Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The addition of the new town service the 34 is good news for the people of Cobh. It links up with the train station at Cobh which is another plus for people who live in the area & further east of Cobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Park & ride wasn't included in any of the BusConnects consultations in Dublin. In fact, park & ride was recently removed from the Dublin BusConnects project and is now an independent project. It's the same design office that's delivering park & ride in the other cities so I would expect a similar approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

More info on the BusConnects corridors in Cork to be published today.

Link to corridors info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭thomil

This is going to get killed before it even gets off the ground. NIMBYs, ignorant councilors, an incompetent council executive and a disinterested & hostile public will make sure of that.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

No doubt. The Examiner are already framing it in a negative light going on about parking and gardens to get the nimbys worked up. It doesn't stand a chance unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Not all routes are equally difficult though. For instance a lot of Corridor A is doable with very little effort almost immediately. I've been harping on about it for years. Seems like low-hanging-fruit to me.

Corridor B and D are a nightmare, by comparison.

And then some corridors are a mix of "very doable" and "very difficult", like Corridor C, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Was there not supposed to be an orbital corridor too?

Yes. It looks like elements of it are present in corridors L, F, D and K but an overall orbital is missing. Originally it was described as:

CBC O Orbital corridor From Cork University Hospital via Western Road, Hollyhill, Blackpool, Mayfield, Jack Lynch Tunnel, Mahon point, Douglas village and Black Ash to Cork University Hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The corridor that I live near is B and that will be a nightmare. And no it’s not because of NIMBY either. Unless the crowd doing this can find a way to make summerhill and particularly the hill past Dillon’s cross up towards mayfield library magically wider than I’ll tip my hat to them.

There’s supposed to be a dedicated bus lane there already(it’s marked out on the road) but it barely fits a two lanes of traffic as it is. And while you might be able to get some people to move by the library, where they expect people living between Dillon’s cross and the top of the hill where the three horse shoes pub is(was ?) to park if not near their homes then again I’ll tip my hat.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

After the issues with the St Patrick St bus corridor and the Wilton Rd bus lanes I honestly cant see anything meaningful happening with any of this. The local businesses, local residents and particularly a majority of the Councillors just wont back it. Eamon Ryan is already putting it up to the council saying the money is there and its a use it or lose it situation. It will be a lose it in Corks case, i fear.

If we get anything, it will end up being some piecemeal stretches of bus and bike lanes where there is ample space and no one is impacted and the lanes probably aren't needed there anyway.

I feel it wont be just a Cork thing either, I can see the same happening in Dublin.

In saying that, from my end of town, I do really like the idea of a bus and bike only corridor on Main St Ballincollig. The area at the front of the shopping centre along with the old square and all that part of the main street would be a wonderful space as a result. Not a hope of it actually happening though....

Post edited by gooseman12 on

It's barely been published and the usual local nonsense has started.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't think this will ever be delivered as intended. By the time the local nimbys and politicians have their way it'll be completely watered down to the point of being useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So asking logical questions is local nonsense then ? He’s not wrong because reality does need to come be a part of this proposal and and I don’t know cathedral road that well but it’s wider than old Youghal road from what I remember. Even with the best will in the world you can’t Make parts of it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

The cycling provisions on route B to Mayfield have clearly been designed either by a complete non-cyclist or by a very fit sports/racing cyclist who doesn’t even notice hills. It is unrealistic to expect occasional cyclists of average fitness (relative to overall population) to divert up York Hill and Gardiners Hill instead of staying on the mainline with its easier gradients.

Those only interested in the bus aspects of the new plan may well think “I couldn’t care less”. But the relevance to you is that if the prescribed cycling detours are deemed less desirable, cyclists will just stay on the mainline, contending for lane space with buses. And the relevance of the above to private motorists is that unattractive, physically-challenging cycling routes are less likely to precipitate a mode shift, i.e. more people still in cars.

Edit: another issue with the proposed cycling detours on route B (and other routes) is that they introduce T junctions where cyclists have to yield to motorised vehicles. This is something that non-cycling planners never seem to grasp. Ability to maintain momentum is a key criterion in whether a cyclist will see a cycling-specific detour as attractive. This issue is most commonly seen when planners build cycling detours around roundabouts, requiring cyclists to yield multiple times to vehicles entering and leaving the roundabout. Utterly useless.

This might seem like a cycling tangent in the wrong thread, but the appropriateness of an integrated infrastructure to one group of users has the potential to affect all users.

By a non-cyclist. Even sports/leisure cyclists generally avoid the chosen routes there.

