Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Installing PV in my own house (cert question)

Options
  • 15-07-2019 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on installing PV in my own house. Uncle is a roofer and I'm a qualified electrician so its essentially labour free bar the next part. Can i install the PV and connect the panels and connect them to the inverter then pull in a feed for a certified electrician to test anf connect the inverter to the fuseboard and certify. Am I complying with the law in this scenario?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would imagine that you would be permitted to mount the PV panels, prepare routes for cabling (chasing& drilling joists) and that is about it.

My opinion: Strictly speaking a REC can not certify anyone else's electrical work and this seems to be what you would like the REC to do.
    If you work for a REC, perhaps you can get this done through work? That way everything is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

If the PV is below 50v is that classed as extra low voltage. Could i do that cabling then ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the PV is below 50v is that classed as extra low voltage. Could i do that cabling then ?

Good point.
    Perhaps you could, however the inverter (assuming there is one) would have a 230V output so this would form the boundary from where the REC would take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Thanks for the help :). Max allowed install size is 6kw in domestic. Run from the inverter to the board would be either 1 meter if mounted next to it or 5 meters if mounted in the attic. So 26.5 amps max which 4mm cable would suffice with next to no voltage drop. What breaker size would be used in that circumstance?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

Any work listed in Part 7 of the wiring rules "Special Locations" is restricted by law to Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs).
    Part 712 deals with PV installations. Therefore PV installations are restricted to RECs. You will be breaking the law if you install your own.
    https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/

• Advertisement

Any work listed in Part 7 of the wiring rules "Special Locations" is restricted by law to Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs).

Let's look at the exact text here:

the modification, installation or replacement of a Distribution Board including customer tails on either side of the Main Protective Device or of an Electrical Installation in any of the special locations listed in Part 7 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations, as the case may be

The key word here is "location". I am open to correction here but I would think that this only applies to any of the locations listed in part 7. Quite a few locations are mentioned such as bathrooms, swimming pools and caravan parks. Could a "Solar photovoltaic power supply system" be described as a "location" ?

Now let's say you are correct (and you may well be) I would think that a non-REC would still be allowed to mount the solar panels. I would compare this to a building contractor (non-REC) craning a transformer into place for the electrical contractor to connect. Anyway the easiest way to resolve this definitively is to contact the CRU as they are the last word on all such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'm afraid you are wrong. Part 7 is known as Special Locations so the PV installation is included. Also nowhere is there any suggestion that ELV wiring is exempt from the law. Therefore I can categorically state that it would definitely be unlawful.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are wrong.

It wouldn’t be the first time :D
    Part 7 is known as Special Locations

It’s not, have another look.
    The exact title is “Part 7 Requirements for special installations or locations”.

As such I would view part 7 as having two main components as follows:
    1) Special locations
    2) Special installations

According to the SI if you read the precise text that I have included in my post above it only applies to “special locations” in part 7, not “special installations” in part 7.

In the rules section 712 in part 7 is specifically referred to as an “installation” not a “location”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

What I mean is that Part 7 is colloquially known simply as special locations (which forms part of the title).

Risteard81 wrote: »
    What I mean is that Part 7 is colloquially known simply as special locations (which forms part of the title).

Sure, but the devil is in the detail.
    It is always important to be very precise when reading regulations. A “location” and an “installation” are two very different things, I suspect that this is why the rules use two different terms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement