Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Necro wrote: »
    Nope, you're changing the argument now, both of you.

If the Sligo lad signs with a DDSL club then obviously he can't play with his local team, but what can you do about that.

DDSL have a development squad that tour the country, play in stuff like the Kennedy Cup etc, that's separate from the local club and he can play in that AND for his local club (although if he's playing for a Sligo club he'll be on the Sligo/Leitrim team)

No you just can't read. Go read my original comment about the DDSL, as you'll see it's unedited.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

D14Rugby wrote: »
    No you just can't read. Go read my original comment about the DDSL, as you'll see it's unedited.

And back to the condescending :rolleyes:

And back to the condescending :rolleyes:

I take it you read it then... Apology accepted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I take it you read it then... Apology accepted.

You're deliberately misrepresenting what my point was.

My issue with these LOI clubs underage teams are that they specifically prohibit little Johnny from playing with his local club in my area, meaning he doesn't get to spend his formative years with the club that initially nurtured him, and spend time with his mates etc.

The youth development squads around the country don't disbar little Johnny from playing with his local club, but he still gets a taste of a higher level of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I have an idea. How about we cobble together all the country’s finest talent and plough all the resourses into a super club that can compete on the world stage

They can represent Ireland too. They may not be amazing technically but the chemistry will be 99 across the board. Combined with the right application borne of rigorous fitness drills they will surely deliver

• Advertisement

My issue with these LOI clubs underage teams are that they specifically prohibit little Johnny from playing with his local club in my area, meaning he doesn't get to spend his formative years with the club that initially nurtured him, and spend time with his mates etc.

The youth development squads around the country don't disbar little Johnny from playing with his local club, but he still gets a taste of a higher level of football.

And you're deliberately ignoring getting angry because you didn't read what I said properly.

And here's the thing, the exact same thing has been happening for decades except on a worse scale because wherever you were in the country if you wanted to be noticed you had to play in the DDSL so had to commute to Dublin for training and matches. And even if you weren't able to go to the ddsl there are clubs all over the country that kids would be scouted by at young ages and encouraged to join because they had contacts to a scout or something meaning little Johnny wasn't playing with his mates anyway before the LOI underage structures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

How is pointing out that LOI fans were the first ones the be anti Delaney condescending?

If by the gombeens in charge you mean the FAI, than you supporting the LOI is giving them the finger if anything.

Yeah because that's not exactly what the likes of Kevin's, Joeys, etc have been doing for decades already. I know a guy who traveled from sligo to play for a DDSL club for god sake, if anything the LOI underage structure stops what you're complaining about a bit. Most LOI clubs have partnerships with local clubs too to allow players to play with their mates for longer too.

Not where I'm from.

Playing for DDSL does not stop that lad from Sligo playing for his local club, they're a development squad - it's not the same thing. A young 13 year old has to sign with Dundalk to play with them as I've been led to believe, barring him from playing with his local club - that's stupid imo.

If a Sligo lad signs for a DDSL team he cannot play for his local club in that season. Same way a lad in dundalk can't play with a Dundalk club and DDSL team like Kevin's.

On this point, Do you think in England the big clubs let local lads u 14s etc play with their local teams ?

And you're deliberately ignoring getting angry because you didn't read what I said properly.

And here's the thing, the exact same thing has been happening for decades except on a worse scale because wherever you were in the country if you wanted to be noticed you had to play in the DDSL so had to commute to Dublin for training and matches. And even if you weren't able to go to the ddsl there are clubs all over the country that kids would be scouted by at young ages and encouraged to join because they had contacts to a scout or something meaning little Johnny wasn't playing with his mates anyway before the LOI underage structures.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

There wasn't a problem with the DDSL hoovering up talent from my club decades ago, or even ten years ago.

Now that the LOI are building underage structures, there is a problem.

It forms part of the reason why I won't support my local LOI club, which was my initial point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people, me included, do not have the time to go to actual games.

So sitting at home, I can turn on the TV and watch some nice goals etc.

That's fine. My point is that sometimes teams, managers and players look to this figurative entity known as the 12th Man. My money is that they're talking about those in the various actual grounds, be they Anfield or Lansdowne, and not some fella with a remote in hand or streaming a game online.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

There wasn't a problem with the DDSL hoovering up talent from my club decades ago, or even ten years ago.

Now that the LOI are building underage structures, there is a problem.

It forms part of the reason why I won't support my local LOI club, which was my initial point.

Oh I forgot your local club was the only one we were talking about. Sorry about that :rolleyes:

It's a problem that the best players in areas get to play against the other best players in the country without having to commute to Dublin now?

• Advertisement

If a Sligo lad signs for a DDSL team he cannot play for his local club in that season. Same way a lad in dundalk can't play with a Dundalk club and DDSL team like Kevin's.

On this point, Do you think in England the big clubs let local lads u 14s etc play with their local teams ?

And again you're the third to pick me up wrong when I'm talking about development squads, of which the player can only be a part of if he's signed to a team in that squad's area - therefore his 'local' club would be a DDSL one.

I don't really like that either, but I've less of an issue with it than I have the LOI underage prohibiting players.

As for the big clubs in England, it's likely the exact same, but forms no basis in my points about why I won't follow my local LOI club.

Oh I forgot your local club was the only one we were talking about. Sorry about that :rolleyes:

It's a problem that the best players in areas get to play against the other best players in the country without having to commute to Dublin now?

They get that anyways through the development leagues :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't realise I was supposed to generalise my own reasons for not following my local LOI club :pac:

And again you're the third to pick me up wrong when I'm talking about development squads, of which the player can only be a part of if he's signed to a team in that squad's area - therefore his 'local' club would be a DDSL one.

