Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cam, what to get and where to get it - vol. 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Ryath wrote: »
    Some deal if we did a group deal and ordered 4! Bit suspicious about the site though.

I'd jump in on that. Suction cup on my old crap cam is gone, need to replace it. Agree on the site though, doesn't fill you with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

vectra wrote: »
    I don't know anything about this site, but the dashcam is decent apparently, I was going to take a punt at buying one myself.
    https://www.cdzzhw.com/collections/game-player/products/the-4k-uhd-wide-angle-lens-dash-cam-features-a-built-in-wifi-dashboard-and-gps

are these counterfit blackvue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can't find any reviews at all and they have no contact info or address. They take paypal though so is that enough protection?

Think it's too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Cyrus wrote: »
    are these counterfit blackvue?

At $500 for the real thing definitely.
    https://www.blackvue.com/product/dr900s-2ch/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

No idea about them lads, I only came across them the other day.
    I was going to buy 4 of them .

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    No idea about them lads, I only came across them the other day.
    I was going to buy 4 of them .

I wouldn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I wouldn’t

Did you note "WAS going to" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Picked up an IRO G11 1080P Dashcam to fit the new Karoq recently. I wanted to go the stock route as much as possible and this fits the bill. Powered via the ODB port, WiFi accessible with Youmera and auto powers off if battery level gets low (under 12.4V). Very happy with the results, you can't even see it in the car and the app is a breeze. Took me just 15 minutes to install.

Price: €157 (not including customs) I'm paying for the design though, they make them for lots of car models (even Tesla) and I wanted to be able to easily undo it in future.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000256868810.html

rNfU5Ne.jpg

JESrmRG.jpg

MliFzSk.jpg

Footage:

advertsfox wrote: »
    Picked up an IRO G11 1080P Dashcam to fit the new Karoq recently. I wanted to go the stock route as much as possible and this fits the bill. Powered via the ODB port, WiFi accessible with Youmera and auto powers off if battery level gets low (under 12.4V). Very happy with the results, you can't even see it in the car and the app is a breeze. Took me just 15 minutes to install.

Price: €157 (not including customs) I'm paying for the design though, they make them for lots of car models (even Tesla) and I wanted to be able to easily undo it in future.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000256868810.html

rNfU5Ne.jpg

JESrmRG.jpg

MliFzSk.jpg

Footage:

looks good

did it take long from aliexpress? and are there issues with using OBD port (i.e. does it drain battery)

looks good

did it take long from aliexpress? and are there issues with using OBD port (i.e. does it drain battery)
    Delivery took about 12 days with DPD, customs took €69 off me too!

No issues so far, it has a setting to auto power off at a certain voltage level (11.8, 12 or 12.4v) so I have it set to 12.4v in my Karoq.

• Advertisement

No issues so far, it has a setting to auto power off at a certain voltage level (11.8, 12 or 12.4v) so I have it set to 12.4v in my Karoq.

thanks and was installation ok?

are you poweing off the ODB port, is that in the fusebox or elsewhere on the karoq?

thanks and was installation ok?

are you poweing off the ODB port, is that in the fusebox or elsewhere on the karoq?
    Very simple, they have excellent YouTube guides but it was no problem.

G11 Guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF24HiPdd5w

And yes powered from the ODB, it doesn't have a battery in the device so it uses your car battery. It varies by var but mine was just under my fuse box on the driver side. Chased the cable under roof liner, down A pillar and in through side panel past fuse box and to the ODB.

That looks great. Had you much bother taking down the old rear view mirror?

Edit - sorry I see now, it replaces part of the cover. They look a great job.

That looks great. Had you much bother taking down the old rear view mirror?

Edit - sorry I see now, it replaces part of the cover. They look a great job.
    Pretty handy, the box comes with a plastic pry tool to make it simple. Once that initial part came out, it was all clip and tuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Sounds good for my needs also but they don't seem to have a model which fits a 2013 VW Touareg :(

54and56 wrote: »
    Sounds good for my needs also but they don't seem to have a model which fits a 2013 VW Touareg :(
    Can you take a picture of where your rear view mirror is mounted please?

Can you take a picture of where your rear view mirror is mounted please?

IMG202005061737041588783358.jpg

and

IMG202005061730351588783358.jpg

Please ignore the recently smashed windscreen. I don't want to talk about it :o

Also, apologies for the size of the pictures, I don't know how to change the resolution on my very smart smart phone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I fitted the road angel halo pro, front and rear. Wired into the fuse box. No issues and quality seems to be good so far but the app isn't the best, does the job. The two cameras,wiring kit and SD card was €250. Didn't think was too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Nextbase UK are having a 25% off sale for their bank holiday weekend.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

54and56 wrote: »
    Please ignore the recently smashed windscreen. I don't want to talk about it :o

now you HAVE to tell us

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see Nextbase UK are having a 25% off sale for their bank holiday weekend.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/

Good spot.

Does anyone know if any of the Nextbase models have time lapse parking mode* as well as G force activated parking mode?

* When the ignition is off the camera (powered by the car battery) continues to take a couple of photo's per second?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Whatever anyone does don't waste your money on the Nextbase 522GW, it is supposed to be a top of the range camera but the video quality is sht compared to my old 35 euro Yi dash cam.... This 522GW cost me 140 euro.

Seve OB wrote: »
    now you HAVE to tell us

Young gurriers (15/16) didn't like being told to stop climbing onto a neighbours garage roof so waited until I'd parked up and gone inside before lobbing a couple of football sized rocks at the car.

Guards called and incident recorded. Waste of time as they are untouchable U18.
    C'est la vie.

mondeo wrote: »
    Whatever anyone does don't waste your money on the Nextbase 522GW, it is supposed to be a top of the range camera but the video quality is sht compared to my old 35 euro Yi dash cam.... This 522GW cost me 140 euro.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thinking of splashing out on the VIOFO A129 Pro 4k for £170 as it has what they refer to as "Buffer" parking mode which essentially means it keeps recording when parked providing you have it hardwired in with a low battery cut off (which I already have) and when it detects an incident it doesn't just wake up and start recording after the incident but it grabs the 15 seconds before the incident plus (I think) 30 seconds afterwards and locks that into a file which won't be written over.

It's exactly what I need should the aforementioned gurriers ever return to have an other go at the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

mondeo wrote: »

That’s disappointing, I’ve only seen excellent reviews for the 522GW and l was about to pull the trigger on one - did you check it wasn’t faulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

[url][/url] https://www.ebay.ie/itm/232308323222

Car HD Dash Cam DVR Camera Recorder Night Vision Video G-sensor 1080P 2.2"LCD

Hi, can anyone give me advice on this dash cam and is it worth getting? Maybe someone has had this one before...Thank you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I'm planning on buying a dashcam soon, I would like some advice.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a dash cam that clips over the rear view mirror, and I have 3 requirements/questions:

1. I would like 60FPS video at 1080mp at least.
    2. Preferably dual facing camera
    3. Would this possibly compromise my insurance due to 'modifications'? I saw this mentioned somewhere and felt it is worth discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Insurance companies don't care about modifications other than performance related ones, so you're sound. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

joujoujou wrote: »
    Insurance companies don't care about modifications other than performance related ones, so you're sound. :)

Actually they do care about non performance related modifications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Anybody else have some advice or tips?

Advertisement