
    Sold to dog fighting rings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My God, this is crazy. every other post I see on fb is about a missing dog. Just saw a girl post that her 3 legged cross breed was in the middle of being taken when she caught them. A 3 legged dog isnt even safe FFS! The dogs head was soaking so she reckons they threw water on him to distract him and get the lead on him. The person taking him claimed he was actually leaving him back....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Have Pavee point come out to condemn this.. They've been very quiet on the whole thing despite it getting so much publicity

John Conners once quipped that he doesn't deserve hassle as he doesn't know where your dog is. Well, I say that even if he did know, he probably wouldn't say.

Advertisement