I don't really like that either, but I've less of an issue with it than I have the LOI underage prohibiting players.

As for the big clubs in England, it's likely the exact same, but forms no basis in my points about why I won't follow my local LOI club.

Nobody is "picking you up wrong" you got it wrong.

They get that anyways through the development leagues :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't realise I was supposed to generalise my own reasons for not following my local LOI club :pac:

They don't though. Because once you get into LOI ages grade level the development league teams aren't the best players because the best players are playing LOI

They don't though. Because once you get into LOI ages grade level the development league teams aren't the best players because the best players are playing LOI

Knowing of a couple of coaches in the development squads they don't seem to think this is the case yet though, maybe over time, but the structure isn't right or fair to local clubs at the moment.

Imo anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Well a lad from Dundalk who plays with a club in the DDSL is hardly gonna be allowed play with the Dundalk Schoolboys League squad and not the DDSL squad. That would just be silly

Well a lad from Dundalk who plays with a club in the DDSL is hardly gonna be allowed play with the Dundalk Schoolboys League squad and not the DDSL squad. That would just be silly

Yes, but he's allowed to play for the club that he's signed for, AND the DDSL squad, that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Sure isn't it a basic human right to support any team you like.

Knowing of a couple of coaches in the development squads they don't seem to think this is the case yet though, maybe over time, but the structure isn't right or fair to local clubs at the moment.

Imo anyways.

Well of course they're not going to say it, they have a vested interest, but once you get to U13 level the best players from all the leagues drain out to LOI clubs because the LOI clubs themselves pull their team out or enter a weaker team and the best players from other teams transfer to LOI teams to play at a higher level with better coaching. Like look at the DDSL, the strongest league in the country, in the U13 premier Shamrock Rovers second team are 4th, Kevins(Bohs) second team are 5th, Cabinteely and Joeys second teams are up there too. Similar story at U15s. These are the second teams of LOI clubs and they're leading the way in the top divisions of the DDSL, that says it all really.

Yes, but he's allowed to play for the club that he's signed for, AND the DDSL squad, that's the difference.

Jesus do you still not get it. The original point was someone was playing for A DDSL CLUB so therefore not playing for their local club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I thought it was a mistake when he started doing that with me but it's clearly his argument tactic.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    God I hope Liverpool sink like a stone next season. My club. What is your relationship with Liverpool. You picked them. Because they were good. "my club". Your club is Cabinteely my friend.

I'll still support them. My club isn't caninteely at all. You don't own something by proximity to where you happen to be living at a point in time. I'd have had about 10 different clubs in different countries if that was the case.

Yes I support Liverpool. They are my team, i.e. the club I watch every game of, feel pride in and the club that bring me joy.

Yes I picked them, so what? I enjoy being a supporter. It's great, and especially right now. But we've sunk like a stone before and it's still been enjoyable

I hope you enjoy whatever it is you're interested in. I just find it curious that you care so much about when brings me joy and to the point of praying to god that my team so badly to somehow teach me a lesson I guess? Why do you care so much about who I support or why? My mentality is simply each to their own, we're all different with different interests.

I'm sorry mate but there's no rules on who to support and personally I have no problem with people changing clubs they support, that might be for you and more power to you but I'm not going to be changing who I support no matter where they end up so pray away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

If Northern Ireland had a brilliant league and people were supporting teams up North instead of English teams, would that feel any better?

I'm guess I'm asking if this whole thing bothers some people just because it's "English".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If Northern Ireland had a brilliant league and people were supporting teams up North instead of English teams, would that feel any better?

I'm guess I'm asking if this whole thing bothers some people just because it's "English".

Another one, if our Polish friends who have moved here started to support, say Dundalk, would they be told to go support Wisla Krakow instead?

Another one, if our Polish friends who have moved here started to support, say Dundalk, would they be told to go support Wisla Krakow instead?

😂

That would be kind of hilarious. I'd totally read a thread on that.

There's definitely a hypocrisy or irony to it when you see people hating on the English while wearing the kits of their teams though.

8-10 wrote: »
    My mentality is simply each to their own

It's quite the opposite of that to be honest hence the thread.

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's definitely a hypocrisy or irony to it when you see people hating on the English while wearing the kits of their teams though.

Doesn't surprise me someone in 2019 hating on the English would be braindead enough to think "Liverpool FC are different".

Sure half of Liverpool are Irish.

I can already hear their logic...

Not at all. They live here now so why not both? Blue in the face saying this but most people that support football in this country would be delighted if people had a team from here as well as one abroad. You can do both. It's been said umpteen times.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's quite the opposite of that to be honest hence the thread.

Where have I said that it's not a personal choice and everybody is allowed support whomever they want at any point in time?

That's my feeling on it. You are free to be a fan of any team or any sport and who am I to judge the reasons why?

This thread is about what the reasons are for supporting English clubs, we've gone through many reasons. It's gone off on some LOI tangents but at heart it's about English clubs and why we support them.

Personally I don't think the reasons matter, but if people want to know I'll tell them - I enjoy supporting my team and I get to see every game they play with ease. I feel pride when they do well, disappointment when they don't, but overall a sense of joy having something like a favourite sports team as an emotional outlet. It's an English team probably because of multiple reasons - family, advertising, glory, consumerism, Irish players, ease of watching games etc etc. As reasons don't matter that much to me I haven't really thought all that much about it before this thread.

But I don't expect my reasons to be the same as someone else's. And I don't expect everybody to think the same as me or to also support teams from England, or expect everybody to support a local team out of patriotism, or expect everybody to be true fans of the sport, or expect everybody to buy into the consumerism or productisation of leagues like the EPL.

I think it's each to their own, whatever brings you joy is a good thing to do.

Advertisement