Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animals are here for us to kill, eat..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

0/

Probably don't have the energy levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

GreeBo wrote: »
    Probably don't have the energy levels?

Sure whatever you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Guess you’ve never seen how quick a fox dies in a hunt. It’s very quick. The chase is the painful part but once one or two hounds catch it it’s death is quick. Gruesome but quick.

I have no issue with killing foxes etc,have sheep farm....fox hunting is horrific cruel and wouldnt let em near the place

Fox hounds have no kill/choking instinct like terreirs...they literally eat the fox alive and theres no gaurantee its a quick death

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

_blaaz wrote: »
    I have no issue with killing foxes etc,have sheep farm....fox hunting is horrific cruel and wouldnt let em near the place

Fox hounds have no kill/choking instinct like terreirs...they literally eat the fox alive and theres no gaurantee its a quick death

I agree with you, it is necessary to kill animals for food and sometimes cull wildlife, or get rid of vermin. These are necessary but unpleasant tasks.
    Anyone that enjoys killing animals or considers it a sport for their enjoyment, would not rate highly in my estimation. They probably don't care but that is how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

_blaaz wrote: »

Wrong. A hound naturally grabs the fox by its throat and squeezes while the other Rio it to shreds but it’s already dead. I’ve seen it. Bet you haven’t.

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    No there not. Just because you don't like them doesnt make it ok to kill them. Rabbits that are not wild are a popular pet in Ireland and killing any rabbits for sport is disgusting and cruel. How does a rabbit or fox know that there producing too many young? Killing defenceless animals for sport is an evil act

Again WRONG. rats mice rabbits and fox are all classed as vermin!! Do I need to write it on your wall at your house for you to see it? I had pet rats and even then I still class them as vermin. Take your head out of your ärse pal. You won’t be changing my mind. Suppose you want animals to have a right to vote next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I don't really care what anybody eats provided they're not evangelical about it, I tried vegetarian\vegan diets and couldn't function on them. Some people just don't have the genetics to convert Beta-Carotene to Vit A, I think we're in the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

No there not. Just because you don't like them doesnt make it ok to kill them. Rabbits that are not wild are a popular pet in Ireland and killing any rabbits for sport is disgusting and cruel. How does a rabbit or fox know that there producing too many young? Killing defenceless animals for sport is an evil act
    its not about liking them foxes rabbits have little predators that means if population is not controlled it gets out of hand.

this thread is pathethic no farmers grows cows pigs sheep because they want to keep them as pets, animals are breed for food, in many cases its inhumane but we as people evolved because of meat not chewing grass, no person can survive on plant based food. If someone wants to be veggie good for them, as eating plant fibers day in day out isnt normal and not sustainable diet, many loonies might claim it is but reality without proper protein and fats one would be fcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

scamalert wrote: »
    its not about liking them foxes rabbits have little predators that means if population is not controlled it gets out of hand.

this thread is pathethic no farmers grows cows pigs sheep because they want to keep them as pets, animals are breed for food, in many cases its inhumane but we as people evolved because of meat not chewing grass, no person can survive on plant based food. If someone wants to be veggie good for them, as eating plant fibers day in day out isnt normal and not sustainable diet, many loonies might claim it is but reality without proper protein and fats one would be fcked.

So long as it's not coursing or fox hunting with dogs I'd agree

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Vegetables. They predominately require total ground clearance and nothing else to grow between the plants because they aren't capable of competing with any other plant. Then the ground from the earliest harvested crops is tilled again to grow a second crop, more organic matter breakdown and another sterile seedbed.

The later harvested crops will most likely have no other crop sown so ground will remain bare for an extended period until weeds can germinate to generate ground cover.

Oh I thought it was a special type of crop ;)

use no till, cover crops, crop rotation, add biochar, humic and fulvic acid base foliar application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Wrong. A hound naturally grabs the fox by its throat and squeezes while the other Rio it to shreds but it’s already dead. I’ve seen it. Bet you haven’t.

Excpet i have,several times

Ive never seen a hound grab any animal by the throat even in fights between em....tbh most foxhounds i seen are sh1t hunters anyways and its usually terriers do killing at end when fox geos to.ground

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

no person can survive on plant based food. If someone wants to be veggie good for them, as eating plant fibers day in day out isnt normal and not sustainable diet, many loonies might claim it is but reality without proper protein and fats one would be fcked.

How are any vegans still alive then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Again WRONG. rats mice rabbits and fox are all classed as vermin!! Do I need to write it on your wall at your house for you to see it? I had pet rats and even then I still class them as vermin. Take your head out of your ärse pal. You won’t be changing my mind. Suppose you want animals to have a right to vote next

I've no interest in changing your mind. We both know you cant 100% guarantee a quick and painless death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

At the end of the day Darwin summoned it up a long time ago when he wrote in "The Descent of Man".

