Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Nearly all the taxis here are Camry's many are hybrid. When I move home I would be pretty interested as a family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

My superb about 55mpg wen cruising wife's getz late 40s tipping about my car is high mileage now so maybe looking to change in next year and I need diesel but like everyone don't know wots coming regarding diesel so hybrid cud be an option or maybe a smaller petrol car

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jaysus, they cant discontinue the Avensis...

What will me oul lad buy religiously now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Philb76 wrote: »
    Lets be honest here no hybrid or petrol car is cheaper to run than an equivalent diesel especially the cost per litre fella I used to work with had a honda civic and he traded it for the new insight at the time around 2011 got a rebate for buying car but said on daily basis was saving nothing nothing on the regular petrol civic

A honda insight isn't really a true hybrid though and won't match the equivalent toyota for fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Vicxas wrote: »
    Jaysus, they cant discontinue the Avensis...

What will me oul lad buy religiously now...

Auris Touring 1.4D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

Had a Ford Ecosport in Germany recently. Over 3 hours driving (heading East on Motorway all the way), this 1L ecoboost 3cyl engine managed to drink almost €50 petrol, without pushing it. Two weeks before, BMW 530 Auto managed the return trip for just over €40.

So WTF petrol. Anybody regularly drives a hybrid hard?

In the meantime, until i can claim the VAT back on Petrol, there's no budging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hurrache wrote: »
    I don't think Toyota made a reasonable looking saloon car for the Irish market in decades. The Avensis estate is the best looking of their current line up (obviously excluding the GT86).

Really? I think the GT86 is absolutely hideous, ugly and a really poor design. The rear end is a mess with ugly lights that in no way match the front. Two fat cheap ugly tail pipes don’t help things at the rear either. The wheels are the ugliest OE wheels I have ever seen on any sports car and the ride height is plain ridiculous. I’m not even going to get into the miserly 200bhp and lack of a turbo. It’s just wrong on every plane. I know they can be modified and made look good but you shouldn’t have to change almost everything on a sports car to make it look nice.

Toyota have in no way done the 86 name any justice with their design and the car itself will never have even a fraction of the iconic status the AE86 has today.

Anyway back on topic, I like the look of the new Camry, I like the sharp edge design of the nose cone and the sloping lines. It me a nice looking car and something I could see myself driving in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Do you think the typical customer who buys the Avensis will be able for hybrid and automatic?
    Surely the typical Avensis owner couldn't care less if they have to change the gears manually or not? It's not like the old days when automatics were expensive, thirsty and required maintenance. All you need to do is take it for a 10 minute test drive to see how ridiculously easy it is to drive.

Something like 95% of new car sales in Japan are automatics now - I can see the same happening here soon enough, once people get over the irrational fear of the unknown.
    Auris Touring 1.4D
    New Auris will be out next year - that'll be the end for Toyota diesels outside the Land Cruiser and Hilux.
    Really? I think the GT86 is absolutely hideous, ugly and a really poor design. The rear end is a mess with ugly lights that in no way match the front. Two fat cheap ugly tail pipes don’t help things at the rear either. The wheels are the ugliest OE wheels I have ever seen on any sports car and the ride height is plain ridiculous. I’m not even going to get into the miserly 200bhp and lack of a turbo. It’s just wrong on every plane. I know they can be modified and made look good but you shouldn’t have to change almost everything on a sports car to make it look nice.

Yeah, I hear some consider it like a "blank canvas" where it's pretty much designed to be modified in every way. I'd rather just have an MX-5 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Am I the only one who likes the GT86 then?

I love the fact it's got a naturally aspirated engine, rear wheel drive and not just any old naturally aspirated engine, but a boxer one at that. It's very affordable relatively speaking.

I get what people are saying about the power in it, but honestly 197 bhp is plenty for public roads in something that size.

Don't get me wrong, I love a properly fast car as much as the next petrolhead but at the same time there is a lot of pleasure to be had in extracting every single one of the horsepower an engine has on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Am I the only one who likes the GT86 then?

I love the fact it's got a naturally aspirated engine, rear wheel drive and not just any old naturally aspirated engine, but a boxer one at that. It's very affordable relatively speaking.

I get what people are saying about the power in it, but honestly 197 bhp is plenty for public roads in something that size.

Don't get me wrong, I love a properly fast car as much as the next petrolhead but at the same time there is a lot of pleasure to be had in extracting every single one of the horsepower an engine has on public roads.

I love the fact that it feels like a fast car. It oozes that emotion, that chearfulness. Despite having 'only' 197 bhp.

On the other side you have much faster cars, that drive like being glued. They are precise, like surgeons scalpel. And they give as much fun as a scalpel. Machines to go fast, not giving pleasure...

Objectively GT86 is slow. Tall. On ridocously narrow tyres... But as long as I am not in business of making fast lap times, I couldn't care less about it. The grin doesn't care either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Toyota have in no way done the 86 name any justice with their design and the car itself will never have even a fraction of the iconic status the AE86 has today.

Let me know who your optician is so I can avoid them.

