Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Church records

Options
  • 02-04-2018 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

A good few years ago I paid a local heritage site to get transcripts of church records for family. I am looking about now to find a marriage record of a relative in same church/time and I cannot see the local set up anymore.

Looking at the irishgenealogy.ie site, no results come up even for the old pre 1864 ones that I got years ago. I see that I can look in Rootsireland.ie but for a price even to browse. Years ago I thought you could browse there and only pay if you wanted further detail of some record. Is there any point in going into the National library? is there an index showing where records are kept?

This relative emigrated to America and I suspect like a sister, she married in her parish church prior to departure. It would be much easier to track the family with her married name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

cobham wrote: »
    A good few years ago I paid a local heritage site to get transcripts of church records for family. I am looking about now to find a marriage record of a relative in same church/time and I cannot see the local set up anymore.

Looking at the irishgenealogy.ie site, no results come up even for the old pre 1864 ones that I got years ago. I see that I can look in Rootsireland.ie but for a price even to browse. Years ago I thought you could browse there and only pay if you wanted further detail of some record. Is there any point in going into the National library? is there an index showing where records are kept?

This relative emigrated to America and I suspect like a sister, she married in her parish church prior to departure. It would be much easier to track the family with her married name.

If you know the parish and approximate date, you can search for free on the NLI website. Google the parish and NLI and it should come up. I believe that Find My past also have a free searchable database for church records. You would need to set up a free account but it would be easier to search than the NLI site. You can also purchase 24 hour access to rootsireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks for that. I did not realise there was a NLI site in addition the government one with the the post 1864 BMD records etc as well as some church records. I did not realise that Findmypast had the edge on Ancestry and the Mormon familysearch sites where I have also looked. So the daily subscription of 15 euro will allow you to look full information of records?

Off to get busy....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

cobham wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I did not realise there was a NLI site in addition the government one with the the post 1864 BMD records etc as well as some church records. I did not realise that Findmypast had the edge on Ancestry and the Mormon familysearch sites where I have also looked. So the daily subscription of 15 euro will allow you to look full information of records?

Off to get busy....:)

Yeah, I find it the easiest to search, but if you are only after one record, I would try the findmypast site first. If you want to drop me a pm with what you are looking for, I may be able to help you out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's the parish?

Both FMP and Ancestry have the same transcribed database from the NLI records but they only go to 1880. For many parishes, Rootsireland will have at least an extra generation of records. At €10 for a 24 hour sub, it's worth investigating what they have for the relevant area.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks ... sore eyes here from looking at scans of register in NLI site....I dont think she is there after all. I find it hard to imagine a young girl from subsistence farming background heading to USA alone as a young woman. She was eldest of family so no siblings gone ahead to sponsor her.

One idea might be to join a religious order as we had on another family line c 1874 who went all the way from Dublin to San Francisco as a 16 yr old to join a convent there. The nuns would have paid for the passage. But I think the pride of having a religious in the family would have come down the generations for this rural line.

I think we are at an end ....Thanks all for your interest and help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you want to PM me dates and names, I'll have a look on rootsireland for you.

Just a quick follow up, I was in Pearse Street Library, Dublin, research room, at the weekend....not been there in ages. I notice they now have a computer with Findmypast and Ancestry library editions available for visitors. :)

Just to remind people you will need a reading card for this room separate to ordinary library and to get one, bring some photo ID. It is a good place for work on a Saturday as open all day and decent cafe on same floor. It is one level up and there is a lift ( tho out of order last Sat) otherwise about lot of steps due to tall ceilings.

Thanks to all again for help with this query.

Advertisement