Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature students how did u cope?

• 26-04-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of going to college as a mature student.

I'm currently working full time and am renting also. Moving back home is not an option.

The course I'm looking into would take 5 years, full time. This is what's stopping me.

How the heck do u manage from not working full time and going back to the books?? And financially?

Haven't applied for a course and too late to do now.

Could it be as long and bad as I am imagining?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

In my university, like all I'm sure, there are Mature Students who are in all kinds of circumstances. But here are some of the main kinds I know of:

There are mature students, like me that are in receipt of Back to Education Allowance. And though I didn’t come through this route many would have worked their way up to a degree after doing different schemes like access courses or further education. As well as schemes you have to do as part of being unemployed.

For me, SUSI pays 100% of my fees too. I also have HAP (I had rent allowance for the first 2 years of my degree, I changed over as I moved house) and each term I've been getting a student hardship fund payment. So financially I have been able to manage fine. I wouldn’t be able to buy anything expensive or travel/holiday anywhere, but I can get coffees and each lunch out a few days a week so I’m happy with that. Other students may also receive other social welfare payments and funds depending on their circumstances, e.g. if they have kids.

So those in receipt of social welfare, SUSI, or similar schemes would be a good chunk of mature students. There are different scholarships, bursary and charitable supports out there too but there isn’t a lot. But people can get pits and pieces from here and there that can help with things.

Then there are lots of retired aged students who are now back doing courses that they always had a passion for, like history or history of art. Most of these I know were in traditional good jobs like banking. I know a few that aren't retired age but are 40/50 and who would similarly have been in well paid jobs that have decided now to follow passions.

Then there are those who are married, and their spouse supports them.

Then I know people who work their arses off doing jobs with part-time or even full-time hours. I know someone with two jobs for example. Many also do jobs that have unsociable hours. I know people who are hotel night porters, security guards and some that work in social care sector. I also know people who work all summer to help with the funds too. I know one person who lives and works in the midlands and does a couple of hour commute. It is very tough for them, but they are driven and its cheaper for them then moving to Dublin. Some degrees you're not in everyday, or only in for a few hours so it is possible to work along side many course. Also lot people just skip classes and work instead, I don't recommend this, it is just the reality.

One thing you should also take into consideration is if you don’t qualify for the likes of SUSI or other supports now, after first year if your circumstances change you might then qualify for the rest of your degree.

Don’t forget there are Springboard, Part-time and online degrees. But if it’s a degree that can only be don’t full time, mine is like that, then all I can really say is you have to do what you have to do to make it happen if its what you really want. Whether that’s work and study at the same time like most students do or move to a cheaper country to do it. Though moving is obviously not an option for most people. Though it's not fair and it's a hard pill to swallow the mature student experience is different and that's something one has to come to terms with.

You could also get a loan off your local credit union, or also consider banks. But I actually do know anyone who has done this at undergraduate level. I know postgrads that have. In my opinion I would not go down the loan route at undergraduate level unless you have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I've been in an ETB the last 2 years and hoping to go to Uni in September.

I've a mix of employment, 3 days a week, plus some contract work, one of which I have to be in a certain place at a certain time and the other I can mainly do from home

I used to miss Mondays, which was only 9-1, then fit work in around that.

It's hard, I'm not entitled to any grants, or SW payments.i don't have much time to myself, but if you want it hard enough you'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think colleges have a better attitude to Mature Students in recent times. Particularly at undergraduate level, if they have not had the college experience already it can be a daunting prospect.
    I have always found Mature students committed and focused and achieve good results, often they benefit from having
    "real world" experience which not only helps them but can be valuable in team projects and discussion groups.

My own experience while on a career break doing a postgraduate, I had some short term work offered to me which I couldnt turn down, since it would cover some unforseen bills, and set me up to be more comfortable for the final modules and project, One lecturer was very helpful moved me and couldnt have done more to accommodate me.
    It can be very useful for a mature student to talk to the lecturers not only the admissions staff, so as they can work around potential issues with family, childcare indeed elderly care committments

One thing with COVID - is that universities and colleges will be without a number of Foreign (fee paying) students is it may encourage them to be more proactive and seek mature students, and ideed the govenment to accommdate people who have lost jobs as a result of the pandemic.

Advertisement