The GT86 doesn't look like a €40k car to be fair.
    The rear lights and wheels are particularly cheap looking, IMO. And I have great eyesight, taste is of course subjective.
    You won't hear any skanger with his tracksuit tucked into his white socks agreeing that he looks like a skanger but we all know that's the case, unless of course you tuck your tracksuit into your white socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Camry hybrid is rather nippy... 0-100 kmh seems to be just over 7 secs (0-60 mph in 6.9s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZAOyqXNSw4

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s a second quicker than an IS300h

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s a second quicker than an IS300h
    Yep, seems to be a newer version of the 2.5L from the IS, output is 205hp... the IS is 180 (before applying the electric motor that is, and if I'm not mistaken).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There is going to be a 2l hybrid in the new Auris which I'm told is rather fun by someone who driven it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Camry Hybrid has a new (for 2017) A25A-FXS engine, which has the same power as the previous 2AR-FSE in the IS 300h (178 PS), but it's now Atkinson cycle and more efficient, and the whole hybrid drivetrain appears to be new. Combined output is claimed 211 PS, compared to 220 from the IS - but this is based on some Toyota magical calculations, and for all I know they've changed their method of calculating this (as all the new models seem to have lower combined power?). It's also got a Li-ion battery compared to previous Toyota hybrids.

https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/17680157

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Really? I think the GT86 is absolutely hideous, ugly and a really poor design.

....and it's not even a Toyota. All Subaru, even manufactured by Subaru. The same company that made a one time "stand-out" Car (Impreza) look like your Granny's Civic.

Anyway, back on topic. I reckon the Camry is Toyota's version of the Nissan Tiida...something normal and everyday to keep the middle-ground segment happy. And, as an added bonus, they are manufacturing them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This smacks a little of desperation-
    Clearly the loss of the Avensis and everyday diesels is a big blow to Toyota in Ireland and Europe. It better be keenly priced it or won’t have a prayer https://www.toyota.ie/world-of-toyota/articles-news-events/2018/the-camry-returns.json

My dad has had a new Avensis every 2 years since 2000 and is on his 9th one.

He went in afew weeks ago to order a 182 diesel Aura Avensis as normal only to be told they weren't available in diesel anymore and they are completely out of stock so he bought himself a 2 litre d4d Rav4 in silver instead that he is picking up in afew weeks. This is the route i see alot of Avensis drivers going tbh.

Or they’ll simply head down to their nearest VW or Hyundai dealer where no such restrictions apply and you can buy whichever fuel type or class you like. I don’t like small SUVs like the RAV4- worse fuel economy, poorer handling and performance- all for the amazing privilege of sitting a few inches higher. Also gather their diesel option will be dropped soon also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

In defense of the Camry it’s a big floaty boat. I drove and automatic one in Australia for a while and it was like driving your armchair down the road.

Problem will be price I’d say.

In defense of the Camry it’s a big floaty boat. I drove and automatic one in Australia for a while and it was like driving your armchair down the road.

Problem will be price I’d say.

I’ve no doubt it’s a lovely car. But big petrol saloons haven’t been a thing here for decades. Maybe the new road tax regime will help as engine size isn’t he issue anymore, its the emissions.
    I’d love to know the price. It’ll have to compete well with cars like the Insignia Passat and Mazda 6 which are similar size and range from under €30-35k in the main

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

road_high wrote: »
    I’ve no doubt it’s a lovely car. But big petrol saloons haven’t been a thing here for decades. Maybe the new road tax regime will help as engine size isn’t he issue anymore, its the emissions.
    I’d love to know the price. It’ll have to compete well with cars like the Insignia Passat and Mazda 6 which are similar size and range from under €30-35k in the main

Since I became the owner of an Octavia RS 2.0TSI. I’m seeing quite a number of them in places I’d never expect them. Rural Thurles. They are only €400 to tax a year. Meanwhile people in Thurles town are buying diesel Audi’s to use exclusively in the town. You really couldn’t make it up. Badge snobbery first I guess.

Since I became the owner of an Octavia RS 2.0TSI. I’m seeing quite a number of them in places I’d never expect them. Rural Thurles. They are only €400 to tax a year. Meanwhile people in Thurles town are buying diesel Audi’s to use exclusively in the town. You really couldn’t make it up. Badge snobbery first I guess.

I don’t know much about “larger” petrol cars as there’s so few obvious options- but I thought most were circa the magical €200 road tax?. Saying that,€400 is still a lot less than similar size 10/15 years back.

road_high wrote: »
    . Maybe the new road tax regime will help as engine size isn’t he issue anymore, its the emissions.

The new tax regime that’s 10 years old this weekend?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The new tax regime that’s 10 years old this weekend?

True but it still feels new to me!

With the amount of chr sold I reckon the Camry will sell in respectable enough numbers. Far better bus than a small cc turbo passat or similar.

Toyota won't need to sell loads of them but it wil be a decent option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Loads of them over here in Australia, police and taxis are even using them. Some hybrid and some not.

• What sort of idiots are in charge in Toyota that think is a good idea not to have a diesel which is what will actually sell, especially in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    With the amount of chr sold I reckon the Camry will sell in respectable enough numbers. Far better bus than a small cc turbo passat or similar.

Toyota won't need to sell loads of them but it wil be a decent option.

Don’t know that the CHR is selling for the same money as bigger cars because it’s hybrid, it’s a fresh design and is currently in fashion. The Camry is the opposite IMO, it’s a kind of car that’s good value if you’re buying by the square yard.

I’m glad the Camry is back, but can’t see it ever taking off here or in the U.K.

Advertisement