Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zanussi gas cooker (plug fuse keeps blowing)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Yep you got all that right, and he’s the main currys.ie technician here in Kilkenny and surrounding area. You'd think he’d know better, I think I actually know better than him.yes it is a 6sq cable all the way. I’ll just get a replacement cable and plug and wire it back properly myself.

That's discraceful. On the 6sq cable coming from the switch behind the cooker, you could put a single socket on this, mark it for cooker use only. Or fit a fused spur on the end of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kealyboy

That's discraceful. On the 6sq cable coming from the switch behind the cooker, you could put a single socket on this, mark it for cooker use only. Or fit a fused spur on the end of the cable.

I like the idea of the cooker being wire to the cooker switch rather than being plugged into a socket on the wall. So it would be acceptable to wire a fused spur to the end of the cooker 6sq cable and then take a connection from the fused spur into the cooker terminal in 6sq cabe. Then I could fix that fused spur on the wall behind the cooker so that you could see it. Then I can still operate the cooker from the cooker switch safely. Would that be ok?

I like the idea of the cooker being wire to the cooker switch rather than being plugged into a socket on the wall. So it would be acceptable to wire a fused spur to the end of the cooker 6sq cable and then take a connection from the fused spur into the cooker terminal in 6sq cabe. Then I could fix that fused spur on the wall behind the cooker so that you could see it. Then I can still operate the cooker from the cooker switch safely. Would that be ok?

Yes that should be fine, if done correctly

6sq ->switch -> 6sq -> fused spur -> flex -> cooker

You can just use the flex that the repair guy fitted after the fused spur.

Yes that should be fine, if done correctly

6sq ->switch -> 6sq -> fused spur -> flex -> cooker

You can just use the flex that the repair guy fitted after the fused spur.
    The way he did it was he wired the 6sq cable from the cooker switch straight into the cookers terminal block:

cooker switch -> 6sq -> cooker

Im goin disconnect the 6sq cable from the cooker connect the end of that to a 3amp fused spur and then wire a flex ( like what was originally used when the cooker was plugged in the wall socket, picture was uploaded earlier, the flex that I stripped) from the fused spur into the cooker terminal block:

Cooker switch -> 6sq -> 3amp fused spur -> flex -> cooker

I hope I’m right? and thats safe and ok?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to the advice given.

Anyway back to the OP:

That is the way I would do it. The flex should be heat resistant.

• Advertisement

The way he did it was he wired the 6sq cable from the cooker switch straight into the cookers terminal block:

cooker switch -> 6sq -> cooker

Im goin disconnect the 6sq cable from the cooker connect the end of that to a 3amp fused spur and then wire a flex ( like what was originally used when the cooker was plugged in the wall socket, picture was uploaded earlier, the flex that I stripped) from the fused spur into the cooker terminal block:

Cooker switch -> 6sq -> 3amp fused spur -> flex -> cooker

Yes your way is fine. I can't believe he got the 6sq and terminated it into a cooker, I don't know how the strain relief would even have clamped over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Crazy how the item - the RF filter in the mains lead - which is supposed to increase the reliability of the cooker actually is a cause of unreliability. They could have used a higher voltage rating for the capacitors in the filter. Negligible increase in cost.

Yes your way is fine. I can't believe he got the 6sq and terminated it into a cooker, I don't know how the strain relief would even have clamped over this.

The cooker switch and 6sq cable was not a new installation, they were always there from when the house was built. The cable was just left behind the cooker and insulation tape taped over the end of it. He just then saw that there and just wired it to the gas cooker instead of using the plug and flex

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spooge_

Hi, I know this thread is a couple of years old but I was wondering if you could help. I have a Zanussi stand alone gas cooker which uses an electric igniter to light the burners and oven. Everything works fine, the clock comes on and the igniter lights up everything when you push down on the gas knobs. The oven works off a 220/240v plug, the problem is, when it's left plugged in overnight, the RCD trips out. I can only flick the RCD switch back up once the cooker is unplugged. It's a weird one because if there was a short somewhere, you'd imagine it would trip out immediately and not after a few hours. Thanks for any advice in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Having same issue here. Trips out randomly. Did you manage find cause?

• Advertisement
Advertisement