Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal Airport

Options
  • 15-09-2014 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭

Just updating my Jeppesen manuals, noticed that the airport directory for Ireland has a new airport called Donegal.

Where did this come from?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smurfjed wrote: »
    Just updating my Jeppesen manuals, noticed that the airport directory for Ireland has a new airport called Donegal.

Where did this come from?

Its the trading name for CFN/EIDL which has been open for over 20 years - may have had Carrickfinn in as its name before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

It's probably close to that old airfield called Carrickfin. Which will be now ploughed under and turned into a sheep pasture or used for growing praties. :p

Probably another example of corporate rebranding. The tourists will flock in now, where as before Carrickfin was ignored because no one know where it was. ;)

I'm surprised it wasn't called 'Ireland North West' or something. Next Dublin will be called Ireland East!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Last time that i was up that way, i landed in Billy Pattersons field :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IrishAir98

CFN/EIDL has got the best approach in Ireland! Blue flag beaches, Mountains, Beautiful Coast line and never forget the bog! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Anyone remember when a Donegal man wanted to operate into CFN in the private 737-300 he inherited?
    It never actually got to operate there due short runway.
    Reg was N117DF at the time.It had been into Dublin before the original owner died.
    Longshot but if anyone got a pic it would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

N117DF, is that the 737 thats owned by Jim Baroni now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Donegal Carrickfinn Airport has been open for quite a while. With PSO to Dublin and flights to Glasgow, it is used a bit.
    To the OP: Here's a shocker, Kerry and Sligo have airports too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

N117DF, is that the 737 thats owned by Jim Baroni now?

Thats the one.Now registered N444HE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

folbotcar wrote: »
    It's probably close to that old airfield called Carrickfin. Which will be now ploughed under and turned into a sheep pasture or used for growing praties. :p

Probably another example of corporate rebranding. The tourists will flock in now, where as before Carrickfin was ignored because no one know where it was. ;)

I'm surprised it wasn't called 'Ireland North West' or something.

Reykjavik Southeast

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

1024px-Untitled_Boeing_737-300%3B_N444HE@ZRH%3B28.01.2012_640av_(6796365609).jpg

• Advertisement

The above aircraft N444HE had a very lucky escape taking off from Riyadh a few years ago, they hadn't covered the engines during a sand storm, when they tried to takeoff afterwards, one engine completely failed and they had less than takeoff power available from the other one, they managed to do a very short circuit and landed safely, needless to say, that aircraft now has the best engine covers that were ever designed !
    To the OP: Here's a shocker, Kerry and Sligo have airports too
    Yep, knew that, i probably flew into them when you were still in diapers :) But the question about Donegal was related to the very recent inclusion of that airport into Jeppesen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

My NOTAMS tell me there is a troll alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

smurfjed wrote: »

Yep, knew that, i probably flew into them when you were still in diapers :) But the question about Donegal was related to the very recent inclusion of that airport into Jeppesen.

As far as I know it was always included in the Jepps. At least it was when we flew in there. With the change to Navtech we only carry the plates to the airports we fly to.

More annoying was Knock, they were forever changing the name and we had to update and move the plates alphabetically around the binder:(

As a side note while playing with our new FMS database I found an entry EIMS, it's about 20 miles east of Shannon with over 2000m declared distance available.
    Passing overhead I realised why I didn't see that length of a strip of concrete before............ It's the seaplane base at Lough Derg:D

Hudson approach anyone;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭KnotABother

I had the misfortune of doing an NDB approach to Donegal...cant remember which runway(dont think it mattered to be honest). Beacon dropped in and out a lot and there is quite a bit of high ground in the area. Went visual at minimums bang on the QDM and the runway was in a preposterous position in relation to me....and there was a crosswind :/

My NOTAMS tell me there is a troll alert!
    Not sure if this is pointed at me...... but if it is, you really need to wind your neck in, i asked a legitimate question based on Jeppesen data in an Aviation forum !

1st page, no DONEGAL.... 2nd page new revision, addition of DONEGAL in between CORK and DUBLIN

15074543100_323cacb482_o.jpg

15074707348_ce1b9c2780_o.jpg

Paper copy of Jeppesen charts has the change bar beside DONEGAL

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was it there under Carrickfinn before?

Its a fairly major airport to leave out entirely if they have the three Aran Islands in!

Nope, Birr followed by Casement (see Baldonnel) and Clonbullogue......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would Donegal have many passengers going through the airport each month?

i assume that it cant take 320s/737, even 319s and smaller boeings?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well the only scheduled flights are operated by Loganair on behalf of Flybe using a 34 seater Saab SF340 to/from:

Dublin (twice daily)
    Glasgow (MoWeFrSu) (Extra two days during the summer)

More information from the airport website:
    http://www.donegalairport.ie/

35,000 passengers annually, so 100 passengers a day.

• Advertisement

Has formerly had ATR42 and F50 service but nothing much bigger than a Saab 2000 ever comes in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I wonder is there any additional flights to Dublin for the All-Ireland on Sunday, Aer Lingus Regional have added capacity from Kerry to Dublin for the game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aer Lingus have decided to have the service to Glasgow, just as flybe did.

I was under the best impression Loganair were keeping onto that one? I imagine it makes a fair bit of profit, but would a bigger plane mean lower frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

man98 wrote: »
    I was under the best impression Loganair were keeping onto that one? I imagine it makes a fair bit of profit, but would a bigger plane mean lower frequency?

2pw till April, then 4pw.

Loganair are not selling tickets, nor are Flybe so id imagine its gone. Where would the aircraft come from anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Does anyone know if the charter from Donegal to Aberdeen operated by Eastern Airways is still running? Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

VG31 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the charter from Donegal to Aberdeen operated by Eastern Airways is still running? Thanks. :)

Last I had logged was mid-May and only one since then has been the EZE9047 down to Dublin on 24th June.

Contract was for six years from 2014 so presumably will pick-up pace again. Are oil crew changes seasonal? I have no idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IrishAir98

This last few weeks quite a few Jetstreams have been seen flying in and out of CFN especially the last week or so.

IrishAir98 wrote: »
    This last few weeks quite a few Jetstreams have been seen flying in and out of CFN especially the last week or so.

Doh! Silly me, I was just searching for the SAABs.

Here's the latest JS41 I found out of Donegal:

http://fr24.com/2015-07-01/14:19/12x/EZE9562/6aeb03d

• Advertisement

09:00 JS41 G-MAJL inbound as EZE9561

Advertisement