Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Took a week for the sim to arrive. Now having trouble logging in. Wont allow me to set a password.. Says service temporarily unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cloonymee

Have people been able to login to their site? I’ve been trying to the last few days and their site seems to be having problems with logins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

cloonymee wrote: »
    Have people been able to login to their site? I’ve been trying to the last few days and their site seems to be having problems with logins!

I'm having a similar issue. Chat help suggested clearing cashe. It didn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

They must be updating the website this evening. When I try log in it tells me the service is temporarily unavailable. Was working up to this afternoon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

DopeTech wrote: »
    They must be updating the website this evening. When I try log in it tells me the service is temporarily unavailable. Was working up to this afternoon though.

Hope it's not like Three,constantly being updated and never working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 rusdeol77

Wondering if anyone can answer this....

Ordered a sim for teenage son, which has been dispatched. Daughter now looking to switch over, and son still has over 2 weeks left on his current plan.

When the sim arrives, can I use it for my daughter to port over, even though the order has my son's name? Like, can I register it to Mary even if it was ordered in John's name, as it's a new account? Will it make a difference? I can then order another sim for my son, as he can wait a couple of weeks to switch.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

rusdeol77 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can answer this....

Ordered a sim for teenage son, which has been dispatched. Daughter now looking to switch over, and son still has over 2 weeks left on his current plan.

When the sim arrives, can I use it for my daughter to port over, even though the order has my son's name? Like, can I register it to Mary even if it was ordered in John's name, as it's a new account? Will it make a difference? I can then order another sim for my son, as he can wait a couple of weeks to switch.
    Yep, the name & address a SIM is sent to is irrelevant.

The account is only set up when you activate the SIM on the 48 website and at that stage you can put in any name you like. You can even change the name at any stage afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Was on Tesco(using the 02 network) from near enough their set up and never had a problem with coverage over 7 years.Coverage did not change since 3 bought 02.Tesco did have 1 short break in service - an 02 network fault in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rusdeol77

Quackster wrote: »
    Yep, the name & address a SIM is sent to is irrelevant.

The account is only set up when you activate the SIM on the 48 website and at that stage you can put in any name you like. You can even change the name at any stage afterwards!

Excellent, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Got a SIM from them with 1gb for me to try their network. I registered the SIM and can receive calls but data isn't working. Contacted 48 and they haven't bothered to reply. I will be staying well away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Did you put in the APN settings.
    It's in the help and FAQ
    https://community.48.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/Trouble-using-data-roaming-connecting-to-a-network-abroad/td-p/52110

1. Name- 48 Internet
    2. APN - 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    3. Proxy - Not set
    4. Port - Not set
    5. Username - user
    6. Password - Not set
    7. Server - Not set
    8. MMSC - http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    9. MMS proxy - 10.1.11.19
    10. MMS port - 8080
    11. MCC - 272
    12. MNC - 11
    13. Authentication type - PAP
    14. APN type - default, supl, mms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have had the sim in a few days to try out. Coverage is generally good out and about. Not quite as good at home though. With Vodafone I always have 4 bar 4G. 48 is switches drops to 3G a good bit and signal drops to 2/3 bars and speeds are much lower. I'll can get 40mbs down on Vodafone and only 2mbs or so on 48. Never completely lose signal though. I had to switch from eir as I only had a signal half the time inside my house and constantly missed calls and would only get a text about it half an hour later.

Think I'll port, main thing is that I receive calls at home the data speeds aren't usually an issue as I'm on wifi unless the power is out! Probably worth it to save the €12 a month. Probably will port a few family members to. If data speeds are an issue out and about I'll switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

how long dose 1gb last for 1 month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryath wrote: »
    Have had the sim in a few days to try out. Coverage is generally good out and about. Not quite as good at home though. With Vodafone I always have 4 bar 4G. 48 is switches drops to 3G a good bit and signal drops to 2/3 bars and speeds are much lower. I'll can get 40mbs down on Vodafone and only 2mbs or so on 48. Never completely lose signal though. I had to switch from eir as I only had a signal half the time inside my house and constantly missed calls and would only get a text about it half an hour later.

