Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips to avoid scams - reminder

• 15-08-2018 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

A lot of scams going about at the moment - usually along the lines of "The property you want to see has a lot of tenants wanting to view. Pay the first months rent to secure a viewing etc"

Its easy to see why people may be tempted - its stressful looking for a place and most people want a whole heap of personal docs before a viewing (payslips/ refs/ etc).

Obv you should check things out as much as possible before sending any money anywhere - but if you are sending you can validate some details at least - for example

https://www.ibancalculator.com/iban_validieren.html

Enter the iban here - one guy was asking for a months rent + deposit to be sent to an iban registered with a prepaid credit card company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I am afraid with C.E.O. offers coming soon the time is ripe for students desperately seeking a place to be ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If people are dumb enough to pay a couple of grand deposit for a place they have never even seen then ive no sympathies tbh, regardless of the toilet the rental market currently is.

If people are dumb enough to pay a couple of grand deposit for a place they have never even seen then ive no sympathies tbh, regardless of the toilet the rental market currently is.
    This whole accommodation scam has been highlighted so much that if you are caught out
    tough luck. Life's a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

If it looks too good to be true, the chances are it’s a scam.

If the photos contain air conditioning vents or 2 pin plugs, it’s definitely not an Irish apartment.

If the owner is currently out of the country, is offering a great deal and provides a sob/convoluted story, it is also a scam. Be careful of fake Airbnb links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Edgware wrote: »
    This whole accommodation scam has been highlighted so much that if you are caught out
    tough luck. Life's a bitch

I agree to some extent - but considering the amount of new people to the market (fisrt time renters, student, newcomers to the country) and the amount of pressure people are under to find a place (you have to send a whole load of identity-theivable docs, security deposits to agents etc) I can see why people may not be thinking clearly and fall victim to such scams - hence a friendly reminder with some common tips!

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »
    I agree to some extent - but considering the amount of new people to the market (fisrt time renters, student, newcomers to the country) and the amount of pressure people are under to find a place (you have to send a whole load of identity-theivable docs, security deposits to agents etc) I can see why people may not be thinking clearly and fall victim to such scams - hence a friendly reminder with some common tips!

It is such a nightmare now for students. I know that some of the old style flats and bedsits were fairly bad but a lot of them werent. They served their purpose and were often very handy to UCC UCD Trinity etc.
    I had a shared flat on the South Circular rd Dublin. No taxi fares, Bathroom on ground floor for three bedsits and similar upstairs. Landlord taking cash of course and declaring half.
    Decent skin would hold the deposit if you said youd be back in September.
    It did the job for us but the snowflakes want an apartment with an ensuite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

On the flip side there are some “professional tenants” duping landlords.

They provide false IDs and work and accommodation references come across very well presented and very like able. Their purpose to secure apartment for prostitution etc. once they’re in they stop paying rent and it takes for ever to get them out.

One lot I came across letting apartment myself. I had a lucky escape. Never ring the phone number on the reference. Google the company ring the main number listed online. Look out for copy and paste references, company logos, false addresses. Don’t ring mobile numbers for employer references. Google previous accommodation.

On the other occasion I wasn’t so lucky I used a letting agent who didn’t care if references were false and I lost a years rent and gained a lot of stress.

Advertisement