Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to replace power supply for electric recliner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It looks like your recliner needs an AC supply, 21V @ 140VA (watts) if i'm reading that correctly.

More than likely your transformer is fine, sounds like a connector issue either at the transformer or the plug which connects into the control unit. If you know anyone handy with a soldering iron it shouldn't be too much trouble to find the problem, cut back the cable and re-solder it. Happens all the time with laptop power supplies. There's a few electric appliance repair places around, most of these should be able to solder it for you.

The power supply you linked to is a DC supply it will not work. You need an AC transformer with a 21V 140VA output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

It looks like your recliner needs an AC supply, 21V @ 140VA (watts) if i'm reading that correctly.

More than likely your transformer is fine, sounds like a connector issue either at the transformer or the plug which connects into the control unit. If you know anyone handy with a soldering iron it shouldn't be too much trouble to find the problem, cut back the cable and re-solder it. Happens all the time with laptop power supplies. There's a few electric appliance repair places around, most of these should be able to solder it for you.

The power supply you linked to is a DC supply it will not work. You need an AC transformer with a 21V 140VA output.
    Thanks. It's loose at the point where the small 2 pin connector goes into the transformer. I dont think it needs soldering, the opening has become enlarged so the connectors won't stay in place.

Can you pm me any recommendations for electrical repair shops? When I took the screw out of the bottom of the transformer, I couldn't open it. Don't know whether you need a special tool to do this? Looks like the little round 'thingy' that takes the 2 pin connector is a stand alone and can be removed and replaced?

Thanks

Here's a pic of the connector socket

Yea them connectors aren't great at all. More than likely it needs the finger in the connector bent back in so it contacts with the plug. Get a small screw driver and see if you can adjust/bend the finger in the connector. Failing that, a little bend in the plug pin might also improve the connection.

There's probably a hidden screw under the label, if two halves of the unit aren't ultraoniscally welded together.

Most people would probably just solder the wirest directly into the transformer, or bring two wires out of the transformer into a block connector.

Sorry I don't have any recomendations of somewhere that could look at this in dublin. This should be easy for anyone with a bit of DIY experience to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

It looks like a handy fix it does I'm not around for a few days but if you can disconnect the transformer most if not all phone repair shops will do it for you. Or if you know anyone handy... it's a easy fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

It looks like a handy fix it does I'm not around for a few days but if you can disconnect the transformer most if not all phone repair shops will do it for you. Or if you know anyone handy... it's a easy fix

Thanks everyone. I took out the bottom screw and tried to prise it apart but could only get a small bit of the screwdriver under the lip. Looks like it's not meant to come apart.

I don't want to bend the pins in case I do damage. I emailed the manufacturer about a replacement power supply but it was working out very expensive. I asked them if I could use the ac/dc power supply I linked to as most electric recliners use this particular type. I was told I could so I went ahead and ordered one. We'll see what happens. It was pretty cheap so if it doesn't work I can still go ahead and get the original one replaced from the manufacturer. Fingers crossed!

I’m suprised that any manufacture would ok you using a power supply from an unknown source. Putting a slight bend in the connector isn’t going to damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is a fairly standard connector/supply, got one off Amazon last year, here's similar:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CUGLB-Replacement-Recliner-Transformer-Battery/dp/B01FQH13ES/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

There is probably screws hidden under the rubber pads of the transformer.

• Advertisement

whizbang wrote: »
    There is probably screws hidden under the rubber pads of the transformer.

Nope. I pulled out the pads and nothing there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd a similar thread a few years ago.

The cable glands did not protect the cable, I'd a break on the 220Vac side.

I bought a project box that would hold the old unit, it was large wirewound unit

I bought 20mm compression glands and reconnected the unit, it's for a lazy boy. It has been working very well since, I think it was about 80 ex vat and duty to bring in a new one.

So I cut off the dodgy bits of cables and used good quality compression glands to take the stress off the cables. To achieve this I needed to pop it all into a new enclosure.

There were no heat vents to block in my case

Thanks for the reply. Far too complicated for me!

I bought the power supply I linked to from eBay. £15 and job done. Works perfectly!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well done. I would have done the same but couldn't get the right one save importing it.

Advertisement