Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport to stop cars picking up passengers outside terminals

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

basill wrote: »
    They do have both DAA and Airport Police moving people on - they have to in order to fulfill various security rules and regulations. Its not an issue with cars coming and going and/or congestion its a money making exercise plain and simple.

It absolutely was an issue. Various times of the day throughout summer 2018 and 2019 there was total gridlock especially going to the T1 set down area. Queues all the way under T2.
    The issue was people waiting to pick people up, often for quite some time. Airport police could only do so much and often had more pressing issues.

I agree there proposal wasn't good enough. There should be 10 minutes free and then charged after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Simpler solutions, create a location at one of many spots there is land as a drive through if it's that bad, buses running to car parks anyway...

Drop off or collect from bus point.

Gets people away from the terminal.

Free drop off should be allowed. Two minutes. No cars collecting from the terminal, only public transport, with shuttle to a pick up place at Harristown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

How would the 15 minute free period be monitored and charged for us you go over time. Will it scan you going through an entrance barrier and then an exit barrier charging on exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

L1011 wrote: »
    Private operator failed (after a decent number of years at it I think) there before.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/urbus-sets-up-dublin-service-1.1310131

Transport from the suburbs to the airport really is not sustainable for a commercial operator. That particular service was trying to be all things to all men by taking a rather circuitous route at a poor frequency.

To be commercially feasible it needs to be serving major traffic generators such as the city centre.

Linking the north city suburbs and the airport really needs to be part of the PSO bus service in the city.
    Public transport is quite poor to the airport from many areas of the city. From Raheny the quickest way by public transport is to get a DART to the city and the 747 back out again, you're lucky if it takes an hour. A cab is 25min tops.

BusConnects will finally improve direct links and offer connections across the north city with DART through the following route network:

A2 - Airport-Drumcondra-City Centre-Rathmines-Terenure-Rathfarnham-Ballinteer-Dundrum

19 - Airport-Ballymun-Glasnevin-Drumcondra-Parnell Square East

24 - Airport-Charlestown-Glasnevin-Phibsborough-City Centre (Merrion Square)

N8- Blanchardstown SC-M50-Airport-R139-Clongriffin DART

L81 - Airport-River Valley-Swords-Malahide-Portmarnock-Baldoyle-Sutton DART

L83 - Airport-Swords-Donabate-Portrane

L85 - Airport-Swords-Lusk-Rush-Skerries-Balbriggan

I would still like to see the D4 spine route extended to the Airport, which would connect Beaumont, Artane and the Malahide Road directly to the Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I took that service from Blanch and it was less than ideal. Fair dues to them for having tried at least but it just wasn't a service which could ever work.

It went all over the place. It's quite frustrating to think that somewhere so close has no bus service to the airport unless you take at least two buses.

Caranica wrote: »
    It went all over the place. It's quite frustrating to think that somewhere so close has no bus service to the airport unless you take at least two buses.

That will change with the revised BusConnects network when the N8 is launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

"There, the first 15 minutes are free."
    - Grand. In this era of mobile phones, just rock up when the person lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

eggy81 wrote: »
    How would the 15 minute free period be monitored and charged for us you go over time. Will it scan you going through an entrance barrier and then an exit barrier charging on exit?

At Cork this happens. You go through an entry barrier which opens automatically. PResumably it scans your registration.

If you approach the exit barrier within 15 minutes it simply opens and you go on your merry way.

If you approach the exit barrier after 15 minutes the barrier won't open and you have to deposit €5 in coins in the coin bucket next to you for it to open. All displayed on signs.

It works. Though you do get people mooching about up at the nearby roundabout at the long term carpark waiting for the call from their passenger to come pick them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

LXFlyer wrote: »
    BusConnects will finally improve direct links and offer connections across the north city with DART through the following route network:

A2 - Airport-Drumcondra-City Centre-Rathmines-Terenure-Rathfarnham-Ballinteer-Dundrum

19 - Airport-Ballymun-Glasnevin-Drumcondra-Parnell Square East

24 - Airport-Charlestown-Glasnevin-Phibsborough-City Centre (Merrion Square)

N8- Blanchardstown SC-M50-Airport-R139-Clongriffin DART

L81 - Airport-River Valley-Swords-Malahide-Portmarnock-Baldoyle-Sutton DART

L83 - Airport-Swords-Donabate-Portrane

L85 - Airport-Swords-Lusk-Rush-Skerries-Balbriggan

I would still like to see the D4 spine route extended to the Airport, which would connect Beaumont, Artane and the Malahide Road directly to the Airport.