Think I'll port, main thing is that I receive calls at home the data speeds aren't usually an issue as I'm on wifi unless the power is out! Probably worth it to save the €12 a month. Probably will port a few family members to. If data speeds are an issue out and about I'll switch back.
    I'm in same boat, Vodafone is better but at a premium. Eir is constantly dropping signal and the late text re missed calls. Once it's signal all the time and enough data speeds, then it sounds good.
    Sounds like a good few are leaving gomo
    I can't find details of voicemail on website, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    how long dose 1gb last for 1 month ?

1 week

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

lertsnim wrote: »
    Got a SIM from them with 1gb for me to try their network. I registered the SIM and can receive calls but data isn't working. Contacted 48 and they haven't bothered to reply. I will be staying well away from them.

Are your phone data settings set to the 48 network? I had a similar issue I had to change the settings from Vodafone to 48.

I live out rural, and got a SIM as my 3 is ok out here for data, and the Gomo is ok for calls. I thought the 48 could replace both.

I dunno what's going on, but the data signal on the 48 is utter rubbish. Bad enough that it won't load speedtest.net!

I'm getting a new phone on Tuesday, so will try it in that as it's an old phone I'm using now. But if no improvement, I'll be sticking with 3 and Gomo

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

I live out rural, and got a SIM as my 3 is ok out here for data, and the Gomo is ok for calls. I thought the 48 could replace both.

I dunno what's going on, but the data signal on the 48 is utter rubbish. Bad enough that it won't load speedtest.net!

I'm getting a new phone on Tuesday, so will try it in that as it's an old phone I'm using now. But if no improvement, I'll be sticking with 3 and Gomo

48 is using 3's network, so it should be the exact same coverage, speeds ect. I'm not sure what's happening so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just a heads up.
    Living in Fermoy.
    Went from Tesco to 48 this week,
    Both seem identical. LTE anywhere I have been since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Does it matter which phone you use? I have an iPhone 6S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭glen123

Is data working at all?
    Mine wasn't working and I knew 3 coverage was excellent where I am in the country.

I had to enter the APN settings manually on my phone and it started working instantly.

Make sure that your settings match those below.

APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default,mms,supl

It that APN Type doesn't work then try:
    APN Type: *

Leave all other fields blank/not set (including Authentication type).

Make sure that data roaming is enabled.

Make sure that data is enabled.

Taken from here:
    https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/My-Internet-is-not-working/ta-p/45928

Is data roaming switched on? You could use this app if on android to see if 3 and 48 are attempting to connect to the same cell tower.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

In general, APN settings only needs the following entries....

APN Name: 48
    APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default
    (or leave blank)

All other entries can remain 'not set' or blank.

MMS settings only affect MMS and are not needed for data to work.

Problems with data connectivity could be because of retained settings from previous SIMs used in the phone.

Generally 3 and 48 aren't that fussy about the APN and will accept anything entered as long as MCC and MNC are correct.

Also check that Data Roaming is ON

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I used the 3 APN settings and they also work grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Does it matter which phone you use? I have an iPhone 6S.

As long as it is network unlocked it would work fine.

Have a question for anyone who's been with 48 a while. Do you need to turn off membership auto-renewal if you want to use your credit for a month or 2 to buy the memberships? It looks like you do need to but I just wanted to ask in case I'm missing something obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

vectra wrote: »
    Just a heads up.
    Living in Fermoy.
    Went from Tesco to 48 this week,
    Both seem identical. LTE anywhere I have been since.

48 and Tesco are both using the Three network, so they should be the same...

DopeTech wrote: »
    Anybody know what network prefix to they give you if you want a new number from them?

The prefix from 48 on 089

bromley52 wrote: »
    Unless 48 have some different rules,

when roaming all calls made to any EU country from the country you are in are included, mobile or landline.

• Advertisement

Cant find the web chat button and i cant get my number to move.

Not a good start

Put 48 sim into an unlocked phone and activate it using the code.Then you can try porting it but you might have add credit first i.e. 7.99 euro.If the site does not respond i.e. the 48 symbol is spinning then refresh the page.

Advertisement