Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puppy Training Help Please!

• 22-07-2020 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All

Myself and my wife have had our cockapoo pup for the past 3 weeks.
    We are trying to toilet train him at the moment and during the day he is pretty good at going outside for pee or going to his pee pads.

The problem is at night.

We wake up to nasty poo surprises in the wrong places and we feel he doesnt settle that well at night.

We haven’t been using a crate for him but have a pen we haven’t used yet. Could this be an option? It’s big enough for his bed and his pee pad.

Any other ideas to get him to settle at night ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Are you getting up a couple of times in the middle of the night to bring him outside so he can poop? You really should be, he's only a baby and can't hold it in for that long.

And yes, crate training is great. Be sure to use it properly though, it's not a lazy way out. Research research research

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

A puppy cannot hold on all night.

As the poster above said, you need to be bringing him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

You have to stick with it, OP. 3 weeks isn't really a long time to toilet train a pup.

I didn't crate train mine, even though he had a crate. You have to watch him carefully for the 'signs'. Do you take him out when he's woken up, ate, played or generally got excited? You should.

I would also be prepared to get up at least twice in the night to let him potty. Encourage him with lots of praise, hand clapping whatever it is you do. DON'T reward him with treats, whatever you do! A nice scratch or belly rub with a 'Good Boy!) will do.

Little man will soon get the idea. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DON'T reward him with treats, whatever you do!

What’s wrong with using treats? You want to jackpot when the pup goes outside - if that means treats give treats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

tk123 wrote: »
    What’s wrong with using treats? You want to jackpot when the pup goes outside - if that means treats give treats!

For toilet training? I'm all for positive reinforcement. My dog was so used to treats for good behaviour, he used to indicate his treat box whenever he was brushed, his nails done or whatever. But I don't agree with it for toilet training. To me, that's a fundamental of good doggy behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I did it with my dog as a pup. It was the best way to get her to go the very last thing before bed when she didn't have to go there and then but she probably would need to go within a few hours
    I still do it now because if she takes a big drink a bit too close to bedtime the same logic applies and if she knows there a cheese slice on the menu she'll do a proper wee and she won't go waking me in the middle of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

tk123 wrote: »

I used to use treats to reward toileting outside until one of my more intelligent pups started to pretend to pee so he could get his reward, cocked his leg and everything.

Now it is verbal praise only and maybe a bit of a play time

I should add that the 2 dogs after the intelligent one were house trained in about a week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’ve never had any problems with rewarding with treats and phasing them out/using praise instead for anything I train. Once the pup knows their toilet cue my work is done lol.

Advertisement