"The savage can only feel empathy for himself and his family"

Whereas

"The most evolved Human feels empathy for all living things"

The argument between the two can never be resolved for obvious reasons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seanachai wrote: »
    I don't really care what anybody eats provided they're not evangelical about it, I tried vegetarian\vegan diets and couldn't function on them. Some people just don't have the genetics to convert Beta-Carotene to Vit A, I think we're in the majority.

Only learned about this recently, pro retinol I think, it's a pro drug for vitamin A?

I guess everyone is different, one person's diet may not suit another.

Anyway, just as well nobody is proscribing a diet for all and we can freely make choices as informed individuals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Haven't read the thread, but I find it ironic that many vegans own cats as pets. Cats are obligate carnivores and cannot survive on a meat free diet (ideally their diet is 100% meat).

Realistically vegans should be also campaigning for the end of cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

"Proper protein and fats"! The ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

"Proper protein and fats"! The ignorance.

2 million years of 'ignorance"? Grand so ...

archer22 wrote: »
    "The savage can only feel empathy for himself and his family"

"The most evolved Human feels empathy for all living things"

The argument between the two can never be resolved for obvious reasons.
    The reality is amazing people do care about all living things but most people are like myself in that they only care about what's close to them

Ultimitaly is comes down to the fact that meat tastes 100 times better than any vegetable and giving up meat after a lifetime of eating it is so so difficult

I've no interest in changing your mind. We both know you cant 100% guarantee a quick and painless death.

Yen’s I can. I won’t take a shot on any animal unless I know it’s going to be one shot and no suffering. People like you really pîss me off. You put us all into a same category as them fat dumb Americans that can’t shoot or hunt unless they’re sitting in a tree and shoot just because they can see the animal.
    I won’t shoot unless it’s going to die on the spot. And they always drop. So take your assumptions elsewhere. Instead of crying to the mods

• Advertisement

People like you really pîss me off. You put us all into a same category as them fat dumb Americans that can’t shoot or hunt unless they’re sitting in a tree and shoot just because they can see the animal.

Well people are allowed to disagree with you, it's called the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Ultimitaly is comes down to the fact that meat tastes 100 times better than any vegetable and giving up meat after a lifetime of eating it is so so difficult

In your opinion!

Ok, so what criteria does a species have to meet to be defined as ‘vermin’? Honest question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ok, so what criteria does a species have to meet to be defined as ‘vermin’? Honest question.

Wild animals that are harmful to crops, farm animal or game. Also disease carriers such as rodents.

Wild animals that are harmful to crops, farm animal or game. Also disease carriers such as rodents.

So Coillte released pine marten beside me, they eat pheasants, which are game, which people release for shooting, should they be vermin?

Deer beside me eat grass, should they be defined as vermin? How dare they eat grass like.

What about all our native predatory birds that are seemingly a threat to livestock, should they be classed as vermin? Why are they protected?

A game species such as salmon, dolphins and seals eat them. Should they be vermin? They eat our game species such as salmon. How dare they!!! Also, our native and protected otter eats our salmon and trout, should we cull them? If it suits us, like, why not..

What an amazing job we have done at culling badgers by the way, we are really winning that war on TB 😂

So how do we class what is vermin and what is not?
    Seems the class is very suited to our own selfish agenda to justify needless killing, maybe you can enlighten me though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So how do we class what is vermin and what is not? Seems the class is very suited to our own selfish agenda to justify needless killing, maybe you can enlighten me though!

You asked what was the criteria to describe animals as vermin, I answered using the accepted definition, apologies if somehow it upsets you but there it is . Won't be responding to any more of your nonsense.

You asked what was the criteria to describe animals as vermin, I answered using the accepted definition, apologies if somehow it upsets you but there it is . Won't be responding to any more of your nonsense.

Doesn’t upset me, just can’t understand and that’s why I asked!

Yen’s I can. I won’t take a shot on any animal unless I know it’s going to be one shot and no suffering. People like you really pîss me off. You put us all into a same category as them fat dumb Americans that can’t shoot or hunt unless they’re sitting in a tree and shoot just because they can see the animal.
    I won’t shoot unless it’s going to die on the spot. And they always drop. So take your assumptions elsewhere. Instead of crying to the mods

You can’t 100% guarantee anything.

By claiming you can you’re sounding like one of those Americans you’re talking about.

‘I won’t shoot unless it’s going to die on the spot’

Nostradamus is it ?

‘And they always drop’

John Rambo is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

We don’t or at least didn’t educate children ( from primary school level upwards ) enough about the eco system and wildlife. How many kids could name ten or fifteen birds or name wildlife particular to Ireland? Few I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Obviously humans can thrive with meat or without meat. Arguing that either is false is silly.

Advertisement