I look forward to seeing some of these services in action, in particular the N8. A little worried that the journey times won't decrease by much, but it will be great to have options.

For example the L81 seems to be a replacement for the 102. I caught that one evening at half five and it took me until half six to get to Malahide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Public transport is quite poor to the airport from many areas of the city. From Raheny the quickest way by public transport is to get a DART to the city and the 747 back out again, you're lucky if it takes an hour. A cab is 25min tops.

From where I live I can drive to the airport in 15 minutes.

Aircoach is at best 45 minutes – from the point that I board.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

This seems to be common place on the continent usually barriers at the pick up/drop-off area noticed it when in taxis going to and from airports abroad.

I look forward to seeing some of these services in action, in particular the N8. A little worried that the journey times won't decrease by much, but it will be great to have options.

For example the L81 seems to be a replacement for the 102. I caught that one evening at half five and it took me until half six to get to Malahide.

The L81 is a like for like replacement for the 102.

An hour for that trip seems crazy even with traffic.

It should only take 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

At Cork this happens. You go through an entry barrier which opens automatically. PResumably it scans your registration.

If you approach the exit barrier within 15 minutes it simply opens and you go on your merry way.

If you approach the exit barrier after 15 minutes the barrier won't open and you have to deposit €5 in coins in the coin bucket next to you for it to open. All displayed on signs.

It works. Though you do get people mooching about up at the nearby roundabout at the long term carpark waiting for the call from their passenger to come pick them up!

Same system in Knock,works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blanchardstown

17A, then switch to the 41 or 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

17A, then switch to the 41 or 16.

Not practical, not regular, not reliable and not Bus Eireann or Aircoach as the post I replied to specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Transport from the suburbs to the airport really is not sustainable for a commercial operator. That particular service was trying to be all things to all men by taking a rather circuitous route at a poor frequency.

To be commercially feasible it needs to be serving major traffic generators such as the city centre.

Linking the north city suburbs and the airport really needs to be part of the PSO bus service in the City
    The Airport Hopper service from Tallaght and Maynooth appeared to performing quite well prior to Covid.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The Airport Hopper service from Tallaght and Maynooth appeared to performing quite well prior to Covid.

It does however serve several different areas en route:
    Liffey Valley for Palmerstown, Lucan, Leixlip, and Maynooth
    Liffey Valley for Palmerstown, Clondalkin and Tallaght

That's more likely to succeed as a commercial service than a single suburb service to Blanchardstown.

Not practical, not regular, not reliable and not Bus Eireann or Aircoach as the post I replied to specified.

You could certainly say that the 17a/16/41 option is less practical if travelling with luggage, due to having to make a change en route, and that it would take considerably longer than a direct route along the M50

However to say that the service is not regular is rubbish. The 17a in normal times is every 15-20 minutes, and the connections in Santry operate every 10-12 minutes (16), and every 20 minutes (41) during the day.

The 17a in theory is every 20mins. In practice I regularly waited 45mins in Santry for an eastbound one when commuting home from the airport.

• Advertisement

The 17a in theory is every 20mins. In practice I regularly waited 45mins in Santry for an eastbound one when commuting home from the airport.

When roughly (in terms of years) are you talking about out of curiosity?

There have been quite a few changes lately in the bus service (as in the last couple of years).

When roughly (in terms of years) are you talking about out of curiosity?

There have been quite a few changes lately in the bus service (as in the last couple of years).

March 2020. I used cycle the warmer months, and take the 16/41 then 17a home for the winter months.

EDIT: Just checked my records (I kept records). 14th Jan 2020 was my last 40min wait for the bus.

When one must wait for the bus to arrive one has plenty of time to keep records it seems.

March 2020. I used cycle the warmer months, and take the 16/41 then 17a home for the winter months.