Fully agreed with your comments about detours/T-Junctions. In plain language, they just don't know how to design for bikes. They don't understand the issue of momentum. Something that is not an issue whatsoever in a motorised vehicle is a significant issue on a bike. Momentum is everything. Nobody designing cycling infrastructure in Ireland seems to understand the basics of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

As part of the Dublin project, there were a number of apparent kite flying type proposals, seemingly designed to placate certain interests but ultimately generating enough outrage that a more reasonable solution prevailed (e.g. the parallel cycle route in Rathmines that involved knocking through a couple of schools and the barracks and another bridge over the canal before the sensible online solution at the expense of cars on the main road was adopted). The initial outline is always going to shake the vested interests out of the tree and battle lines will be drawn, doesn't mean that proposals we see now are set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's a well used and well proven strategy: propose an almost absurd solution in the hope that people will moderate to, and agree on, the more moderate option that you actually want.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

They should get Deliveroo & Just eat to contribute to the cycling infrastructure, they're the only lads and ladies who actually seem to use it day to day 😄

Yes it is because the details will be announced in June. Gould just wanted his name in the media now and refused to wait for more details before sounding off. The roads will be controlled by bus gates to prevent rat running but anyone living there will still have local access for their cars.

• Advertisement

The thing about those anti rat-run measures, is that the locals are the ones who would stand to benefit most. Lack of through-traffic can make areas a lot more pleasant to live in, and possibly even easier for locals to access (less traffic).

But in reality I suspect that loss of front gardens and parking spaces will heavily dominate the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yes, because badly designed cycling infrastructure isn’t used by cyclists if it’s perceived to be less efficient and/or less safe. Presence of the cycle track sign doesn’t guarantee its use. A calculus is made and, unfortunately but understandably, non-cyclists have little or no awareness of what goes into that calculus. They just see an unused cycle track, a cyclist riding next to it, and think “why do we bother?” But if the cycle tracks are designed right, built right, maintained right, and policed right, they will be used.

A lot of mistakes are made by the designers of Irish cycle infrastructure. The best stuff that's currently available in Cork has been designed for "leisure". That is to say it starts nowhere, meanders around away from anything and ends nowhere. That stuff is generally used, but won't tempt anyone out of cars.

I cycle a lot but can't think of any cycle infrastructure that I regularly use to actually get anywhere. I regularly cycle on the road avoiding existing cycle infrastructure because it puts me at a disadvantage and/or puts me in danger.

Also, much of the existing cycle infrastructure is piecemeal, existing for extremely short stretches where it's least needed. And if someone is confident enough to cycle on the road for a good chunk of their journey, they're also going to be confident enough to stay on the road where the junk cycle infrastructure exists.

Again, as the previous poster has said, if you don't cycle then a lot of what exists may appear to be quite fit-for-purpose. Unfortunately the majority of it is not. It's like able-bodied people designing for those with mobility impairments: if you don't understand the basic needs, you're not going to do it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ballincollig Blow In

This might be a stupid question so apologies in advance, but how will that work exactly?

My understanding of how Bus Gates work is that there is some sort of sensor that is placed high up over the ground somewhere (over the height of a typical car) and that only the height of a bus is high enough to trigger it and open the barrier?

For locals that will need access to the road to get to/from their homes, how will it work and how will the bus gate differentiate between local through traffic and those using as a rat run? 🤔

Seconded for Ballincollig 👍🏻

School time morning and evening and same with commuters makes the Main street of Ballincollig a nightmare with traffic.

it being one long street doesn’t help either I guess. I think the plan would make the centre of the village superb.

Some footpaths in parts seem really wide, wider than even necessary for the amount of footfall, so if they maybe narrowed the real wide parts a little bit and got rid of the on street parking, i reckon there’d be loads of room for 2 bus lanes first and then the Luas in a few years 😁

Out of interest though, where would traffic get routed?

Go the South Ring and use N40 junction 1 and N22 junctions 1 & 2?

The back road

Down by Tesco and Old Fort road?

The link road across from Iceland?

Combinations of all 4 depending on your destination?

I don't think bus gates are height-activated, though I could be mistaken. I suspect you're thinking of pop-up bollards but some bus gates are simply road markings and signage, with ANPR and associated fines. In that sense, it doesn't need to "identify" in real-time. Only cross-reference the database of vehicles whose legitimate journeys are on the affected street/road. But I'm only guessing at what they intend in Cork.

ah ok, that makes sense alright. That’s the system in parts of the UK i think, you can still enter a bus only lane, but the camera will go clicky clicky and you’ll get an £80 fine for your trouble (or whatever it is). The financial deterrent is what controls it.

Do we have those types of camera here in Ireland? For any infrastructure? Ones that get you automatically and don’t need a manual operator? A lot of speed cameras work that way in the UK, but all ours are either the vans or a Guard with the speed gun…?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Don't know about elsewhere, but in Waterford the bus gates (with rising bollards) are activated by a tag, presumably like a toll tag. Nothing to do with height. This allows taxis, council and emergency vehicles to pass through too.

We do have those types of camera here alright. M50 toll would have been the most obvious. The recent N/M20 team have said that any tolls on their new infrastructure will be done this way. I believe speed averaging is just being brought in on the M7 also, using the same technology.

I'd prefer the pop-up bollards if I'm honest, because the "fine" system allows rich people to do as they please, or allows contractors to price the fines into their project work, both undermining the entire purpose of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

On the Dublin proposals the bus gates are signposted / traffic lighted only. It is effectively a dead end for private transport and a straight through for buses and taxis.

Bus connects visualization here (bonus credit for the realistic red light running of the beetle at 25 seconds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1GAL6EDkbo&ab_channel=TransportforIreland

Advertisement