Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Complete stamp collection Vatikan 1959-1992

• 02-12-2019 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have my uncle's old stamp catalogue which is complete with Vatikan stamps from 1959-1992. I'd love to sell these as I'm worried I won't be able to store them properly and they'll lose their value.

One of them is a rare stamp from 1964 called "Nubian Monuments Protection" and could be worth a few hundred Euros, so my guess is it's a decent collection.

Can anyone give me any pointers on the value of these? https://imgur.com/a/XsIn2rR

Stamps are in mint condition, but the catalogue/book is slightly moldy. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hi all,

I have my uncle's old stamp catalogue which is complete with Vatikan stamps from 1959-1992. I'd love to sell these as I'm worried I won't be able to store them properly and they'll lose their value.

One of them is a rare stamp from 1964 called "Nubian Monuments Protection" and could be worth a few hundred Euros, so my guess is it's a decent collection.

Can anyone give me any pointers on the value of these? https://imgur.com/a/XsIn2rR

Stamps are in mint condition, but the catalogue/book is slightly moldy. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

You could worse than contact Ireland's only firm of stamp auctioneers:

MacDonnell Whyte Ltd.,
    102 Leinster Road, Dublin.6.
    Tel: (01) 497 7449
    mdwltd@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

Thanks Del.Monte, will do that. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Nice collection you have there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A bit late but...

I have gone through the Scott 2009 catalogue for you. Unfortunately the Nubian one is common and only has nominal value = 0.20c [ https://www.stampworld.com/en/stamps/Vatican-City/Postage%20stamps/1960-1969?user=185169&page=3 ]. You can check other values there but it is only a crude value indicator unlike the 'proper' catalogues.

From the top and arranged by stamp group US$:
    1961 - 3.45, 2.20
    1968 - 2.75, 0.60, 0.60, 1.00, 1.30
    1980 - 0.95, 9.50, 1.00
    1964 - 0.80, 0.80, 0.80
    1988 - 5.50, 13.85, 5.80
    1989 - 8.25
    1990 - 6.80

SUM = $65.95 is a catalogue value estimate based on Scott 2009.

These look to be mounted in sleeves so unlikely to be hinged and look in good condition. However, catalogue value is the absolute max you would get if everything was in your favour. Typically you would be doing well to get 25% of that value.

Unfortunately you have experienced what so many people go through when they discover an old stamp album. It is a very rare thing for such a collection to actually have decent value. Been there.

Advertisement