EDIT: Just checked my records (I kept records). 14th Jan 2020 was my last 40min wait for the bus.

That sounds like a departure didn't operate for whatever reason - that could happen on any route to be fair. Are you saying that was the norm? To be honest, having commuted on orbital routes over the years, I always would check the RTPI whilst still on the first bus before getting off to avoid precisely that scenario.

But there are major changes planned.

In addition to the N8 (Blanchardstown-Airport-Clongriffin service every 30 minutes) mentioned above, BusConnects envisages a big increase in frequency on the other main orbital routes - the N4 (Blanchardstown-Finglas-Collins Avenue-Docklands) and the N6 (Finglas-Ballymun-Santry-Coolock-Howth Road) routes are planned to operate every 10 minutes throughout the day.

The full list of planned routes and frequencies can be found here:
    https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/new-dublin-area-bus-network/

It would regularly happen on the 17a that two of them caught up with each other. Particularly at am or pm peak. Sometimes they'd run in convoy the whole way home, other times if the bus wasn't busy they'd take one out of service and combine the passengers on the other one.

It also didn't help my journey time that the stop for the 41 was a 7minute walk from the stop for the 17a, 3mins of which was along the road the 17a was on so you could see it passing you.

I only started keeping records in Dec 2019, I had planned to record my commute time for a year but that didn't happen. Otherwise I'd have a nice graph to present :) But looking back at the three months I do have, the typical wait was 15mins, with 25mins encountered at least once a week. RTPI was inaccurate, as the bus could be stuck in traffic on Santry Ave. that one day would take a minute to clear, other days 10mins.

I only have three instances of >35min wait recorded, but when you wait that long at a bus stop you remember it. Especially since my house was a 45min walk from Santry.

By the way, for obvious reasons I haven't had to take this bus in 12months, just looked it up on Google Maps there now. Has the route been renamed the 171?

(I'm doing research into airport surface access for work, I didn't just record my commute times for fun. Although it was fun).

It would regularly happen on the 17a that two of them caught up with each other. Particularly at am or pm peak. Sometimes they'd run in convoy the whole way home, other times if the bus wasn't busy they'd take one out of service and combine the passengers on the other one.

It also didn't help my journey time that the stop for the 41 was a 7minute walk from the stop for the 17a, 3mins of which was along the road the 17a was on so you could see it passing you.

I only started keeping records in Dec 2019, I had planned to record my commute time for a year but that didn't happen. Otherwise I'd have a nice graph to present :) But looking back at the three months I do have, the typical wait was 15mins, with 25mins encountered at least once a week. RTPI was inaccurate, as the bus could be stuck in traffic on Santry Ave. that one day would take a minute to clear, other days 10mins.

I only have three instances of >35min wait recorded, but when you wait that long at a bus stop you remember it. Especially since my house was a 45min walk from Santry.

By the way, for obvious reasons I haven't had to take this bus in 12months, just looked it up on Google Maps there now. Has the route been renamed the 171?

(I'm doing research into airport surface access for work, I didn't just record my commute times for fun. Although it was fun).

No the service is still the 17A. It's a data error on some feeds apparently on GoAhead operated routes (A becomes 1).

I do get that people remember long waits, but in my experience that can often mean that they unfairly remember those over all the times that it did actually work.

You are right in that for connections to work at locations such as Santry, the stops need to be close to one another. The current set-up is appalling.

To be fair the RTPI cannot tell how long a bus will take if it is stuck randomly in traffic. The RTPI journey times are based on applying the stop-by-stop schedule to the GPS location of the bus, updated every 30 seconds. But if something stops the bus from moving, it will continue to display the same expected time until it gets going again.

I was really referring to RTPI where it would tell you that there wouldn't be a bus for 40 mins before you got off the 16 or 41, in which case it would probably be best going into town and back out. Incidentally the map on the NTA Journey Planner app now shows the physical location of Dublin Bus vehicles (not GoAhead sadly) which is helpful, especially if you know that there's an unpredictable junction between the bus and your location.

Anyways, hopefully the info at the link above will help in seeing the planned improved access to/from the airport, either directly or with connections.

Advertisement