Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar PV Inverter - what are the "Irish Settings"

• 16-07-2019 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone please confirm as to what the Irish Settings are that an Inverter must have to be "Compliant" in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/conditions-governing-connection-and-operation-of-micro-generation-policy.pdf?sfvrsn=ad5c33f0_8

Your inverter will need a certificate from the manufacturer confirming these settings are active as they are specific to Ireland for some unknown reason. The installer will normally tell you the inverter is fine but often they will not actually supply the certificate which is what you need for your application to Networks. If the inverter is simply compliant with EN50438 then it is not going to be OK. If they submit the paperwork on your behalf you risk being shut down if the system is not compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

EN50438 with Ireland specific settings (EN50438 varies slightly from country to country).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

n97 mini wrote:
    EN50438 with Ireland specific settings (EN50438 varies slightly from country to country).

My problem was that some inverters have a setup menu where you can pick the country and the relevant settings will be set automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

championc wrote: »
    My problem was that some inverters have a setup menu where you can pick the country and the relevant settings will be set automatically
    The main difference is in frequencies of the grid at which the inverter must disconnect. Most standards, including EN50438, accept 48hz to 52hz. Ireland only allows up to 50.5hz. And regardless of whether you can SET it to do that, it must have a certificate saying it has been tested in a lab with these standards set.

The inverter can only work in a range of 207V to 253V, but that is quite normal.

God knows why ROI has such a strict standard, and curious that we are a single market with NI, where G98 and other more commonly available standards are allowed.

I've never heard of a credible explanation.

Many thanks Quentin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

God knows why ROI has such a strict standard, and curious that we are a single market with NI, where G98 and other more commonly available standards are allowed.

I've never heard of a credible explanation.

The cynic in me says its just so that they can be difficult and hold back Solar PV adoption, which we all know ESB are against! :(

A question if I may - the doc referenced by @freddyuk lists under and over frequency as being Over 52 Hz and Under 47 Hz (as per Section 2.2). Section 6.3 appears to just use 50.5 Hz as an example.

The way I am reading it, it appears to indicate that the threshold is 0.5% of whatever your value is, once that value is between 47 Hz and 52 Hz - correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

championc wrote: »
    A question if I may - the doc referenced by @freddyuk lists under and over frequency as being Over 52 Hz and Under 47 Hz (as per Section 2.2). Section 6.3 appears to just use 50.5 Hz as an example.

The way I am reading it, it appears to indicate that the threshold is 0.5% of whatever your value is, once that value is between 47 Hz and 52 Hz - correct ?
    Oh - we learn something new every day. I always was guided by the original conditions from 2007 (attached). Maybe they have changed. I will enquire.

I am not sure if this helps because the international 50438 is 47 to 53hz. So we may still require unique testing to 52hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭denismc

Just wondering if the special " Irish " settings are still a requirement inverter installations?

We had a Goodwe inverter installed over 4 years ago but it turns out the installer never completed NC6 form, now I am wondering if our inverter is compliant.

I can find test certificates for certain Goodwe models but not ours which is a GW2500-NS.

Any installers out there that might be able to share their wisdom?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

• Advertisement
Advertisement