Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to connect PlayStation to speakers.

Options
  • 29-07-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

My son bought speakers and is struggling to connect it to his PS4 as it has limited ports to connect to.

I can't remember how to put photos in a thread so I'll do my best to explain.

The instructions that came with speaker say the red and white (RCA) plugs go to the speaker and at the other end there needs to be a fitting that will go into the AUX port (PS4) as it can't go to LAN. There are USB ports at the front of PS4 if that would work? There are no other ports....

Any idea what cable we need?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

mumof2 wrote: »
    Hi all.

My son bought speakers and is struggling to connect it to his PS4 as it has limited ports to connect to.

I can't remember how to put photos in a thread so I'll do my best to explain.

The instructions that came with speaker say the red and white (RCA) plugs go to the speaker and at the other end there needs to be a fitting that will go into the AUX port (PS4) as it can't go to LAN. There are USB ports at the front of PS4 if that would work? There are no other ports....

Any idea what cable we need?

Thanks in advance!

Plug the speakers into the TV directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

@jamesbondings

He has that already done (using the headphone jack from speaker to TV) as that was the only option. Only one speaker and subwoofer (we may have a faulty second speaker yet).

Will the option of the right cable sort out the sound difference as in make it better (he says it's not great).

thanks

@jamesbondings

He has that already done (using the headphone jack from speaker to TV) as that was the only option. Only one speaker and subwoofer (we may have a faulty second speaker yet).

Will the option of the right cable sort out the sound difference as in make it better (he says it's not great).

thanks

i use a soundbar now so just connects to the tv - it has a specific cable that did not come with the bar.

before when i had a subwoofer and speakers (surround sound) all the speakers connected directly into one box (maybe the subwoofer) and then straight into the tv/dvd player (at the time)

maybe link the product here and we can have a look at it to see how it hooks up

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/basic/pn_1000.html

port b is where i would imagine it needs to plug in.

i use a soundbar now so just connects to the tv - it has a specific cable that did not come with the bar.

before when i had a subwoofer and speakers (surround sound) all the speakers connected directly into one box (maybe the subwoofer) and then straight into the tv/dvd player (at the time)

maybe link the product here and we can have a look at it to see how it hooks up

This is the link for the speakers he purchased. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YR92VMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I have a surround sound system and needed a new cable to get my xbox hooked up - it worked with something called a toslink lead but the PS4 doesn't have that fitting).

• Advertisement

ill have a look at the system now. The port i directed you to above is the toslink fitting.

need to slide it up, it is on the back of the console

ill have a look at the system now. The port i directed you to above is the toslink fitting.

need to slide it up, it is on the back of the console

Yeah, he has no toslink fitting on the ps4 or the speakers for that matter. Its very limited connectivity wise.

Almost contemplating returning and buying the bluetooth ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Is it a slim PS4?

https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/comments/7e5sdz/is_there_an_adapter_to_make_this_aux_port_an/

The above is the only port available on the PS4 slim version to connect the red and white cables with but we can't locate such a cable

• Advertisement

XsApollo wrote: »
    Is it a slim PS4?

yes it is with very limited ports for connecting anything

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Try usb sound card.

I had this kind of setup when I was playing in the office sometimes.

Tom

Edit:
    I'm using this kind of card :
    521462.jpg

There are 5.1 usb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

yes it is with very limited ports for connecting anything

You can’t hook Bluetooth speakers to that either.
    Only audio out via HDMI.
    So you need to get the sound from the tv via what ever port is on the tv.

XsApollo wrote: »
    You can’t hook Bluetooth speakers to that either.
    Only audio out via HDMI.
    So you need to get the sound from the tv via what ever port is on the tv.

We're gonna try using scart with Audio adapter.

EDIT: That didn't work. He's sending the set back and getting a replacement set so that at least the second speaker
    will work. Might find alternative options before then to connect it to the PlayStation.

Advertisement